The Student Room Group

Am I being undermined?

So, here's the main story

For my GCSEs, which I will be taking this and next year, I have chosen French as my language. It is my best subject, and I consider my self fluent, but, looking online, I had to take it due to my ambition to study it alongside Latin in University.

Anyway, the class that I have been placed in is made up of people from different levels. That doesn't bother me. However, as a result, I am being given REALLY easy work..

Here's what I mean:

The girl that I sit next to (we'll call her J), has taken French, but does the classic mistake of saying 'je habits', instead of 'j'habite'. This means I'm always helping her. Because this is he level most people in the class are at, the first topic we're doing...

Is the alphabet.

So I want to know your thoughts. I'm apparently in the top set, but how do I get work at my level. The teacher has already tried setting us a GCSE test, which was our first lesson, and we had to do as much as we could. I got B that time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Original post by TeenPolyglot
So, here's the main story

For my GCSEs, which I will be taking this and next year, I have chosen French as my language. It is my best subject, and I consider my self fluent, but, looking online, I had to take it due to my ambition to study it alongside Latin in University.

Anyway, the class that I have been placed in is made up of people from different levels. That doesn't bother me. However, as a result, I am being given REALLY easy work..

Here's what I mean:

The girl that I sit next to (we'll call her J), has taken French, but does the classic mistake of saying 'je habits', instead of 'j'habite'. This means I'm always helping her. Because this is he level most people in the class are at, the first topic we're doing...

Is the alphabet.

So I want to know your thoughts. I'm apparently in the top set, but how do I get work at my level. The teacher has already tried setting us a GCSE test, which was our first lesson, and we had to do as much as we could. I got B that time.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Can you not ask your teacher for more challenging work? Or ask for A-level test papers?
Reply 2
You're fluent. Doubt you'll find anything challenging. Just slack off, should be an easy A*?
I would say go along with it in class but ask your teacher for higher level work(make sure to explain that you find this too easy). But, personally , i would say to wait for a few weeks untill you ask since most of the time like my school they cover all the ks3 basic first then go to higher levels to ensure everyone know the basic fully. You mentioned you got a B in a french test? was that in a past higher tier? :smile:
Original post by Chelsea12345
I would say go along with it in class but ask your teacher for higher level work(make sure to explain that you find this too easy). But, personally , i would say to wait for a few weeks untill you ask since most of the time like my school they cover all the ks3 basic first then go to higher levels to ensure everyone know the basic fully. You mentioned you got a B in a french test? was that in a past higher tier? :smile:

Yes, Chelsea, it was part of the higher tier. I forgot about the fact we've only just started the course, so I'll wait a few weeks and then I'll ask what I can do. For now, though, I've been helping everyone else, so hopefully that might be how to do my French GCSE :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes, Chelsea, it was part of the higher tier. I forgot about the fact we've only just started the course, so I'll wait a few weeks and then I'll ask what I can do. For now, though, I've been helping everyone else, so hopefully that might be how to do my French GCSE :P

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow, a B in a french tier already? you'll be acing the actual end of year exams. :smile: would recommend looking through the french specification, it kinda gives you all the necesary vocab to learn .
Original post by Chelsea12345
Wow, a B in a french tier already? you'll be acing the actual end of year exams. :smile: would recommend looking through the french specification, it kinda gives you all the necesary vocab to learn .

I've done that :smile: I have asked the teacher, and she said she noticed my abilities, and is talking to the head of French about whether I could take my GCSE French early and then join the A-Level classes haha :')

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've done that :smile: I have asked the teacher, and she said she noticed my abilities, and is talking to the head of French about whether I could take my GCSE French early and then join the A-Level classes haha :')

Posted from TSR Mobile

oooooh. congrats and good luck.:smile:
An update on what's happened...
I asked my teacher and now the sets are into higher and lower. So happy! Merci pour votre aide, tout le monde!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest