The Student Room Group

Left my job and i'm unsure about going back to University.

I'm having a bit of a panic. After being kicked out of university last year with a certificate in higher education, i spent 9 months in unemployment and then got a job doing door to door sales over the summer.

I really hated it at first but i grew to love the people i worked with and the job whenever i made good sales. Im not consistent in sales yet but i've had my good days. Anyway i was supposed to be back at uni by now, but i may not be able to get funding from student finance in order to complete my degree. My mum wants to get a loan from the back to pay for me but i don't think this is fair on her as we're also trying to buy our house.

If i go back to uni, i'll have done 2nd year 3 times (i failed second year repeating previously by one 10 credit module and i have to start second year again in my new uni) this doesn't seem financially smart and we'll be paying the debt off until we die. I don't know what to do now. The guys at work think i'm leaving for uni, but i'm not sure i wanna leave or if i'll be able to go back.

I think i may be getting promoted at work tomorrow but i feel like such a fraud about it. I didn't hit the targets needed to be promote but because my boss thinks i'm leaving, he told me to pitch him and ask if i want to get promoted. I didn't think i'd be saying this but even though the job wasn't that great, i'll miss the social interaction aspect of it and talking to people.

I have mild social anxiety and the job really helped a lot and after 9 months of unemployment and playing video games all day long, it was much appreciated. I don't know if i wanna stay there though as i wasn't making much money, but finding a decent job right now is almost impossible.

My head is in a ****ing mess right now and i don't know what to do or think. Am i screwed financially as i still owe about £30k to student fiance and i have no degree for it?

HELP????
Reply 1
bump
Sounds more like gambling to me! How much might it cost when all is said and done? No telling I'm thinking, 50k, 60k, upwards? While you don't have to pay back initially, the time will probably come if you are say early-mid twenties as inflation pushes wages nearer the limit. There is no compulsion for everyone to get a degree, nor does it mean access to better jobs necessarily, not everyone is suited to academia. Even if you don't have the perfect job now uni does not necessarily get you to the perfect job. What about other goals in life, relationships, house, kids, etc. What course are you considering trying again at uni?
Reply 3
Original post by Stewie2011
Sounds more like gambling to me! How much might it cost when all is said and done? No telling I'm thinking, 50k, 60k, upwards? While you don't have to pay back initially, the time will probably come if you are say early-mid twenties as inflation pushes wages nearer the limit. There is no compulsion for everyone to get a degree, nor does it mean access to better jobs necessarily, not everyone is suited to academia. Even if you don't have the perfect job now uni does not necessarily get you to the perfect job. What about other goals in life, relationships, house, kids, etc. What course are you considering trying again at uni?

What do you mean gambling?

I owe about 30k now. Since i started in 2010, if i pay under the old scheme then it's an extra £10k for two years. I'll be living at home so it's probably less than that.

If it's with the £9k scheme then it'll be an extra £20-25k maybe?

Long term goals in life are to get married, have kids and provide my family with a stable and high quality of life and be there for them.
But first i wanna lose my v plates and **** as many girls as i can, but back to the subject, I'll be completing my Economics degree. I started with BSc, but now the other uni offers a BA.
Well, you'll be under the new scheme now even if you started of under the old scheme, so it will be the 9k tuition fee or so, you may get a maintenance grant for living costs around 4k but possibly less if you are loving at home/parents income. I know as I started a course in 2010 under the old scheme but it didn't work out so started a later course under the new scheme. You can look into it yourself to be sure with student finance but I'm pretty sure that's the way it will be.

To be honest though economics is a pretty generic degree, not saying its easy, no doubt its probably pretty hard. I would say unless not having a degree is a barrier to entry to a given occupation, i.e dentistry, medicine, etc then the degree is likely to do very little for you as employers can and will hire anyone they like, degree or not. The BA and BSc distinction doesn't really mean a great deal, the course may or may not be more science or art orientated and having one is not necessarily denote more status than the other. I say gambling because if you have been this unsuccessful so far how much more money are you prepared to spend to get a degree that employers won't care less about you having.

If I were you I would find a job where they're are plenty of females, uni is no sure way to get laid, the party crowd are the party crowd wherever and most of them probably have std's.
Original post by Anonymous
I'm having a bit of a panic. After being kicked out of university last year with a certificate in higher education, i spent 9 months in unemployment and then got a job doing door to door sales over the summer.

I really hated it at first but i grew to love the people i worked with and the job whenever i made good sales. Im not consistent in sales yet but i've had my good days. Anyway i was supposed to be back at uni by now, but i may not be able to get funding from student finance in order to complete my degree. My mum wants to get a loan from the back to pay for me but i don't think this is fair on her as we're also trying to buy our house.

If i go back to uni, i'll have done 2nd year 3 times (i failed second year repeating previously by one 10 credit module and i have to start second year again in my new uni) this doesn't seem financially smart and we'll be paying the debt off until we die. I don't know what to do now. The guys at work think i'm leaving for uni, but i'm not sure i wanna leave or if i'll be able to go back.

I think i may be getting promoted at work tomorrow but i feel like such a fraud about it. I didn't hit the targets needed to be promote but because my boss thinks i'm leaving, he told me to pitch him and ask if i want to get promoted. I didn't think i'd be saying this but even though the job wasn't that great, i'll miss the social interaction aspect of it and talking to people.

I have mild social anxiety and the job really helped a lot and after 9 months of unemployment and playing video games all day long, it was much appreciated. I don't know if i wanna stay there though as i wasn't making much money, but finding a decent job right now is almost impossible.

My head is in a ****ing mess right now and i don't know what to do or think. Am i screwed financially as i still owe about £30k to student fiance and i have no degree for it?

HELP????

Have you tried entry level jobs?
i was in same situation as this ......
Reply 7
Original post by Iqbal007
Have you tried entry level jobs?

Been applying for months mate. What jobs in particular are you referring to? The door to door is the only one that would hire me.

I got another call center one for fundraising but my tone of voice didn't sound human enough (it was flat and dull)
Reply 8
Original post by micra's rule
i was in same situation as this ......

How did you deal with it? Any ideas, tips or help would be greatly appreciated.
Been applying for months mate. What jobs in particular are you referring to? The door to door is the only one that would hire me.

I got another call center one for fundraising but my tone of voice didn't sound human enough (it was flat and dull)

Accounting for example, these jobs start you off on a decent basic salary, training, etc and helps you to develop onwards.
My advice is to do distance learning your own time work part time
Well, you'll be under the new scheme now even if you started of under the old scheme, so it will be the 9k tuition fee or so, you may get a maintenance grant for living costs around 4k but possibly less if you are loving at home/parents income. I know as I started a course in 2010 under the old scheme but it didn't work out so started a later course under the new scheme. You can look into it yourself to be sure with student finance but I'm pretty sure that's the way it will be.

To be honest though economics is a pretty generic degree, not saying its easy, no doubt its probably pretty hard. I would say unless not having a degree is a barrier to entry to a given occupation, i.e dentistry, medicine, etc then the degree is likely to do very little for you as employers can and will hire anyone they like, degree or not. The BA and BSc distinction doesn't really mean a great deal, the course may or may not be more science or art orientated and having one is not necessarily denote more status than the other. I say gambling because if you have been this unsuccessful so far how much more money are you prepared to spend to get a degree that employers won't care less about you having.

If I were you I would find a job where they're are plenty of females, uni is no sure way to get laid, the party crowd are the party crowd wherever and most of them probably have std's.

I had compelling reasons. I failed the first time as i was on antidepressants and came them off suddenly and i suffered serious effects because of that such as memory problems, insomnia, extreme anxiety e.t.c which caused me to fail my exams.

I repeated the year but the sudden death of my grandmother and confusion about filling an extenuating circumstances form meant that after failing one exam i got kicked out with a CertHe.

So you don't see the point of having a degree? I'd like to go back and finish what i started. My mum is talking about taking out a bank loan to fund it, but it's just so much money and i'm not sure it's a wise thing to do.

What kind of jobs are there that require no qualification and have plenty of females?

Another thing i've looked at are apprenticeships in the creative industry with companies like the BBC and Sky.
Original post by James222
My advice is to do distance learning your own time work part time

What is distance learning? How do i go about it and how much will it cost?
I had compelling reasons. I failed the first time as i was on antidepressants and came them off suddenly and i suffered serious effects because of that such as memory problems, insomnia, extreme anxiety e.t.c which caused me to fail my exams.

I repeated the year but the sudden death of my grandmother and confusion about filling an extenuating circumstances form meant that after failing one exam i got kicked out with a CertHe.

So you don't see the point of having a degree? I'd like to go back and finish what i started. My mum is talking about taking out a bank loan to fund it, but it's just so much money and i'm not sure it's a wise thing to do.

What kind of jobs are there that require no qualification and have plenty of females?

Another thing i've looked at are apprenticeships in the creative industry with companies like the BBC and Sky.

Well you would have to make sure your grades are good in second & third year as this is what your final degree classification would be taken from. À poor degree classification could really turn off employers from you. So, be sure your won't be taking any poor marks over from your last attempt on your new degree if you do it. Once you complete registration you are committed financially for the year really so think hard I would as a good job is by no means assured even with a decent degree classification. A bank loan is something I would be very cautions of, you will probably get student finance back for the third year but a load of dosh either way. So you might be in a very unhappy situation post uni.

On jobs off the top of my head i would say, bars/restaurants, hotels, supermarkets, hospitals, office jobs, estate agents, care homes, etc. Not all may be considered good jobs but if you meet a girl and are happy there. Most jobs i think you only really get the good stuff after you've been there à while and worked yourself up through experience anyway and you won't get this experience in uni.
Well you would have to make sure your grades are good in second & third year as this is what your final degree classification would be taken from. À poor degree classification could really turn off employers from you. So, be sure your won't be taking any poor marks over from your last attempt on your new degree if you do it. Once you complete registration you are committed financially for the year really so think hard I would as a good job is by no means assured even with a decent degree classification. A bank loan is something I would be very cautions of, you will probably get student finance back for the third year but a load of dosh either way. So you might be in a very unhappy situation post uni.

On jobs off the top of my head i would say, bars/restaurants, hotels, supermarkets, hospitals, office jobs, estate agents, care homes, etc. Not all may be considered good jobs but if you meet a girl and are happy there. Most jobs i think you only really get the good stuff after you've been there à while and worked yourself up through experience anyway and you won't get this experience in uni.

The grades are okay; all 2:1s with the exception of the failed module that got me kicked out. I haven't registered for my course as i'd be liable for fees and i also spoke to someone about it at the uni so im stuck atm.

Right now it doesn't look like much will happen. The OIA haven't gotten back to me, and lectures have started so i won't be able to start this year i don't think. Other family members have talked about getting commercial loans but this just seems stupid to me as it's going to be so expensive paying it all back. Why do you say i'll be unhappy post uni?

All this has cost me a year of my life and i just wanna move on with life. I hate seeing people pairing up, getting engaged and buying houses all over Facebook. I feel like i'll never be good enough to be like normal people who get married and have kids e.t.c
The grades are okay; all 2:1s with the exception of the failed module that got me kicked out. I haven't registered for my course as i'd be liable for fees and i also spoke to someone about it at the uni so im stuck atm.

Right now it doesn't look like much will happen. The OIA haven't gotten back to me, and lectures have started so i won't be able to start this year i don't think. Other family members have talked about getting commercial loans but this just seems stupid to me as it's going to be so expensive paying it all back. Why do you say i'll be unhappy post uni?

All this has cost me a year of my life and i just wanna move on with life. I hate seeing people pairing up, getting engaged and buying houses all over Facebook. I feel like i'll never be good enough to be like normal people who get married and have kids e.t.c

I guess that is what many of us want but uni may or may not help deliver that, in fact it may be counterproductive in helping you obtain female/marriage/house whichis why I say you may be unhappy post uni basically because you may have taken on a lot if debt and still have none of those things plus be unemployed as well. Even in boom times a lot of grads can be unemployed. The female thing could rely more on social skills than just being in uni where females are around so you could meet one at work, night out, etc. if you've got social skills. Put it this way if you didnt meet one in year 1 would you in year 2 or 3 at uni when work needs to be put in, you might but perhaps not that likely. I would use the year you've got to see if you can get settled in a job, try a change to your current/previous job.
I guess that is what many of us want but uni may or may not help deliver that, in fact it may be counterproductive in helping you obtain female/marriage/house whichis why I say you may be unhappy post uni basically because you may have taken on a lot if debt and still have none of those things plus be unemployed as well. Even in boom times a lot of grads can be unemployed. The female thing could rely more on social skills than just being in uni where females are around so you could meet one at work, night out, etc. if you've got social skills. Put it this way if you didnt meet one in year 1 would you in year 2 or 3 at uni when work needs to be put in, you might but perhaps not that likely. I would use the year you've got to see if you can get settled in a job, try a change to your current/previous job.

Well i met a girl in the 3rd year that i was at University (which was my 2nd year) so i don't see why it would be hard to meet people esp now that i'm more confident.

I'd really like to complete my degree, i don't think i'd be happy to die without finishing what i started, i'm OCD like that.

I wouldn't go back to my previous job; door to door wouldn't be fun in winter but definitely in spring and summer when days are longer and it's warmer.

What about things like CIMA how does that work and how much does it cost?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending