The Student Room Group

Why are so many songs about love/romance these days?

Why? I don't get it, surely there's many other topics to sing about as well?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Multitalented me
Why? I don't get it, surely there's many other topics to sing about as well?

Yeh but romantic songs are so... Um... Romantic :daydreaming: they end up making you think about someone or whatever :lol:
Cause people don't like change, they don't know how to ride the wave of life, you just drop in and it's like WOOOSH, then you catch the wave and it's gnarly as FUUUUUUUU you're goin like 50, at the time you feel like you're ridin a tsunami but you realise it's only like a 6 ft wave but it's still sick dude ya hear me ahall righteous....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princess31
Yeh but romantic songs are so... Um... Romantic :daydreaming: they end up making you think about someone or whatever :lol:
Well I've never been in a relationship so can't relate, although I do like many emotional songs of which a lot seem to be about love & romance. Just think there shouldn't be as much lol :tongue:
Original post by Multitalented me
Well I've never been in a relationship so can't relate, although I do like many emotional songs of which a lot seem to be about love & romance. Just think there shouldn't be as much lol :tongue:

Lmao I knu I knu :lol: some emotional songs could relate to other things as well :lol: like losing someone close to you and stuff, dunno, some songs make me cry tho :cry2: and I know what you mean lol.l
It appeals to a mass market because it's the one thing that pretty much everybody understands and gets emotional about.
There are other topics to sing about, but most of them will alienate the section of the market who have no interest in that topic.
It used to be pretty much just songs about romance but now we have romance songs & songs about partying. :smile:
Because artists have no imagination.
Reply 8
So that you and me could write a bad romance.
Reply 9
Lol i dontknow what you have been listening too ...but all i hear on the radio involves either sex, drugs, alcohol & partying.
Love me a bit of TY Dolla signnnnn$$$$
Original post by Hachik0
Because artists have no imagination.
I actually felt a little silly writing a love song to put in the album I'm working on, for this reason. But it fit - I'm doing something of a concept album about how other people make us who we are, kind of like The Wall but from a different perspective, and there is someone in my life who makes the love song relevant. But the fact that there is such a profound number of them around made me stop and put some actual thought into writing it.
The conditions that created Thom Yorke, Jarvis Cocker, Richard Ashcroft, no longer exist to that extent. Where you'd have isolated geniuses feeling both at odds with yet also invigorated by the enterprise nature of the pre-internet materialist age.

Nowadays if you feel isolated it's made out to be less a case of 'your time will come' and more a case of 'the time is NOW! What are you doing moping around?'

No-one talented is allowed to set their own agenda anymore for when theyll come in to the limelight. Because if they leave it too late then people will move on to someone else within a few minutes. The internet makes it all so easy to ignore people and just treat life as a series of products that flash before your eyes or ears. leaving nothing but the smallest imprint on you.

And so music becomes inconsequential- and so does life. I know that life was richer in the 80s and 90s.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 12
Lets play your love game your love game.
Money.

Love songs sell. Plus we are getting to that time of year, autumn, when people start settling down and new romances flourish.
Original post by Swanbow
Money.

Love songs sell. Plus we are getting to that time of year, autumn, when people start settling down and new romances flourish.

Are you from high school musical?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Yeah dude
Are you from high school musical?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, yes I am.
Original post by Swanbow
Yes, yes I am.

Oh, the autumn and new romances flourish thing kinda gives it away :biggrin: what time is itttttt

Posted from TSR Mobile
Because there's so much to say, they can speak from experience, can emotionally engage with audience, nice tune and nice to hear :smile:
This is not a new phenomenon

Quick Reply

Latest