The Student Room Group

Can I get good grades with these predicted grades?

I'm taking AS Geography, Biology, Chemistry and English Literature. I've just been given my predicted grades and they are DCCE, However I want AAAB or higher at AS, Is it possible and what are the best ways to boost my grades for these subjects? Any opinions and advice would really be appreciated!
Original post by amelimoo
I'm taking AS Geography, Biology, Chemistry and English Literature. I've just been given my predicted grades and they are DCCE, However I want AAAB or higher at AS, Is it possible and what are the best ways to boost my grades for these subjects? Any opinions and advice would really be appreciated!

Predicted grades for AS are very difficult for teachers to work out and are often completely rubbish. I have friends who were predicted CCDD and achieved AABB or similar - it's much more about how hard you work than anything else.

The best ways to boost your grades are through plenty of revision and working well in lessons. I took Biology and Chemistry, and the key with Biology is to start revising early. There's an awful lot to learn, so as soon as you're taught it make revision resources in preparation. Keep revisiting what you've already been taught to ensure that you still remember it and don't have to teach it to yourself again when it comes to revision. With Chemistry, past paper questions are your friends. Start practising early, because the hardest part of Chemistry isn't learning the stuff, it's applying that knowlegde when answering bizarrely-worded questions.

One has to question why you were given those predicted grades but yes, it is definitely possible to beat them. I know plenty of people who beat their predicted grades by two grades.
Reply 3
Original post by Chlorophile
One has to question why you were given those predicted grades but yes, it is definitely possible to beat them. I know plenty of people who beat their predicted grades by two grades.

I think I was given them because my grades in KS2 SATS were really low, as well as my grades in KS3 and apparently they use Fisher Family Trust data to predict them. At GCSE I was only predicted B's and C's because of this but managed to get 5A's and 4B's.

Thanks!!
Reply 4
Original post by LeFailFish
Predicted grades for AS are very difficult for teachers to work out and are often completely rubbish. I have friends who were predicted CCDD and achieved AABB or similar - it's much more about how hard you work than anything else.

The best ways to boost your grades are through plenty of revision and working well in lessons. I took Biology and Chemistry, and the key with Biology is to start revising early. There's an awful lot to learn, so as soon as you're taught it make revision resources in preparation. Keep revisiting what you've already been taught to ensure that you still remember it and don't have to teach it to yourself again when it comes to revision. With Chemistry, past paper questions are your friends. Start practising early, because the hardest part of Chemistry isn't learning the stuff, it's applying that knowlegde when answering bizarrely-worded questions.

Okay Thank You!!!!
forget about the predicted grades at the moment, just put your hard work in and have loads of motivation towards all of your subjects. evenly distribute the time you have to each of the subjects you do in order to pass with flying colours which I am sure you will.
yeah predicted grades are kinda stupid and are basically just complete rubbish. I was predicted DCC and got ABB.
Reply 7
Original post by maryamzahid
forget about the predicted grades at the moment, just put your hard work in and have loads of motivation towards all of your subjects. evenly distribute the time you have to each of the subjects you do in order to pass with flying colours which I am sure you will.

Awh okay thanks!!! :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by crayolaguy
yeah predicted grades are kinda stupid and are basically just complete rubbish. I was predicted DCC and got ABB.

Wow! Okay Thanks!!
Reply 9
i was predicted BCCC and got AAAB so like everyone is saying, they really don't mean too much :smile:
I think I was given them because my grades in KS2 SATS were really low, as well as my grades in KS3 and apparently they use Fisher Family Trust data to predict them. At GCSE I was only predicted B's and C's because of this but managed to get 5A's and 4B's.

Thanks!!

They still use your SATs data?! That's an awfully long time.

If you need to resit, don't resit with the aim of getting one grade higher (unless you got an A initially) - aim for the highest grade you can - it'll make your life so much easier :wink: Start working from now maybe? I'm going to try and learn all the content by Christmas (Yes, it'll be very hard) and then work on revision and exam practice till exam season >D
Reply 11
Original post by Blues Clues
They still use your SATs data?! That's an awfully long time.

If you need to resit, don't resit with the aim of getting one grade higher (unless you got an A initially) - aim for the highest grade you can - it'll make your life so much easier :wink: Start working from now maybe? I'm going to try and learn all the content by Christmas (Yes, it'll be very hard) and then work on revision and exam practice till exam season >D

Yeah it's really frustrating! And okay I will and Thanks!!!

Predicted grades at the start of Year 12 mean nothing. They are based on GCSEs. A-levels are a new, harder start and you've basically hit the ground running so there's no time for slacking.

You get out what you put in so you need to have the mentality of wanting to prove them wrong and actually getting the highest grades possible :smile:

you really should take your predicted grades and really forget about them. As you've written you've got a goal you want to achieve so i don't know why you couldn't do it. Don't know if its the same at your school but our predicted grades were done from the average of our GCSE grades which i think is silly.

As long as you work hard, get to grips with the content (doing the notes the night you have the lesson and then reading over it at the weekend is good way I have recently found how to do it (unfortunately a tad late for my A levels ) as when it gets closer to the exams, with them now all being in june, you already know a good chunk of the content so you can concentrate on the exam papers, but everyone is different, other ways are; mind maps, typing it up, flash cards...)then you will have nothing to worry about :smile:

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest