The Student Room Group

Has anyone taken the access to health and health sciences to do a psychology degree?

Right, unfortunately I didn't get onto the psychology course I wanted to do. But I got a phone call for this course yesterday saying people have dropped out and there are spaces.

So has anyone done health and health sciences gone on to take a psychology degree? As I want to make sure this is a suitable course.

Many thanks
Original post by Mattj88
Right, unfortunately I didn't get onto the psychology course I wanted to do. But I got a phone call for this course yesterday saying people have dropped out and there are spaces.

So has anyone done health and health sciences gone on to take a psychology degree? As I want to make sure this is a suitable course.

Many thanks

I did Access to Heath and Social Care, which is presumably pretty similar, although if you want to tell me the breakdown of your course I can tell you how similar. I applied, and got offers, for Nottingham, Bath, Kent, Southampton, and Loughborough, and am starting at Bath next week.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
I don't have the full breakdown of the course. I know it has biology, chemistry, psychology and sociology. But if you got offers for psychology then I'm sure this course will be fine. Thanks. I'm just panicking lol.
Original post by Mattj88
I don't have the full breakdown of the course. I know it has biology, chemistry, psychology and sociology. But if you got offers for psychology then I'm sure this course will be fine. Thanks. I'm just panicking lol.

I didn't do chemistry (thank goodness!) , but the rest sounds the same. Just make sure you meet the maths requirements of any universities you're interested in - some ask for a particular grade at GCSE maths. Where are you thinking about applying for?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Millie1986
I didn't do chemistry (thank goodness!) , but the rest sounds the same. Just make sure you meet the maths requirements of any universities you're interested in - some ask for a particular grade at GCSE maths. Where are you thinking about applying for?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes I know this. Most ask for C but sussex require a B. I have a C. But may apply there and see how it goes. Other than that Chichester, Brighton, Surrey and Portsmouth. They need to be nearby as I'm going to commute.

Yeh I'm not a fan of Science, my worst subjects lol. But we will see how I get on, fingers crossed if I really knuckle down I should be ok.
Original post by Mattj88
Yes I know this. Most ask for C but sussex require a B. I have a C. But may apply there and see how it goes. Other than that Chichester, Brighton, Surrey and Portsmouth. They need to be nearby as I'm going to commute.

Yeh I'm not a fan of Science, my worst subjects lol. But we will see how I get on, fingers crossed if I really knuckle down I should be ok.

You could consider redoing your maths - lots of courses offer that alongside access. Do you know what you want to do with your psychology degree? And would Southampton be commutable for you? They have a very good psychology department. Surrey and Sussex are both good too. Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
When I mentioned I wanted to go on to study Psychology, I was first advised to go onto the Health/Science Access course, but after looking at the modules I decided to do Access to Humanities and Social Sciences instead. I'm really glad I did! I was right up my street - it didn't have any Science, but it did have Social Welfare, Psychology and Social Theory modules.
I applied to Brighton, Chichester, Essex and Kent, mostly for the plain Psychology Bsc courses, and I got offers from all four (I'm starting at Kent next week! Applied Psychology with Clinical Psychology).

I wanted to apply to Sussex, too, but I have a C in GCSE maths - I emailed them when I was researching Uni's and they basically told me to either retake my entire maths GCSE, or not to bother applying at all! They said they wouldn't even accept the GCSE Maths Equivalence that my Access course offered. So I gave up on the idea of Sussex. But it all worked out in the end!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Angelbee
When I mentioned I wanted to go on to study Psychology, I was first advised to go onto the Health/Science Access course, but after looking at the modules I decided to do Access to Humanities and Social Sciences instead. I'm really glad I did! I was right up my street - it didn't have any Science, but it did have Social Welfare, Psychology and Social Theory modules.
I applied to Brighton, Chichester, Essex and Kent, mostly for the plain Psychology Bsc courses, and I got offers from all four (I'm starting at Kent next week! Applied Psychology with Clinical Psychology).

I wanted to apply to Sussex, too, but I have a C in GCSE maths - I emailed them when I was researching Uni's and they basically told me to either retake my entire maths GCSE, or not to bother applying at all! They said they wouldn't even accept the GCSE Maths Equivalence that my Access course offered. So I gave up on the idea of Sussex. But it all worked out in the end!

I'd love to hear how you get on at Kent - I dithered for ages between Bath (which is where I'm going) and that course at Kent. It seemed like a lovely department, really friendly etc, and the main reason I ended up going for Bath was because they have such a lot of clinical research going on, and that's the area I'm interested in, whereas Kent have external people teaching the clinical modules. But I changed my mind about which to go to more times than I can count!

Regarding doing access in social sciences or health and social care - I think either is fine. Personally I didn't like science at school and had a bit of a mental block about it, so I'm really glad that my access included human biology as it has helped me to get over that and will hopefully mean I'm less freaked out by all of the biological parts of the psychology degree, but either course can get you onto a psychology degree.
Reply 8
Original post by Angelbee

Yeh I know Humanities and social science or psychology the more traditional access courses. And the 2 I would have liked to go on. But unfortunately I applied to late (in June) and all the places were filled but I didn't get told this until a week before the course started by me ringing them.

I can't afford to retake maths GCSE. I did look at Southampton but something turned me off. But I'll have another look at it.

Portsmouth would be my first choice even though it is the furthest away from me as I am looking to go on and take a masters in Forensic. Portsmouth run the masters and they also run a BA in Forensic Psychology.
Reply 9
Original post by Millie1986

Regarding doing access in social sciences or health and social care - I think either is fine. Personally I didn't like science at school and had a bit of a mental block about it, so I'm really glad that my access included human biology as it has helped me to get over that and will hopefully mean I'm less freaked out by all of the biological parts of the psychology degree, but either course can get you onto a psychology degree.

Brilliant thanks. As I said I was just a little panicked. So hopefully I get on the course and all will good. Thanks for your help :biggrin:
Reply 10
I am now enrolled on the course!! Woooo hooooo!!! I know I am a week behind, but they did say it shouldn't be too bad catching up, as a big part of the first 2 days was inductions etc.

This time next year I'll hopefully be going to Uni.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending