The Student Room Group

Choosing a levels/ help

Hi, I am currently in year 11 only and have been thinking about my a-level choices already. As, I am looking around at different 6th forms, some require entrance exams in my four subject choices. I would love any advice to choosing my A-levels. I currently chosen history, french, computing and geography as my options in GCSE's and pretty much I am A grade student in all of them.

I would love to have a career maybe in investment banking or computer science as a software engineer maybe. I have been learning JAVA for the past year, and self-teach myself CSS and HTML, will this help me? So, I would like to choose suitable A-levels that would be suitable to both, if possible.

Currently, I have one idea to take Maths, Physics, History and French or maybe drop physics and take Economics or Philosophy, they both interest me. What do you think, and what options for these career paths? Thanks.
Reply 1
Original post by big_dreamer
Thanks.

Looks like good all around choices! Your college doesnt offer computing? That sucks :frown: Economics + Philosophy are good subjects to replace physics if you're not really into it. I did economics and found it very straightforward and easy to pick up. Didnt take too much revision time either :wink:

With sort of finance / computer science, you can pretty much get into the vast majority of courses with maths a level alone. So your other 3 choices just kind of act as a bonus. Most big banks and investment banks have extremely large technology departments (Even i thought that banks just hire finance based people >.<), so even doing a CS degree would be very valuable to getting in these industries - I recall from my WExp @ JPmorgan them saying they hire more computer engineers (or software) than google :s-smilie:
(Client services and technology i think is the correct department)
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Jkizer
Looks like good all around choices! Your college doesnt offer computing? That sucks :frown: Economics + Philosophy are good subjects to replace physics if you're not really into it. I did economics and found it very straightforward and easy to pick up. Didnt take too much revision time either :wink:

With sort of finance / computer science, you can pretty much get into the vast majority of courses with maths a level alone. So your other 3 choices just kind of act as a bonus. Most big banks and investment banks have extremely large technology departments (Even i thought that banks just hire finance based people >.<), so even doing a CS degree would be very valuable to getting in these industries - I recall from my WExp @ JPmorgan them saying they hire more computer engineers (or software) than google :s-smilie:
(Client services and technology i think is the correct department)

At my current school, I don't think they offer computing and at other schools I am applying to. Yeah, I was thinking of doing that, i feel confident in physics but people keep saying how it is the hardest a-level and it is impossible to do well in it. This kind of puts me of even though I am interested in it and it would look good when apply to unis if I get a good grade in it.

Yeah I guess so, and thats good. Wow, I would have loved to do Work Experience there!
Reply 3
You appear to be a high achieving student, so don't let what everyone else spreads about subject difficult shroud your decisions. Physics isn't impossible, and if you're interested in it then go for it.

You need maths, hands down. After that, everything else is good.

Quick Reply

Latest