The Student Room Group

Why is Bristol's A100 course so competitive?

Like I get that medicine is competitive, but why is bristol particularly so? 16:1 applications to places is just crazy! any idea why??

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
There is currently no admissions test-same with Liverpool I'm afraid.
Reply 2
Most applicants worship the league tables; is a top ~10 uni + doesn't require the BMAT = prestige hungry applicants.

But in all seriousness, Bristol is popular because it's a highly regarded university that doesn't require any admissions tests. Applicants who didn't do so well in the UKCAT (which would be the majority of applicants) are almost forced to apply to Bristol as it's one of the few universities that have no admissions tests and isn't GCSE heavy (Cardiff, Birmingham, etc).
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by 2018
There is currently no admissions test-same with Liverpool I'm afraid.

Original post by Mehhhh
Most applicants worship the league tables; is a top ~10 uni + doesn't require the BMAT = prestige hungry applicants.

But in all seriousness, Bristol is popular because it's a highly regarded university that doesn't require any admissions tests. Applicants who didn't do so well in the UKCAT (which would be the majority of applicants) are almost forced to apply to Bristol as it's one of the few universities that have no admissions tests and isn't GCSE heavy (Cardiff, Birmingham, etc).

I don't know whether to apply or not! put off by the big numbers
Reply 4
Go for it! Bristol is a very good medical school and if you have a strong PS you stand as much chance as anyone else! Good Luck :smile:
Original post by NancyRoseC
Like I get that medicine is competitive, but why is bristol particularly so? 16:1 applications to places is just crazy! any idea why??

Economics L100 is really competitive too!-_____- Bristol is in the top 5 for Economics in the UK!
Reply 6
I don't know whether to apply or not! put off by the big numbers

The competition ratios for all medical schools are high - Bristol's ratios are not that much higher than any other medical school.

If you didn't do so well in the UKCAT (below 650), than you should definitely consider it. If your UKCAT is above 650, there are a few UKCAT unis that you should apply to which are less risky than Bristol.
Reply 7
Original post by Mehhhh
The competition ratios for all medical schools are high - Bristol's ratios are not that much higher than any other medical school.

If you didn't do so well in the UKCAT (below 650), than you should definitely consider it. If your UKCAT is above 650, there are a few UKCAT unis that you should apply to which are less risky than Bristol.

Yea, I got 640, so going for bristol, liverpool, cardiff and barts (i have a high tariff)
Reply 8
You could also consider St Georges instead of Liverpool as applying to both Bristol and Liverpool might be a risk due to the volume of applications those two receive. However, like said above all medical schools are competitive! I'm sure you'll be fine-we're here to help if you need anything :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by 2018
You could also consider St Georges instead of Liverpool as applying to both Bristol and Liverpool might be a risk due to the volume of applications those two receive. However, like said above all medical schools are competitive! I'm sure you'll be fine-we're here to help if you need anything :smile:

aw that's so nice thank you!

I'm so nervous like i know really clever people don't get in and i don't want to take a year out and re-apply aaaaaaaaaah:frown:
Reply 10
Bristol itself is also a great city to be a student in. Not all Bristol med students have a low UKCAT though, but it is 80% PS so make sure it's a good one.
Reply 11
Original post by HCubed
Bristol itself is also a great city to be a student in. Not all Bristol med students have a low UKCAT though, but it is 80% PS so make sure it's a good one.

nobody will read my ps for me like i have no idea if mine's good or not
Reply 12

Check it against highly rated ones in the medicine PS library - that will give you a good idea. Nobody here is allowed to review it for you unfortunately, so don't be tempted to PM it to anyone.
Reply 13
Original post by HCubed
Check it against highly rated ones in the medicine PS library - that will give you a good idea. Nobody here is allowed to review it for you unfortunately, so don't be tempted to PM it to anyone.

No, i wouldn't send it to anyone! that's just silly
Reply 14

It's because there's no admissions test so anyone who does badly the ukcat applies there.
Personally if I had other options and my ukcat was okay I wouldnt bother, keep it as a last resort if your ukcat is ****.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15

Give it to every teacher you have and your parents. Then listen to all the feedback.
You'll probably find a lot of similar feedback so you'll definitely need to act on that. Don't worry if one person ssays they don't like a bit if noone else mentioned it because it's obviously not a general issue just one person's opinion.
That's why you need to get lots of people's opinions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Original post by em.d_4
It's because there's no admissions test so anyone who does badly the ukcat applies there.
Personally if I had other options and my ukcat was okay I wouldnt bother, keep it as a last resort if your ukcat is ****.

Posted from TSR Mobile

what would you define as a **** ukcat? mine's 640
Reply 17
what would you define as a **** ukcat? mine's 640

Well **** depends where you were hoping to apply doesnt it eg if you desperately wanted Newcastle anything under 740/750would be less than ideal.
640 closes some doors but there's plenty still open eg QUB, Sheffield, Keele, St. George's, obviously all BMAT or non UKCAT.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Hello

I screwed up the Ukcat, so I am also applying to Bristol.
Do you know if Cardiff is really asking for 7/8 A* and if they really don't look at the Ukcat??
My ukcat is below 600. so at the moment, I am thinking about Bristol, Liverpool and UEA....

Original post by 2018
Reply 19
Original post by mwu13
Hello

I screwed up the Ukcat, so I am also applying to Bristol.
Do you know if Cardiff is really asking for 7/8 A* and if they really don't look at the Ukcat??
My ukcat is below 600. so at the moment, I am thinking about Bristol, Liverpool and UEA....

Have you considered the BMAT-Leeds and BSMS are asking for BMAT this year which is likely to reduce the number of applications they receive. If you got above 500 in each sub-section consider St George's. Cardiff will look at non-academics too so if you have these you will still be in with a shot there! Lancaster is also an option for you-similar to Liverpool but might be less competitve!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending