The Student Room Group

4th AS subject choice

I am planning to pursue a career in optometry, Here is what I am going to study at College next year:
Biology, Chemistry, a language and something else.
I think doing Physics as well will make it difficult. What else can I do that will help with optometry, excluding maths and English.
I would take Biology, Chemistry, Physics and a Language and then see if u can get some work experience because I really wouldn't take more than 4 Alevels, especially considering all of yours are core subjects!

I take chemistry, biology, geography and English literature and trust me you need all the time you can get for the sciences to read around the subject and practice exam papers.
Reply 2
Honestly doesn't matter. You need two sciences for Optometry typically, so you either take one of maths/physics so you have choice, or commit yourself to definitely taking biology and chemistry to A2.

After that, pick something you're good at/interested in. I don't think there's anything else particularly relevant so anything you fancy and can get a decent grade in.
Original post by amelimoo
I would take Biology, Chemistry, Physics and a Language and then see if u can get some work experience because I really wouldn't take more than 4 Alevels, especially considering all of yours are core subjects!

I take chemistry, biology, geography and English literature and trust me you need all the time you can get for the sciences to read around the subject and practice exam papers.

Thanks.
How do you find Geography? Is it difficult to balance with Biology and Chemistry?
Is AS/A2 English Lit a lot different to GCSE?
Original post by STUDYREVISE
Thanks.
How do you find Geography? Is it difficult to balance with Biology and Chemistry?
Is AS/A2 English Lit a lot different to GCSE?

Geography's my favourite so far because i'm finding that its got the smallest jump out of the subjects I picked. It's also really interesting especially the discussions about conflict and population change. So far I'm finding that it works really well with bio and chem because you develop the same skills and bits overlap.

English Lit is probably the one that I'm struggling with the most at the moment. I got an A at GCSE and I honestly think I got a U in the little mini assessment we did last week. It heavily relies on context and essay structure and the actual books you study are alot bigger and for advanced readers. It's a very time consuming subject because you have to write so many drafts just to scrape an E. I would only take it if you are prepared to spend ALOT of time on it. I'm already regretting taking it to be honest because it is just such a massive workload when you have 2 sciences and geography on top.
Geography's my favourite so far because i'm finding that its got the smallest jump out of the subjects I picked. It's also really interesting especially the discussions about conflict and population change. So far I'm finding that it works really well with bio and chem because you develop the same skills and bits overlap.

English Lit is probably the one that I'm struggling with the most at the moment. I got an A at GCSE and I honestly think I got a U in the little mini assessment we did last week. It heavily relies on context and essay structure and the actual books you study are alot bigger and for advanced readers. It's a very time consuming subject because you have to write so many drafts just to scrape an E. I would only take it if you are prepared to spend ALOT of time on it. I'm already regretting taking it to be honest because it is just such a massive workload when you have 2 sciences and geography on top.

Thank you so much for such an informative reply! :smile:
I enjoy geography too, in fact my GCSE coursework has started now. I get A*'s in mocks and things too. Geography and ICT are by far my fav subjects at school, however I am going to have to chose between the two.
I achieved an A* in Eng Lit GCSE, but I don't think I could do it further for AS or A2.
Is there a large difference between geography and geology? although I think that geography will be more interesting, geology would be easier?...
does AS/A2 geography involve coursework too?
Thank you so much for such an informative reply! :smile:
I enjoy geography too, in fact my GCSE coursework has started now. I get A*'s in mocks and things too. Geography and ICT are by far my fav subjects at school, however I am going to have to chose between the two.
I achieved an A* in Eng Lit GCSE, but I don't think I could do it further for AS or A2.
Is there a large difference between geography and geology? although I think that geography will be more interesting, geology would be easier?...
does AS/A2 geography involve coursework too?

I have no idea what Geology is like as my school doesn't offer it but I think it's based mainly on physical geography instead of a combination of human and physical. I would do Geography because I think it's slightly more respected than Geology. As for coursework I think it depends on what board you to it on. I'm on AQA and have been told that I have 2 exams and a 'practical skills' paper instead of coursework.

I strongly recommend you only take subjects your interested in and that you enjoy! I love Geography, Chemistry and Biology but at the moment i'm regretting taking English Lit, and I know I'm going to get a lower grade in it than in my other subjects because i'm not really that interested in it and I know I put more time into my other subjects because its more fun!
I have no idea what Geology is like as my school doesn't offer it but I think it's based mainly on physical geography instead of a combination of human and physical. I would do Geography because I think it's slightly more respected than Geology. As for coursework I think it depends on what board you to it on. I'm on AQA and have been told that I have 2 exams and a 'practical skills' paper instead of coursework.

I strongly recommend you only take subjects your interested in and that you enjoy! I love Geography, Chemistry and Biology but at the moment i'm regretting taking English Lit, and I know I'm going to get a lower grade in it than in my other subjects because i'm not really that interested in it and I know I put more time into my other subjects because its more fun!

What grade did you achieve at Geography, Bio and Chem GCSE?
What grade did you achieve at Geography, Bio and Chem GCSE?

I did Geography in year 10 and got a B

And I only did double science and got AA in both core and additional.
I did Geography in year 10 and got a B

And I only did double science and got AA in both core and additional.

Have you completed AS yet? If so, what grades did you get?
(edited 9 years ago)
Have you completed AS yet? If so, what grades did you get?

No sorry only had a few weeks of AS but I was originally predicted CCDE and now i'm predicted AAAC.
No sorry only had a few weeks of AS but I was originally predicted CCDE and now i'm predicted AAAC.

Oh, ok.
May I ask, how did your predicted grades change so rapidly over the course of just a few weeks!?
Oh, ok.
May I ask, how did your predicted grades change so rapidly over the course of just a few weeks!?

I revised alot and we did mini probation tests and I scored really high and interacted in lessons alot more than I did lower down the school, so they raised them.

Quick Reply

Latest