The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Theres also a cultural issue. Women get into football quite late because they are not encouraged from a young age. As such they dont get use to the ball in terms of technical skills. Bit like learning a language when youre young compared to when you're older
Original post by TheShep
I'd say the thrill of the mens 100m is certainly more than that of the women's personally due to the incredible machines that the mens side produces. (Not just bolt).

I would also say that football is a more complex game than running. I just don't think women are suited to the mental intelligence required in football. To clarify, this is not an insult, but things like spatial awareness/vision, judging distance, speed and flight paths of the ball are generally better in males. No investment will change this.

Also factor in biology/chemistry. Females on the whole are hard wired differently and are less likely to be interested in 'red blooded' competitive sport on the whole, and particularly football. Less of a talent pool inevitably leads to less talent at the top end.

2nd Paragraph: No way of verifying that

3rd Paragraph: There is some biological truth to this but women who are competitive are VERY COMPETITIVE. No reason there would be a lack of passion/commitment if the support and social backing was there
For the most part, it is a slow and sloppy game, but it does have its moments.

https://vine.co/v/M9l5MIZAqB5
Original post by mikeyd85

You sure that was a goal? Looks like it went wide.

What reasons prevent these moments from occurring more
Original post by Wilfred Little
You sure that was a goal? Looks like it went wide.

Yeah. Well, it was widely reported* as a goal.

*In terms of women's fooball.

Original post by DIN-NARYU-FARORE
What reasons prevent these moments from occurring more

The game is slow and sloppy. :/

The game is slow and sloppy. :/

It doesn't have to be. What we're seeing now doesnt have to be the height of women's football. with investment and cultural change women's football can be changed for the better
Reply 27
I don't watch women's football, but I think it's probably mainly a lack of pace and power compared to the men's game. I don't know how you would improve it. I would make football a common (boys + girls) sport in primary school so that everyone will develop better technique (at that age the gender difference shouldn't matter so much). Then more girls will play it and be interested in watching women play it, which is probably the biggest issue from the commercial point of view.
It doesn't have to be. What we're seeing now doesnt have to be the height of women's football. with investment and cultural change women's football can be changed for the better

Who is going to invest though? It'd take billions to make women's football anywhere near competitive with men's. Is there even a demand for that?
Who is going to invest though? It'd take billions to make women's football anywhere near competitive with men's. Is there even a demand for that?

Well therein lies the problem; Male attitudes towards Women and where their place should be in society
Well therein lies the problem; Male attitudes towards Women and where their place should be in society

Is there even a demand from women to improve the quality of the women's game?

I don't want to sound like Alan Hansen, but that was shocking defending.
Just not interested in it.
I prefer women to stand around and look pretty not out of breath and sweaty
cos tits
Original post by Manchester United
I don't want to sound like Alan Hansen, but that was shocking defending.

Yeah, I'd noticed that too.
Simply down to how poor it is. There's little to no skill involved, it's just quite embarrassing to watch
Reply 36
Original post by Huskaris
The quality of football is so unbelievably low. Your average first XI from a school could probably beat most womens team.

Women just are not built the same physical way as men, and men therefore have a huge advantage.

It's like putting a team of fit, athletic 25 year olds against a team of fit, athletic 15 year olds, the older guys will always win, even if both sets are at the peak fitness, because they are more physically developed.

Lol dat baitin' :wink:
is there even a demand from women to improve the quality of the women's game?

yes there is but who cares when they dont have the serious connections or the money to change it
yes there is but who cares when they dont have the serious connections or the money to change it

Where? Have you evidence for this?

What motive is there for someone to invest in womens football? mens football has much more money in it for a reason.

Latest