The Student Room Group

Not Vegetarian Foods- what you don't expect

Hi,

I've not so long ago become a vegetarian but i've found it so shocking the immense amount of foods that aren't suitable for vegetarians.

it would be nice if people could post on here things they have found that are not suitable or suitable and that would be great.

What i've found is not suitable

>Most Squares bars. There is a new one with a Yellow packaging that is suitable though so make sure you check the packaging.
>Foxes Party Rings- I've heard that there are some on the shelves that are now suitable but i've failed to find them
>Haribo and most other sweets- I've brought the Veggie Percy Pigs from Marks and Spencer's recently.
>Walkers Crisps- I'm only talking about the new ones such as Pulled Pork etc. My friend did come in the other day with Pepperoni crisps that were suitable.
>Some hard cheeses.

Though I really like- (suitable products)
>Veggie Percy Pig sweets
>The one type of Sqaures bars that are suitable
>Freddo Frogs

I hope everyone can help each other or give advice on this thread :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by SophhFrog
Hi,

I've not so long ago become a vegetarian but i've found it so shocking the immense amount of foods that aren't suitable for vegetarians.

it would be nice if people could post on here things they have found that are not suitable or suitable and that would be great.

What i've found is not suitable

>Most Squares bars. There is a new one with a Yellow packaging that is suitable though so make sure you check the packaging.
>Foxes Party Rings- I've heard that there are some on the shelves that are now suitable but i've failed to find them
>Haribo and most other sweets- I've brought the Veggie Percy Pigs from Marks and Spencer's recently.
>Walkers Crisps- I'm only talking about the new ones such as Pulled Pork etc. My friend did come in the other day with Pepperoni crisps that were suitable.
>Some hard cheeses.

Though I really like- (suitable products)
>Veggie Percy Pig sweets
>The one type of Sqaures bars that are suitable
>Freddo Frogs

I hope everyone can help each other or give advice on this thread :smile:

A lot of alcohol isn't vegetarian either
I found it rather odd that the Hot Dog crisps by Walkers are suitable for vegatarian. How can they be, when it's meat flavour?
It's annoying that all walkers were veggie then they sneakily changed them :O I dread the day when they decide to put prawns in prawn cocktail flavour!

Other things I have found are most foods with red food colouring like cake icing aren't vegetarian as they have cochineal in (E120) which is bugs or something >.< I just don't drink alcohol :L it's just too hard to find out if it's veggie.

Mars products are now veggie which is awesome, also most fizzy is except Lilt.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
What's in alcohol that isn't vegetarian?

First, a lot of cheese isn't vegetarian because it contains animal rennet. Unless it has a V label assume it isn't.
Parmesan isn't - this could be useful to know at restaurants, because lots of 'vegetarian' pasta dishes are sprinkled with parmesan cheese.
Laughing Cow Cheese is also not suitable. I think Dairylea is fine as an alternative.
HuffPo has quite a large list of cheeses to avoid.

Sweet Stuff: The main problem is that these things contain gelatin.
All
Haribo-type sweets unless they say vegetarian. Generally, the harder the consistency the more likely it is to be veggie - the softer ones like Gummi Bears tend to contain gelatin.
Chocolate Mousse (beef/pork gelatin)
Jelly
Marshmallows
Most 'fizzy laces' are safe to eat.

I don't go to McDonald's, but I've heard McFlurries are not always vegetarian and even the 'veggie burgers' weren't! Can anyone confirm this? Also make sure to check what chips are fried in.
Reply 5
Original post by Redbird.

First, a lot of cheese isn't vegetarian because it contains animal rennet. Unless it has a V label assume it isn't.
Parmesan isn't - this could be useful to know at restaurants, because lots of 'vegetarian' pasta dishes are sprinkled with parmesan cheese.
Laughing Cow Cheese is also not suitable. I think Dairylea is fine as an alternative.

All
Haribo-type sweets unless they say vegetarian. Generally, the harder the consistency the more likely it is to be veggie - the softer ones like Gummi Bears tend to contain gelatin.
Jelly
Marshmallows

I don't go to McDonald's, but I've heard McFlurries are not always vegetarian and even the 'veggie burgers' weren't! Can anyone confirm this? Also make sure to check what chips are fried in.

I'm not sure about the alcohol front, but i'm guessing that some things have products such as Whey that are from animal origin but I can't be totally sure on that at all.

Chocolate mousse really surprised me. Sometimes I find it easier to go for yoghurts that are alpro cause they are vegan friendly?

Is there actually any Marshmellows that are safe to eat. I go to Subway normally and avoid Mcdonalds. I know it's not the same but they make their sandwiches to your taste and right infront of you so you can be sure of what is put in. It's the same for me when my family wants to go and get some chips from a fish and chip shop.

Does anyone still get stick for it? My dad ALWAYS when he gets out meat goes hmm and looks at me and says things like isn't it nice that we have to share it between three of us and not four because you don't eat it anymore. It is my choice and I could eat it if i wanted but i don't.
Reply 6
Original post by beingawallflower
It's annoying that all walkers were veggie then they sneakily changed them :O I dread the day when they decide to put prawns in prawn cocktail flavour!

Other things I have found are most foods with red food colouring like cake icing aren't vegetarian as they have cochineal in (E120) which is bugs or something >.< I just don't drink alcohol :L it's just too hard to find out if it's veggie.

Mars products are now veggie which is awesome, also most fizzy is except Lilt.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It is so confusing- even some chocolate. I'm not sure which isn't vegetarian so I stick to Ready Salted Walkers and Freddos.
I've also seen on a packet of Fox's party rings that I have in the cupboard that they are not suitable for vegetarians because of the gelatin but when I go on websites such as tesco they say they are vegetarian and it is the small snack ones that are not?

Can anybody clear up Nutella for me?

I agree with the cake icing thing. We have Mr Kipling French Fancies and Angel slices which I now can't eat but I can eat the lemon slices. I had no idea before I came vegetarian that so many things contained products derived from animals.
Reply 7
Original post by OU Student
I found it rather odd that the Hot Dog crisps by Walkers are suitable for vegatarian. How can they be, when it's meat flavour?

I have no idea. The new ones that they've brought out the Pulled Pork ones are not suitable and I first think what do they contain that makes them unsuitable?
You might find this thread helpful. :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Sabertooth
You might find this thread helpful. :smile:

Thanks so much. The only reason why I created a new thread was that it is more recent. Some products recently such as Mars Chocolate Bars have changed their recipe etc.

Does anybody know about toblerone ? I will check it out
Original post by Redbird.

All
Jelly
Marshmallows

Mcdonalds chips are veggie society approved, but the burgers aren't

i read somewhere ages ago that tropicana orange juice contains fish oil.. Not entirely sure its true though
Reply 11
This should help people know about drinks which i found from the Coca Cola website. : However, vegans and vegetarians should note that a few of our drinks contain small traces of fish gelatine, which is used as a stabiliser for the beta-carotene colour. These products are Lilt, Lilt Zero, Kia-Ora Orange Squash No Added Sugar and Schweppes Orange Squash. Five Alive Apple Five Fruit Blend also contains traces of gelatine.
Reply 12
Original post by tillytots
Mcdonalds chips are veggie society approved, but the burgers aren't

i read somewhere ages ago that tropicana orange juice contains fish oil.. Not entirely sure its true though

It baffles me why they feel the need to put gelatine and animal oils in some products. I've had to get some alternatives to alot of products :/
Solution: Stop being a pussy and eat meat. Then you won't have this problem.
Reply 14
Original post by Genocidal
Solution: Stop being a pussy and eat meat. Then you won't have this problem.

That's really not helpful though. People are entitiled to not eat it if they don't want to and we are trying to support each other. I used to eat meat and alongside a family of meat eaters, I made the choice not to.
It is so confusing- even some chocolate. I'm not sure which isn't vegetarian so I stick to Ready Salted Walkers and Freddos.
I've also seen on a packet of Fox's party rings that I have in the cupboard that they are not suitable for vegetarians because of the gelatin but when I go on websites such as tesco they say they are vegetarian and it is the small snack ones that are not?

Can anybody clear up Nutella for me?

I agree with the cake icing thing. We have Mr Kipling French Fancies and Angel slices which I now can't eat but I can eat the lemon slices. I had no idea before I came vegetarian that so many things contained products derived from animals.

I remember reading that Nutella is - I'm sure it was either the jar or website, I eat it

Posted from TSR Mobile
That's really not helpful though. People are entitiled to not eat it if they don't want to and we are trying to support each other. I used to eat meat and alongside a family of meat eaters, I made the choice not to.

Yes erghhhh people -.- it's a choice like people make a choice to be religious

Posted from TSR Mobile

You'll soon learn to ignore people like that, they're just trying to be edgy :smile:

I personally don't eat red meat or dairy, while its not the same thing I know, but I feel your pain. I recently found out my favourite crisps (pickled onion monster munch) contain dairy (lactose). Real tears were shed that day :'(
Reply 18
Original post by beingawallflower
Yes erghhhh people -.- it's a choice like people make a choice to be religious

Posted from TSR Mobile

Finally someone who understands. I live with 3 of my family members and they say things like ohhh look at this like I want to eat it but i've choosen not to and they all eat meat.
I hate how people try to make me eat meat by saying comments. Actually it's alot harder to give up meat but you're really not missing anything and putting animals first. Meat eaters try to make me eat meat and all animal products but I don't go around telling everyone to become a vegetarian.
Reply 19
Original post by brownbearxo
You'll soon learn to ignore people like that, they're just trying to be edgy :smile:

I personally don't eat red meat or dairy, while its not the same thing I know, but I feel your pain. I recently found out my favourite crisps (pickled onion monster munch) contain dairy (lactose). Real tears were shed that day :'(

Bless you. I've found though you get used to alternatives. I used to eat a great deal of sweets and now I don't and I'm a little healthier for that. I also have brought Percy Pigs from marks and Spencers. I'm on my last packet and I live about 20 miles away from the nearest store that sells them. I don't mind that it isn't the same thing cause you're doing what you're happy with. You are making a difference though by what you're doing. You can be vegan or eat all types of meat if you want- It doesn't matter to me as long as you make the informed choice and let everyone make theres :smile:
Thanks for being lovely and I hope you find something you like just as much.

Quick Reply

Latest