The Student Room Group

ELAT

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I didn't like it much due to the complete absence of any drama! I really enjoy analysing it and I swear this is the first time there hasn't been even one extract from a play.

I used The Rape of Lucrece, Dombey and Son and Amor Mundi, and wrote about how temptation and selfishness can cause change - either to someone else with their knowledge, someone else without their knowledge, or to the person themselves. I can't decide if it was absolutely enlightened or completely awful. Hmmm.
Original post by Elvish
Hello everyone! How did we find the paper? I found it really difficult :frown: What extracts/ points of comparison did you do?

I chose Texts B and F and looked at how they use a train journey as representative of 'life as a journey'. I loved the Dickens passage, but felt like I didn't entirely do justice to the last one. The annoying thing was that when the exam finished, I kept on thinking of things I could have talked about! But oh well!
I wouldn't worry about it - it's all over now! Plus there are loads of other factors they consider when inviting people for interviews. What texts did you use?
Reply 42
Original post by Annabel_rose
I chose Texts B and F and looked at how they use a train journey as representative of 'life as a journey'. I loved the Dickens passage, but felt like I didn't entirely do justice to the last one. The annoying thing was that when the exam finished, I kept on thinking of things I could have talked about! But oh well!
I wouldn't worry about it - it's all over now! Plus there are loads of other factors they consider when inviting people for interviews. What texts did you use?

Dude. I think we wrote pretty much the same essay :')
I did (as seems to be quite popular) Dombey and Son, Amos Mundi and the train poem. I compared the different ways in which the train journeys were portrayed and where they overlapped, talking about how artificial and unsatisfying such a journey was was, the contrast between internality and externality. Then I compared all that to the nature in Rossetti's poem, and went on to say they were all metaphors for life and how it was basically existentialist and very pessimistic.

I think it was OK though, there was lots of LF&S to write about :smile:
Original post by Gee1234
Dude. I think we wrote pretty much the same essay :')

Ditto to that!
Reply 45
Original post by cucaracha
I thought it was okay, although I could've done with more time to develop my last point and wrap things up :redface: was really rushing towards the end.
I did 'Amor Mundi' by Rossetti and 'Night Train' by Roberts. I have a feeling I didn't directly compare them enough D: d'oh
Which did you look at?

I did the B and C? I just did the theme of the journey of death. Mine was dreadful. I panicked so didn't plan properly and just rambled on.... I didn't compare them enough either! :redface:
Reply 46
Original post by Annabel_rose

I used extracts B and C! I did a similar theme, the journey of death. I had that too, I ran out of time, and was kicking myself for not mentioning about Rossetti's allusion to Adam and Eve :redface:
Reply 47
Original post by Valancourt
I did (as seems to be quite popular) Dombey and Son, Amos Mundi and the train poem. I compared the different ways in which the train journeys were portrayed and where they overlapped, talking about how artificial and unsatisfying such a journey was was, the contrast between internality and externality. Then I compared all that to the nature in Rossetti's poem, and went on to say they were all metaphors for life and how it was basically existentialist and very pessimistic.

I think it was OK though, there was lots of LF&S to write about :smile:

Wow. Your essays sounds amazing. I have no idea how anyone can come up with such amazing ideas in such a limited amount of time :s-smilie: Congratulations though, I would have loved to have read your response!
Reply 48
Original post by Elvish
I did the B and C? I just did the theme of the journey of death. Mine was dreadful. I panicked so didn't plan properly and just rambled on.... I didn't compare them enough either! :redface:

**** I did like the same thing! Mine was so bad lool about half an hour in I was like, wow I am so screwed, should I just leave? But I didn't lol and I was like I have to write some bs so I talked about journeys as representations of the futility of attempting to escape death LOL.
Original post by Elvish
Wow. Your essays sounds amazing. I have no idea how anyone can come up with such amazing ideas in such a limited amount of time :s-smilie: Congratulations though, I would have loved to have read your response!

Haha, thanks :smile: Don't worry, I suffered from the same problems as everyone (I rushed the end and probably could have compared more).

It's best just to be positive and think of all the good things you too doubtlessly did; they understand that there are time constraints.
Reply 50
I did Night Train + Questions of Travel. I said that the journeys portrayed in the poems were metaphors for life. I went on to say that because life is transient we need to be able to appreciate the natural, bucolic world and not artifice. I said that the objective correlative of the authors was to urge the readers to subsume themselves in nature and the 'wild' (talked about Apollonian & Dionysian dichotomy). I said that there was a paradox between the fact that we call ourselves communicative creatures (as humans) yet are unable to connect with nature. At the end though, I said that due to fact that poems themselves are an artificially created medium -the authors somewhat contradict themselves (as they are creating artifice in poetry) but that this does not really detract from what they are trying to say.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 51
Original post by levo**
I did Night Train + Questions of Travel. I said that the journeys portrayed in the poems were metaphors for life. I went on to say that because life is transient we need to be able to appreciate the natural, bucolic world and not artifice. I said that the objective correlative of the authors was to urge the readers to subsume themselves in nature and the 'wild' (talked about Apollonian & Dionysian dichotomy). I said that there was a paradox between the fact that we call ourselves communicative creatures (as humans) yet are unable to connect with nature. At the end though, I said that due to fact that poems themselves are an artificially created medium -the authors somewhat contradict themselves (as they are creating artifice in poetry) but that this does not really detract from what they are trying to say.

That sounds like a fantastic essay - honestly wow, they're all great points. I also did Questions of Travel, but with Amor Mundi, but I feel like most of what I wrote was pretty much on the surface :s-smilie:
I compared the human experience of journeying in both, commenting on the inherent presence of the natural world in these journeys, themes of freedom/uncertainty, the value of journeying + the difference companionship makes to the experience.

I did touch on the more philosophical aspect of the uphill/downhill road choice in Amor Mundi though so hopefully it's not all utter rubbish...
Reply 52
Original post by LilliaRose

Ditto to that!

Obviously a popular choice!
Reply 53
Original post by itsokk
That sounds like a fantastic essay - honestly wow, they're all great points. I also did Questions of Travel, but with Amor Mundi, but I feel like most of what I wrote was pretty much on the surface :s-smilie:
I compared the human experience of journeying in both, commenting on the inherent presence of the natural world in these journeys, themes of freedom/uncertainty, the value of journeying + the difference companionship makes to the experience.

I did touch on the more philosophical aspect of the uphill/downhill road choice in Amor Mundi though so hopefully it's not all utter rubbish...

Thanks so much :smile: such a lovely thing to say! Yours sounds very similar to mine - same points about the natural world, the need to communicate/ companionship... Wish you all the best with your app. What college are you applying to?
Reply 54
Original post by levo**
Thanks so much :smile: such a lovely thing to say! Yours sounds very similar to mine - same points about the natural world, the need to communicate/ companionship... Wish you all the best with your app. What college are you applying to?

Thank you, you too! :smile: I openly applied and got allocated St. Anne's, which I've quite warmed to as they state they're very interested in the links between English and other media, as well as translation work - interests which I also made obvious in my PS so looks like they really thought about the match! Where did you apply to?
Original post by Alunzar
Hey,

I did the ELAT last year so I wish all you guys the best of luck. In terms of preparation, just keep going through the past papers to build up your timing skills and your ability to pick up things from unknown texts. It might also help just finding random extracts of literature off the internet and working on how to tackle unseen text. I'm assuming you know the structure of the paper, how many extracts you get and that they are all linked through a common theme so just being able to compare and contrast will help you immensely. I suggest always going for at least one poem as they are the easiest to annotate in the time your given.

Now onto your question. The hHey ....ELAT is especially important for being shortlisted for the interviews (or so I'm told). However, it does go towards your whole application so it's not too devastating if you have nerves in the exams because you'll still have your written work, your personal statement, your reference and your grades to back you up. The admissions team also take into account contextual data, so there are many variables in deciding who gets called for interviews and who gets an offer. Personally, I don't think I did great in the ELAT so I was surprised I got an interview let alone an offer :smile:

What I'm trying to say is that the ELAT and entrance exams aren't "all or nothing" so please don't beat yourself up about if it doesn't go great because that's what I did and I look back now thinking "What an idiot!" :P

Hope this helps :smile: Good luck!

Hey.... I am applying for Oxford this year..... I just wanted to know if we have to register for Elat before or after we apply via UCAS. I am an international student and have took a gap year so I would be applying individually. Also do the tutors take grades too seriously?? I mean I don't have top grades but does that mean that I can't be accepted?
please please reply as soon as possible
Hello Everyone.. i am to sit my ELAT exam this year in November. I am completely lost how to prepare and to structure the paragraph. Any suggestions and advices are heartily welcomed.Please help!
Reply 57
Original post by CrimsonPetal1
Hello Everyone.. i am to sit my ELAT exam this year in November. I am completely lost how to prepare and to structure the paragraph. Any suggestions and advices are heartily welcomed.Please help!

Hello, I'm sorry you're not getting a response. My daughter did ELAT two years ago so this is a chinese whispers version of what she thought was interesting enough to pass on to doting parent.

(1) Get the papers marked by your english teacher.

(2) Use the mark scheme from the bottom up. i.e. What is a hopeless case and then what do you need to do get the next grade up. Keep going up from there.

(3) Look up "close reading" and how to do it.

That's it, I'm afraid. She did say that the work she did on ELAT was really useful for A2 so win-win!.
Original post by Pars12
Hello, I'm sorry you're not getting a response. My daughter did ELAT two years ago so this is a chinese whispers version of what she thought was interesting enough to pass on to doting parent.

(1) Get the papers marked by your english teacher.

(2) Use the mark scheme from the bottom up. i.e. What is a hopeless case and then what do you need to do get the next grade up. Keep going up from there.

(3) Look up "close reading" and how to do it.

That's it, I'm afraid. She did say that the work she did on ELAT was really useful for A2 so win-win!.

Thanks a lot for your time in answering my question. I was really disappointed when I didn't get a reply but you saved me ...!!
Thank You again.. 😊
Is anyone else also panicking ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending