The Student Room Group

Mucked up AS Levels but still predicted AAA

I got a BBC in my AS levels and for most places I need a AAB, i'm predicted a AA A/B by my teachers but what will Unis go by, AS Results or predicted grades? I'm pretty confident that with the odd retake i can get the AAB i need. I'm also taking a gap year so i could always just re-apply with my actual grades later but obviously I'd prefer to get it out the way.

Any advice?

Thanks in advance.
Original post by Helpme_1
I got a BBC in my AS levels and for most places I need a AAB, i'm predicted a AA A/B by my teachers but what will Unis go by, AS Results or predicted grades? I'm pretty confident that with the odd retake i can get the AAB i need. I'm also taking a gap year so i could always just re-apply with my actual grades later but obviously I'd prefer to get it out the way.

Any advice?

Thanks in advance.

Predicted grades are the most important, but with the proviso that they have to be credible from the base of AS results. One grade higher is a common and reasonable prediction. Two is more questionable.
Reply 2
Both are taken into consideration. The predictions need to be at least somewhat realistic, which you'll be okay with BBC to AAB, with the fact you're doing a couple of retakes make it easier. They do realise that AS results aren't absolute and things can change, both up and down, so the predictions tend to be more important. It's just important that your predictions meet a typical offer, because if you can't meet that then chances are there's no point giving you an offer.

I had BBBC at AS, carried the BBB, with AAA predictions. Still got AAB offer - only two grades different in my case, but i'd wager you'll be fine. I wouldn't go entirely for AAB courses of course.
Reply 3
Ok thanks, also say i slipped one and got AAC what chance would i have? My personal statement\references will be really good (everyone's is in my school, we have a great teacher dedicated just to them) and i have done lots of extra curricular stuff like gold Dofe, sports leaders etc.
Reply 4
Original post by Helpme_1
Ok thanks, also say i slipped one and got AAC what chance would i have? My personal statement\references will be really good (everyone's is in my school, we have a great teacher dedicated just to them) and i have done lots of extra curricular stuff like gold Dofe, sports leaders etc.

Depends entirely on the department, what they thought about your PS/interview/potential, and how many other applicants miss their offers most importantly. They make more offers than places so if you miss it then there's no guarantee there's space on the course.

Extra curriculars won't make any different unless they're related to the course.

If you're applying with grades in hand then they may well just reject you outright. Cross that bridge when you come to it, but it's usually worth e-mailing them before wasting a choice if they don't accept students below their typical offer.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5
Have I misunderstood this? So your saying If I wait till I have my grades and apply then I'm less likely to get in? Presumably you mean if I don't make them i might as well not bother. Surely if I do get the required grades and apply with them in hand ill almost certainly get in.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending