The Student Room Group
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website

Reading are a bit quiet about Bursary?!

Ok so I got my Payment schedule from the SLC and Reading sent my Accomodation confirmation through but no sign of the Bursary that has been offered. When do we get it? How do we get it, I'd really like to know!

Also the Payment schedule is a bit shoddy I get more of my loan in the last payment but have to pay less for accomodation. So I'll be loaded in the summer term but broke until then! SHOCKING!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I should be getting a bursary from them too for biological sciences and havn't heard a dickie bird! I'm gonna e-mail them I think. I need all the money I can get!
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website
Reply 2
I'll be getting the full £2,700 maintenance grant... How do I apply for a bursary?
Reply 3
Atomik
I'll be getting the full £2,700 maintenance grant... How do I apply for a bursary?

Do you remember when we started applying they said that every student that qualifies for the grant (on a sliding scale) will recieved a bursary from Reading. When I filled out my SLC form I ticked a box that said that Reading were offering a bursary and they'll send the information to them. But heard nothing ever since!

Badger them and call them...I've been trying but the people I get through to are complete noobs and dont know anything about it! I'm due for over £900 yours will be loads more!
when you pre-enrol online, you give them your bank details, and they pay you that way i think. make sure you turn up probably :P
Roxie
Do you remember when we started applying they said that every student that qualifies for the grant (on a sliding scale) will recieved a bursary from Reading.

oh dear, i don't remember that at all! what, so if u get the maintenance grant, we also get a bursary?!
xXx
Reply 6
I don't remember a check box about bursaries either! But my memory is terrible...

I did my student loan forms online, I wonder if that makes a difference.
Reply 7
rainbowzebra
oh dear, i don't remember that at all! what, so if u get the maintenance grant, we also get a bursary?!
xXx

yeah but the amount depends on how much of a grant you got. On the PN1 form it said something about being able to release the information on how much you got to the uni so that they can figure out the bursary.
Reply 8
I was concerned about the Bursary as I am due the full amount of £1,300. I emailed Reading who advised that so long as we ticked the 'consent to share information box' on the student application it should all be fine and we shold hear eventually........... :rolleyes:

If your unsure you ticked the box if you call SLC they can confirm either way - if you haven't they can change it over the phone so that Reading get the info.

Reading do seem slighlty disorganised........ :eek:
Reply 9
I was concerned about the Bursary as I am due the full amount of £1,300. I emailed Reading who advised that so long as we ticked the 'consent to share information box' on the student application it should all be fine and we should hear eventually........... :rolleyes:

If your unsure you ticked the box if you call SLC they can confirm either way - if you haven't they can change it over the phone so that Reading get the info.

Reading do seem slighlty disorganised........ :eek:
Reply 10
So in order to get a bursary from Reading, all I need to do is call the SLC and ask them to tick the consent to share information box on the student application form?

In which case I will recieve £1500 grant from the SLC & something from Reading too?
Reply 11
Ah HAH!
I just looked at the nice PDF on the website that I filled the forms in on, and it shows me my original application.

Scrolling through it I found:

C Bursaries
− Your university or college may be offering financial awards such as bursaries or scholarships to its students. Do you consent to your information
being shared with your university or college specifically for bursary administration purposes?

It had a nice big Y next to it.

Hurrah!
Let's hope I get some extra cash in then, cos I'm really worried about money!
Reply 12
Here is the info about the Reading bursary it's still on the website!

all subjects: students who satisfy the entry requirements of their chosen course and are eligible for the state Higher Education Maintenance Grant £325 to £1300

will be paid for the duration of your course, subject to application to LEA each year. dependent on LEA means-testing

I didnt realise it was for every year...score!

Just hope they get in touch i think I'm due 900
Reply 13
Ok I know I just posted but I have just got off the phone with The student finance office and he said that they are sending a letter out for October about this....

You 'll recieve 20% in November
40% in January
40% in May

it goes on a sliding scale as I said.

if you get £2052- £2700 of the HEM grant then Reading give you £1300
if you get £1377- £2051 of the HEM grant then Reading give you £975
if you get £702- £1376 of the HEM grant then Reading give you £650
if you get £1- £701 of the HEM grant then Reading give you £325

Call the Student finance office rather than admissions they know what's going on.

YAY!
Roxie
Here is the info about the Reading bursary it's still on the website!

all subjects: students who satisfy the entry requirements of their chosen course and are eligible for the state Higher Education Maintenance Grant £325 to £1300 will be paid for the duration of your course, subject to application to LEA each year. dependent on LEA means-testing

about the bit in bold... i didn't quite get the grades they were asking for, but i still got in..... does that make a difference? (because, technically, i didn't 'satisfy the entry requirements'!)

and thanx for all of the information that people have posted here! very useful :smile:
xXx
Reply 15
rainbowzebra
about the bit in bold... i didn't quite get the grades they were asking for, but i still got in..... does that make a difference? (because, technically, i didn't 'satisfy the entry requirements'!)

Well it makes no difference cos you're on the course :smile:
hmm....what if you went through clearing?
Reply 17
hafz
hmm....what if you went through clearing?

Same thing, you'll be fine :smile:. If you get a grant you get a bursary.
Reply 18
*sends his forms off, quick like*
Reply 19
I thinks I shall be calling the uni up at some point, aye.

Djonma
I don't remember a check box about bursaries either! But my memory is terrible...

Me either. I guess that's what happens when you get your mum to fill the form(s) out. LOL.

Latest

Trending

Trending