The Student Room Group

Do top universities focus too much on GCSE Grades?

I'd like to study at a top university and I've been looking at the i admission criterias. Most of the best universities in the country are looking for AAA* at AS and A2. I'm currently achieving these grades and I've been looking to apply for a Top 10 uni, but in their admissions criteria they also want mostly A*s and As at GCSE. I finished my GCSEs with an A in Maths and a B in every other subject because I never focused too much in classes and they were a wake up call for me to achieve higher grades at A-Level, which I have.
Do you think it's still worth applying or shall I just not waste my time?
Original post by nahkzzz
I'd like to study at a top university and I've been looking at the i admission criterias. Most of the best universities in the country are looking for AAA* at AS and A2. I'm currently achieving these grades and I've been looking to apply for a Top 10 uni, but in their admissions criteria they also want mostly A*s and As at GCSE. I finished my GCSEs with an A in Maths and a B in every other subject because I never focused too much in classes and they were a wake up call for me to achieve higher grades at A-Level, which I have.

Which universities are you looking at? As far as I know, apart from for Medicine, most universities - even the top ones - don't have very demanding GCSE requirements. Obviously, most people applying will have excellent GCSE results anyway, but that doesn't mean they're required. I don't think I've ever seen a University ask for many As and A*s at GCSE, apart from for Medicine. Where have you seen this?
Original post by Chlorophile
Which universities are you looking at? As far as I know, apart from for Medicine, most universities - even the top ones - don't have very demanding GCSE requirements. Obviously, most people applying will have excellent GCSE results anyway, but that doesn't mean they're required. I don't think I've ever seen a University ask for many As and A*s at GCSE, apart from for Medicine. Where have you seen this?

On Oxford's website they say that without a high percentage of A* grades, it is unlikely that you will you be a competitive applicant.
Original post by WinterApproaches
On Oxford's website they say that without a high percentage of A* grades, it is unlikely that you will you be a competitive applicant.

"Unlikely to be a competitive applicant" is not the same thing as a requirement. Obviously, great GCSE results will make you look excellent at any University. That's not the same as a requirement - people still get in with lower GCSE grades.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by nahkzzz

nope. for most courses aside from Medicine/Dentistry, GCSE grades are of little importance compared to your performance at AS level. if you get good UMS at AS level, then that will ovverride your GCSE performance. Cambridge even said that they don't give a **** about GCSE grades. Obviously if you have below average GCSE's, but "only" scrape AAAA at AS level, then its unlikely you'll be able to get into places like Oxbridge or LSE, due to the fact your UMS would be "low". (its not actually low, but for those 3 institutions it is) unless of course you had a killer Personal Statement/academic reference.
Original post by Chlorophile
"Unlikely to be a competitive applicant" is not the same thing as a requirement. Obviously, great GCSE results will make you look excellent at any University. That's not the same as a requirement - people still get in with lower GCSE grades.

Yes, it isn't in and of itself a requirement. But it does become a requirement at the point at which the vast vast majority apply with those grades. I'm not saying OP doesn't have a chance, I'm just saying for example, when 7 kids are applying for PPE and 6 have 11A*s at GCSE and one has a few Bs and As, given the difficult nature of having to reject students before interview, they're probably more likely to reject the latter student.

Quick Reply

Latest