The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website

Flying Start Degree work placement Salary

Hey all!
I'm an international student, planning to apply for the Flying start degree from Newcastle University. I wanted to know how much I can expect to make while on work placement, as this may place a huge role in my decision to go forward with the degree (provided I get an offer of course).
So anyone who is going to take part or has taken part in the work placements, please tell me how much I can expect to make over years 2, 3 and 4. This will be highly appreciated.
Thank You!
Reply 1
Anyone?
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website
It says on the website 'paid' but does not give much details. I would expect it to be minimum wage (like most other work placement/ internship schemes) - this will be 6.50 pounds per hour next year. The course claims to provide half of the required work experience for the ICAEW Chartered Accountant status - which is 450 days / 2 = 225 days.

For a full time job, you would expect to work 8 hours a day = 52 pounds a day (on minimum wage). Therefore, 225 days should earn you at least 11,700 pounds over the whole course. Of course, if they pay a bit more than minimum wage you would earn a bit more - this is just a rough guide of the absolute minimum you could expect. They may pay more in the later years of the course, for example.

It is also worth considering that many of the graduates go on to work for PwC - so if you do well in your degree and make the most of your placement opportunities, you should have a good chance of securing a graduate job :smile:
Reply 3
I am starting the course in the next couple of weeks. You're looking at £7,000 per year per placement. So about £20,000 in total while you're at university and then when you leave and work for them you'll be on about £30,000 per year and then a year after that when you qualify you're looking at £45,000 per year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending