The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
hildabeast
I think I'm right in saying that Sacha Baron-Cohen got a double first, which is majorly impressive.

Wow, that is impressive!
Reply 41
hildabeast
I think I'm right in saying that Sacha Baron-Cohen got a double first, which is majorly impressive.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think you're wrong in saying that. Perhaps you have it confused with David Baddiel (double first, Eng Lit, King's College, Cam), who went to the same school as Sacha Baron Cohen. Although, I know that Baron-Cohen's dissertation was based on a comparison between the Black Civil Rights Movement and that of the difficulties faced by the Jewish community; apparently he had a great deal of potential and a career as an academic was a serious consideration.

Btw, regarding what Footfarian bought up, I was wondering about Americans at Oxbridge, and what are these exchange schemes you mention? I know that there are tons of American postgrads at Oxford.
foolfarian
Cue childish giggle from me.

Anywho, Ali G was a bloody clever guy, and lets face it, that coems across in his show. It is unbelievably hard to act that stupid, and yet still be witty. One show i found ironic was when he actually did a piece on cambridge uni. He was at a garden part, interviewed an english guy who was just laughing at the crap he was coming out with (gay innuendos etc) then he interviewed this american guy (blatantly an exchange student) who was really arsey and came out with some crap like 'this is a serious university'
very funny

Helenia - sickened by your lack of comedy appreciation. Next you'll say you don't like trigger happy tv

Yes, I think that was under his 'borat' character. The one where he went to Lady Chelsae for help on becoming a gentlemen was also great.
J.S.
I'm not 100% sure, but I think you're wrong in saying that. Perhaps you have it confused with David Baddiel (double first, Eng Lit, King's College, Cam), who went to the same school as Sacha Baron Cohen. Although, I know that Baron-Cohen's dissertation was based on a comparison between the Black Civil Rights Movement and that of the difficulties faced by the Jewish community; apparently he had a great deal of potential and a career as an academic was a serious consideration.

Btw, regarding what Footfarian bought up, I was wondering about Americans at Oxbridge, and what are these exchange schemes you mention? I know that there are tons of American postgrads at Oxford.

Theres an exchange program with MIT, but also you get alot of Americans as postgrads, and doing weird 2 term stays here.
Often very anal, and very noisey.
J
Reply 44
hildabeast

Getting a double first isn't that much of an achievement - if you get a first, it's most likely a double one.
Reply 45
foolfarian
Theres an exchange program with MIT, but also you get alot of Americans as postgrads, and doing weird 2 term stays here.
Often very anal, and very noisey.
J

LOL. I have noticed that Americans speak VERY loudly. :confused:
rockindemon
I saw this on another thread and thought I'd bring it here :tongue: It seems it doesnt go on as much in cambridge. Is that because people are too busy with other commitments or are people generally more fridget?

Maybe some of us should set up a casual sex society! i'm sure the univertsity would fund it to help get rid of their backward image, its not going that much further than having a pole dancing society there already.
Reply 47
whitewitch
Maybe some of us should set up a casual sex society! i'm sure the univertsity would fund it to help get rid of their backward image, its not going that much further than having a pole dancing society there already.

Yes and you could sponsorship from Durex!
Reply 48
foolfarian
Cue childish giggle from me.

Yeah, ooops, sorry about that one! You knew what I meant :rolleyes:

Helenia - sickened by your lack of comedy appreciation. Next you'll say you don't like trigger happy tv

No, that I do like. Ali G can be ok, depending on what mood I'm in. What was really annoying though, was all the boys at school trying to be like him, talk like him, do that stupid flicky-handy thing (partly bitterness cos I can't do it myself!) and generally not realise that it's not real!!!

Good luck with your casual sex society - it'll be original at least :eek:
d750
Getting a double first isn't that much of an achievement - if you get a first, it's most likely a double one.

Well I'm not sure about Cambridge, but in Oxford there is very little correlation between performances in mods and finals. I'm sure not everyone who gets a first in the first part of the Tripos will go on to get the same in their finals, and vice versa.
Reply 50
d750

This is going to sound embarassing ... but what is a double First?
Reply 51
shiny
This is going to sound embarassing ... but what is a double First?

Technically when you get a first in two subjects, but usually it refers to getting a first in Part I and Part II. Oxford don't recognise double firsts, but getting a first in mods and greats is essentially the same thing.
Reply 52
d750
Technically when you get a first in two subjects, but usually it refers to getting a first in Part I and Part II. Oxford don't recognise double firsts, but getting a first in mods and greats is essentially the same thing.

I heard the phrase being used but I had no idea what it meant!
Reply 53
so whats people philosophies generally about it, would you rather be in a relationship or is there anyone who is just after fun?
A relationship. I had my fun when younger although an International Playboy would be a very cool job.
Reply 55
Joey_Johns
From ages 13-16

Private

- One King Edward Queen Mary School, Lytham, think she was called Emily.
- Countless girls from Casterton.
- Two from Rossall School called Sarah and Arabella.
- One from St Georges (down south somewhere) called Helen.
- One from Malvern called Roxy

State

-No success with Clitheroe Grammar and Bacup Grammar girls despite mass effort, my one single success with a state educated chick was that of Lancaster grammar breeding called Catherine.

Sorry I didn't take pictures or video.

Wow.

Well.... you can't argue with results I suppose.
Reply 56
rockindemon
so whats people philosophies generally about it, would you rather be in a relationship or is there anyone who is just after fun?

Relationship, but fun occasionally wouldn't be so bad.
Reply 57
hmm, yeah, when it comes down to it, i'm too much on an emotional creature i think, so would have to be a relationship.

if i'm after fun i might flirt, but..
Reply 58
Oh i wish i wasn't so conservative!!! What do you do when your best friend kisses you, you refuse to go out with him, he yells a lot, and you're distracted by exams???? So horrible, sigh :frown:
Reply 59
Rosy
Oh i wish i wasn't so conservative!!! What do you do when your best friend kisses you, you refuse to go out with him, he yells a lot, and you're distracted by exams???? So horrible, sigh :frown:

What did he yell?

Latest

Trending

Trending