The Student Room Group

Learning Disability Nursing Blog

Hi all!
Ive started this blog to document my time at university and hopefully help some others along the way, in particular those doing nursing, especially learning disability branch.
Im hoping i can keep this going and if anyone has any suggestions that would be great.
There is a contact me button on the blog and an email address if anyone wants to talk in a more confidential way than on here :smile:

Thanks everyone!

http://ldstudentnurse.blogspot.co.uk/

Best of luck x

Scroll to see replies

I have huge respect for LD nurses. I've done a lot of work with people who have LD and I've seen what a difference you guys can make to someone's hospital experience. I'm an aspiring SLT rather than a nurse, but I'll be reading with interest. :smile:
Thanks for sharing, looking forward to reading more once you get started on your course :smile:
Reply 3
Thanks!
From my work with l.d and then applying for nursing I found there is very little in the way of l.d nursing, what it entails and just how much you do on the course.
I've also been inspired by the amount of negativity I've also heard and received in regards to the course and how it isn't a proper branch etc.
So all the negative comments have just inspired me to keep going!
So im hoping to keep this going throughout my 3 years and hopefully beyond.
So any comments or suggestions are welcome :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
You are a god send. I am in the same position you were in last year with applying to do learning disability nursing. I have been trawling through sites for information. The uni sites are OK, and the BILD website but to have a glimpse first hand from another person who has been through the process is wonderful.
Thank you. Will be keeping up to date with your blog.
Any tips as to how to get across on the personal statement how strongly you feel about promoting the rights of people with LD without sounding too OTT.

Emma
Reply 5
Original post by emmsy1987
You are a god send. I am in the same position you were in last year with applying to do learning disability nursing. I have been trawling through sites for information. The uni sites are OK, and the BILD website but to have a glimpse first hand from another person who has been through the process is wonderful.
Thank you. Will be keeping up to date with your blog.
Any tips as to how to get across on the personal statement how strongly you feel about promoting the rights of people with LD without sounding too OTT.

Emma

Hi Emma,
Glad I can help. I started the blog for that reason. I couldn't find anything either and it was frustrating. There's only a small amount and what websites I did find were no longer active. Which is a shame as l.d nurses I have worked with have been amazing.
As for your application. Do you have experience and can you write what you have gained from it? Can you write about why are choosing l.d and not another branch? It's the same as any personal statement. You need to apply yourself and tell the person reading it just exactly why you are applying in the first place. If you can think of any first hand examples etc you should be fine. Just remember why you are doing it first and foremost :smile:
And best of luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Keeping up with this blog as best I can!
Nursing degree is underway and it is full on and we are kept busy but it's loads of fun. People are lovely and I won't regret it for a second doing it!
Learning disabilities is so much fun and we have already met a few people that are friend with the lecturer that came in to talk to us (they have l.d) and they were so inspiring.
Love my course :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Another week gone and one less to placement.
It's scary how quick it seems to be going!
Best of luck to all you 2015 applicants :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
http://www.ldstudentnurse.blogspot.co.uk/2014/10/assignments-deadlines-and-more.html?m=1

New entry for those that are asking what's involved academically.
Best of luck everyone!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Another 2 posts today to make up for my lack of posts the past 2 weeks. It's been busy!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi deviant, nice blog
Original post by deviant182
Hi all!
Ive started this blog to document my time at university and hopefully help some others along the way, in particular those doing nursing, especially learning disability branch.
Im hoping i can keep this going and if anyone has any suggestions that would be great.
There is a contact me button on the blog and an email address if anyone wants to talk in a more confidential way than on here :smile:

Thanks everyone!

http://ldstudentnurse.blogspot.co.uk/

Best of luck x

Very informative blog. Thank you and all the best with your course
Interesting stuff there. Would love to get more of a perspective on nursing practice!
Original post by zimkundi
Very informative blog. Thank you and all the best with your course

Original post by hellodave5
Interesting stuff there. Would love to get more of a perspective on nursing practice!

I start placement on Monday so I am sure it will become a lot more relevant to people with that as well!
It's a busy course and it does require a lot of self discipline and organisation!
Best advice I can give to anyone?
Start revising your maths and drug calculations and your anatomy and physiology. I have found that's helped loads so far :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I start placement on Monday so I am sure it will become a lot more relevant to people with that as well!
It's a busy course and it does require a lot of self discipline and organisation!
Best advice I can give to anyone?
Start revising your maths and drug calculations and your anatomy and physiology. I have found that's helped loads so far :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah nooo. I'm terrible at maths. I hope it's not too difficult.
I'm sure you'll have lots of interesting experiences to share from on the ward :smile:
Original post by hellodave5
Ah nooo. I'm terrible at maths. I hope it's not too difficult.
I'm sure you'll have lots of interesting experiences to share from on the ward :smile:

It isn't too bad but it does get more complicated as the years go on as you need to be able to convert measurements and work out flow rates for drips etc (even though on many wards these are automated via the machine).
But we have been told 80% to pass first year, 90% second year and 100% for final year.
So plenty of revision!

Posted from TSR Mobile
It isn't too bad but it does get more complicated as the years go on as you need to be able to convert measurements and work out flow rates for drips etc (even though on many wards these are automated via the machine).
But we have been told 80% to pass first year, 90% second year and 100% for final year.
So plenty of revision!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aye, no room for error in meds, I guess!
Reply 17
I start LD nursing in April at Edge hill uni. Im so excited to get started now gonna do some reading up after xmas. Any advice before I start ?
Original post by sally76
I start LD nursing in April at Edge hill uni. Im so excited to get started now gonna do some reading up after xmas. Any advice before I start ?

As I said above. Read up on medication calculations and make an effort to start learning your anatomy and physiology. And if you haven't already, read the Death by Indifference report as that's very touching and very important to learning disabilities. And above all, if you haven't already, get a thick skin and learn not to take too much to heart. You will deal with a lot of different situations and challenging behaviour etc and remove yourself from it at the end of the day :smile:
Best of luck, I'm 2 days in to my first placement and I love it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
As I said above. Read up on medication calculations and make an effort to start learning your anatomy and physiology. And if you haven't already, read the Death by Indifference report as that's very touching and very important to learning disabilities. And above all, if you haven't already, get a thick skin and learn not to take too much to heart. You will deal with a lot of different situations and challenging behaviour etc and remove yourself from it at the end of the day :smile:
Best of luck, I'm 2 days in to my first placement and I love it!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you so much for that ! Love the blog best of luck with the course im excited to start now.
what university are you at ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending