The Student Room Group

How to get rid of ringworm FAST?!?

Yesterday I woke up in the morning to find a patch of skin on my cheek that was turning red in some areas, forming the shape of a ring. I have looked it up online and I'm 99% sure its ringworm. Which doesn't seem to make sense seeing as I'm very hygienic and I shower at least once a day etc.

I start university in a week today and I'm starting to freak out about having this for when I start. I found some athletes foot cream in the house, so I have been using that on it, but after waking up today, it doesn't seem to be any better at all!

Does anyone know of any decent treatments that can get rid of this problem within a week? Thanks.
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Yesterday I woke up in the morning to find a patch of skin on my cheek that was turning red in some areas, forming the shape of a ring. I have looked it up online and I'm 99% sure its ringworm. Which doesn't seem to make sense seeing as I'm very hygienic and I shower at least once a day etc.

I start university in a week today and I'm starting to freak out about having this for when I start. I found some athletes foot cream in the house, so I have been using that on it, but after waking up today, it doesn't seem to be any better at all!

Does anyone know of any decent treatments that can get rid of this problem within a week? Thanks.

Do you do anything like Yoga or martial arts - especially Judo, aikido or BJJ?

You need to visit the GP - you can only treat it with a prescription fungal cream.

You may be able to visit a walk in centre. Alternatively see the local pharmacist - they all have private rooms where you can show him/her your patch

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/ringworm/Pages/Introduction.aspx

It could also be impetigo
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Clip
Do you do anything like Yoga or martial arts - especially Judo, aikido or BJJ?

I don't but I do swim regularly. I've just read that it can be spread in swimming pools so that may be where I have got it from.

Original post by squeakysquirrel
You need to visit the GP - you can only treat it with a prescription fungal cream.

You may be able to visit a walk in centre. Alternatively see the local pharmacist - they all have private rooms where you can show him/her your patch

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/ringworm/Pages/Introduction.aspx

It could also be impetigo

Thanks very much, I have just looked at some pictures of impetigo and I'm pretty sure its not that. I'll go to see a pharmacist today.
My animal management tutor swears that thrush cream is the best. She runs a cat rescue and has had a lot of ringworm infections and said that a thrush cream is best.

You can be the most hygienic person and still get it because of how viable it is in the environment. A surface may have had it that you touched or something. Check all over your body as it may be somewhere else

Hope this helps :smile:
I had it when I was younger and was prescribed Daktarin (miconazole). It worked a treat for me.
Reply 6
I've been using canesten on mine, which you don't need to get on prescription- can be bought from tescos or anywhere. As ringworm is a fungal infection it's the same treatment for athletes foot. Perfectly possible that you got it from the pool, I'm a lifeguard and myself and several others that I work with get it frequently.
I get it every now and then I do Jujitsu and I often see lads not showering after training and it really pisses me off and they don't see what I get so annoyed about. There is a stigma with ringworm but it's not caused by poor hygine, though poor hygine does increase your chance of getting it and it deffinatly increases its spread.

First time I got it cream like lamisil did the trick, second time I needed pills from the doc, third time too, fourth time I had to go back to the docters for more pills AND an upped dose ... It stayed for about 5 months. It started going after I applied diluted bleach to the lesions ...I'm not saying you should do this, and a docter will almost certainly tell you not to.

Change your bed sheets every night, use your towels only once then wash them. Also try a combination of lamisil and mycota creams, the fungi that causes ringworm is the same that casuses atheletes foot, so if you have that mycota powder your feet too.

If you are using communal showers don't share soap and wear flip flops (should be wearing flip flops anyway but a lot of people don't) Ringworm is highly contaigious, do not share clothes, towels or a bed(sorry) with anyone or you will pass it on to them.

Remeber it thrives on warmth and moisture, so don't apply moisturisor to the area and keep any effected areas uncovered when you sleep.
(edited 9 years ago)

Paint it with iodine.
How about washing.
Thanks for the advice everyone.

I went to see a skin doctor on monday and they prescribed me a cream which seems to be working so far :smile:
Thanks for the advice everyone.

I went to see a skin doctor on monday and they prescribed me a cream which seems to be working so far :smile:

Hi, which cream did they prescribe? I'm struggling to treat mine, and it seems to be spreading. Thanks.

Quick Reply