The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hi , What's your first year timetable like on an average week ? Also do you go to the gym ( bear with me here ) If so is it worth paying the extra for Qmotion or is 'fitness to practice' ok ?
Still can't decide between Barts or Kings :frown: someone decide for me plz
Original post by Matthew150
Hi all.

First year student here, let me know if anyone has any questions/comments or is looking for a friendly face to say hello to during Freshers!

Inbox me questions, or post here.

Hi , What's your first year timetable like on an average week ? Also do you go to the gym ( bear with me here ) If so is it worth paying the extra for Qmotion or is 'fitness to practice' ok ?
Hi all.

First year student here, let me know if anyone has any questions/comments or is looking for a friendly face to say hello to during Freshers!

Hi,
First of all, it is very nice of you.
I have some questions.
Is the first year difficult and is it hard to get good grades?
Is is true that anatomy is bad at Barts?
Have you got any past papery from previous exams to see in general how does it look like?
Thank you in advance for your response
Original post by Ambitions

BAAAAARRRRRRTTTTTTSSSSS!!! In all seriousness, everyone here is so nice and you'll love it.

Original post by Scowley12

From opening a random week on my timetable:

4 hours of PBL
10 hours of lectures
2 hours of SSC time
3 hours of Anatomy
Full Day of MedSoc (GP Placement).

That's a moderately quiet week though.

It's a mix of PBL, lectures, anatomy/physiology/microanatomy and GP placement once a fortnight.

I'm afraid I don't go to the gym, so can't help you much there!
Original post by Ambitions

I was in the same position and ended up firming Kings about a week ago! Either way, they're both brilliant medical schools, and you're presumably going to be fairly happy at either :P
Original post by medicex
Hi,
First of all, it is very nice of you.
I have some questions.
Is the first year difficult and is it hard to get good grades?
Is is true that anatomy is bad at Barts?
Have you got any past papery from previous exams to see in general how does it look like?
Thank you in advance for your response

No worries.

Sorry, I didn't notice this until now.

1. It depends what you define as difficult. The important thing to remember is you go from a Sixth Form/College of mixed ability, to a year where everyone has got top grades, and many will already have degrees etc.
As long as you stay on top of the work, you'll be fine. Try not to stress too much during first year, get settled first.

2. I enjoy it, you have a Dissection SSC (Optional, but heavily heavily recommended) and weekly Anatomy classes combined with lectures.

3. Afraid not, but there is:

A spotter. This is based on Anatomy and Microanatomy (arrow points somewhere - What is it?) - Multiple choice.

Short Answer Questions - Mainly based on PBL/General Course Content

Single Best Answer - Multiple choice covering all topics.

Then there's Clinical Skills for End Of Years.

I wouldn't worry about exams and stuff now though. It'll all be explained during Freshers, and whilst important, you're here to become a rounded and sociable individual as well! (I.e. Enjoy your first year. The best Doctor does not necessarily have the best grades!).
Just to add, I'm not sure where all these "Barts are bad at Anatomy" rumours are coming from.

Barts is one of the top rated Medical Schools in the country (4th last year, 6th this year). It is known as being great fun and having a good community spirit, whilst producing some excellent Doctors.

By going to Barts, you'll be competent in Anatomy. Just as you will be in any other area of the syllabus.
Hi all.

Hey, thanks for taking questions!
Do you know if anyone who lives in London end up getting halls accommodation after being rejected and put on the waiting list?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TechRaid3r
Hey, thanks for taking questions!
Do you know if anyone who lives in London end up getting halls accommodation after being rejected and put on the waiting list?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes. I don't know how many from London got halls, but I know of one girl who's from Hackney, and somehow swung it.

So don't lose hope, but also do keep an eye open for other alternatives incase you don't.
Or commute, I suppose.
Hi all.

Hi Matthew- I've seen your posts earlier in this thread and in last year's thread about being on the waiting list. Do you have any advice on this? I'm on the waiting list too (year 13 student). I'm quite worried because I don't have any other medical offers. Many thanks.
Original post by mwang1903
Hi Matthew- I've seen your posts earlier in this thread and in last year's thread about being on the waiting list. Do you have any advice on this? I'm on the waiting list too (year 13 student). I'm quite worried because I don't have any other medical offers. Many thanks.

THere's not a lot of advice I can offer, except that I was on it, and am here now.

All I can suggest is work hard for your exams. If you get the grades, and loads of other people don't, then you're in. If not, it's unlucky but you can always re-apply.

Unfortunately you can't change what will happen, but you can ensure that you'll get the place if it's available by getting the grades.

Good luck!
If anyone needs any advice on Barts inbox me.

Congrats on your offers,
Current Barts student
Just filling out the occupational health form , they ask if I've ever had special arrangements at school or work , I had extra time for a slow reading speed in gcse's and a levels , now worrying slightly that they could withdraw their offer based on that ? Why is it even on the form , it's nothing to do with occupational health...
Original post by Scowley12
Just filling out the occupational health form , they ask if I've ever had special arrangements at school or work , I had extra time for a slow reading speed in gcse's and a levels , now worrying slightly that they could withdraw their offer based on that ? Why is it even on the form , it's nothing to do with occupational health...

It's only for your benefit, so that they can make any special arrangements during your studies if need be. The OH form would not disadvantage you in any way.
I am at floyer this year but have been inside dawson a lot of times. basically the rooms are the same level of bad, it is just the area as dawson in way nicer location but floyer is way better for lecctures and anatomy andneverything and works out cheaper as less commuting costs which in the mornings getting in for a 9am which for the half of the year will be at least 4 days. also the flats are bigger so more people for every kitchen as most have about 15 whereas in floyer never more than 10. but overall just avoid mile end and go barts
to anyone on the waiting list, good luck. there are people who do get offers from it also there are others who often get offered a place for the year after.
Barts has been great so far, the PBLs really do make you learn the information. If I had to give tips for freshers I'd say:

1. Learn the lectures as you're going along, because there is hardly any study time prior to exams to get through all the work.

2. We have 2 SSC (student selected components) which they allow you to choose some time in November, it's first come first served and it opens up at 6am. Do it as fast as possible, 2/3rds of the year had submitted at 6.20am. (If you choose accelerated learning, it's literally just 2 weeks of doing your own revision which gives you extra study time)

3. Make friends with students in upper years, they often have good notes, past papers etc which they can share as the papers aren't available anywhere else.

4. Go to the MESS society sessions if you don't understand a topic, it is a student run teaching.

5. Turn up to the clinical sessions at the Barbican, it's quite time consuming but you'd lose professionalism points if you miss too many, which is what happened to many people who didn't realise.

6. Private message me if you want to read ahead on Funmed, I have the lecture slides on a dropbox.
THere's not a lot of advice I can offer, except that I was on it, and am here now.

All I can suggest is work hard for your exams. If you get the grades, and loads of other people don't, then you're in. If not, it's unlucky but you can always re-apply.

Unfortunately you can't change what will happen, but you can ensure that you'll get the place if it's available by getting the grades.

Good luck!

Hi Matthew, I'm on the waiting list for Barts this year so I was just wondering if you knew how many people were given offers from the waiting list last year. Also, I read you were ranked 80 to 107th so does that mean most people are given offers?
Original post by TechRaider2
Hi Matthew, I'm on the waiting list for Barts this year so I was just wondering if you knew how many people were given offers from the waiting list last year. Also, I read you were ranked 80 to 107th so does that mean most people are given offers?

I like your username (y)

Latest

Trending

Trending