The Student Room Group

What to do with my life???

I am currently studying A2 levels with AS grades of A- psychology A-PE and B-biology. I aim to get AAA-AAB next year. I am looking at studying psychology at university but really don't know if it is for me or if there are any jobs. It is obviously a very popular course so there will be lots of competition for jobs. Only problem is I do not know what job I want to do. I've always said I don't want a boring office job but there aren't many jobs that I would class as fun in psychology even though it interests me! I am also looking at physiotherapy as this is more practical but not sure if I want to go onto that for the rest of my life. Basically I am very stuck. I am thinking about taking a gap year as I would love to travel but not sure if this will hold me back. Any help on psychology/ physiotherapy courses/careers would be appreciated and also any information of gap years. Would love to hear about your experiences in any of these areas!
If you are uncertain of what to study a gap year would definitely be a good idea as you might get a better idea of what you love to do and it definitely would not hold you back (employers love a well travelled applicant as it really does broaden your mind). However, just on a side note, the subject you do at university if not as limiting as you might think, hardly any of my friends are now in jobs relating to their subject! Psychology shows a very high level of intelligence and analytical skills so it is a great degree for your cv even if you decide you don't want to pursue a career in the area!
Reply 2
Original post by bero971
I am currently studying A2 levels with AS grades of A- psychology A-PE and B-biology. I aim to get AAA-AAB next year. I am looking at studying psychology at university but really don't know if it is for me or if there are any jobs. It is obviously a very popular course so there will be lots of competition for jobs. Only problem is I do not know what job I want to do. I've always said I don't want a boring office job but there aren't many jobs that I would class as fun in psychology even though it interests me! I am also looking at physiotherapy as this is more practical but not sure if I want to go onto that for the rest of my life. Basically I am very stuck. I am thinking about taking a gap year as I would love to travel but not sure if this will hold me back. Any help on psychology/ physiotherapy courses/careers would be appreciated and also any information of gap years. Would love to hear about your experiences in any of these areas!

The best way to choose a degree is know your end career goal and work backwards. In high school we did a career quiz and whilst not 100% accurate I think it gives a really good idea of the area that you'd be suited to. The website is fasttomato.com. It'll say you need to sign up through a school but just choose your old high school, don't worry about it.
Original post by bero971

I also wanted to study Psychology, and still do, but my nerves got to me. I am Norwegian so it's really a long distance for me to move, so I decided that I rather wanted to study Law in Oslo. I got in at the spring term, so I am starting in January wihch means that I am having half a gap year right now. And it is killing me. It is SO boring, so if you want to take a gap year you should definetly have something planned. I am just working...

Quick Reply

Latest