The Student Room Group

*insert eye catching title

Hi... I just need some guidance please, so I started my A levels around 3 weeks ago and I'm studying biology, geography and psychology. I'm enjoying geography and psychology but I'm hating biology ;( I wanted to do a biology degree before starting A levels but now I have no clue what to do... I really want to drop it and go into something like criminology maybe, what would be the best A level to swap biology for? Or should I just grind the 2 years out and miraculously pass? We completed a mini-test thing for biology and I got 33% in one and 89% in the other it's so hard! Any help is appreciated.

kind regards,
ben
If you really hate a subject that much I would ask to change. Easier to catch up with a new A-level now, than in a few months. Do you have any idea of what other degrees you'd be interested in? If you find your other two subjects interesting, then how about something to do with those? I know my friend forced himself to do maths and failed, effectively wasting a year.
Reply 2
I wouldnt grind out a subject like biology, since eventually you'll be doing reports as coursework and your lack of knowledge can show.

With criminology there isnt really any subject requirement, but psychology is good which you have. Were there any subjects which you were pretty good at during gcse? Or you could even take a new subject like economics. Could also look at subjects like Maths to open yourself a bit more to more courses.
Original post by Jkizer
I wouldnt grind out a subject like biology, since eventually you'll be doing reports as coursework and your lack of knowledge can show.

With criminology there isnt really any subject requirement, but psychology is good which you have. Were there any subjects which you were pretty good at during gcse? Or you could even take a new subject like economics. Could also look at subjects like Maths to open yourself a bit more to more courses.

I honestly don't know what I'm good at :frown: I don't really enjoy any other subjects apart from geography and psychology, in my GCSE's I received all A-A* and a B in human health and physiology. I really don't like maths sadly :frown:
Original post by IfOnlyItWereEasy
If you really hate a subject that much I would ask to change. Easier to catch up with a new A-level now, than in a few months. Do you have any idea of what other degrees you'd be interested in? If you find your other two subjects interesting, then how about something to do with those? I know my friend forced himself to do maths and failed, effectively wasting a year.

Thank you for the response! I was looking at criminology but I'm not sure what future jobs would be available...
Original post by Sacred Ground
Hi... I just need some guidance please, so I started my A levels around 3 weeks ago and I'm studying biology, geography and psychology. I'm enjoying geography and psychology but I'm hating biology ;( I wanted to do a biology degree before starting A levels but now I have no clue what to do... I really want to drop it and go into something like criminology maybe, what would be the best A level to swap biology for? Or should I just grind the 2 years out and miraculously pass? We completed a mini-test thing for biology and I got 33% in one and 89% in the other it's so hard! Any help is appreciated.

kind regards,
ben

How did you find AS level Geography? What grade did you achieve at the end of it, what about GCSE Geography?
Is there a large difference between geology and geography?
Please provide me with any details you can :smile:
Original post by STUDYREVISE
How did you find AS level Geography? What grade did you achieve at the end of it, what about GCSE Geography?
Is there a large difference between geology and geography?
Please provide me with any details you can :smile:

I'm doing AS geography at the moment so I don't have a grade for it, I have an A grade in it at GCSE. I'm really enjoying it though, we have a great teacher and the lessons vary a lot, what did you get in GCSE geography? I definitely recommend taking it.

Quick Reply