The Student Room Group

Freshers on crutches

Can it be done? Pretty sure I broke my foot last night by going over on my ankle so I'm off to a and e in a few hours and my foots in bits, massive swelling and bruising can't put any weight on it or even put it straight.

I've been so excited to start university and move into halls and have a great time and I'm gutted because this could ruin everything I've never seen anyone in a club on crutches but could it be done? Could I still go out and have a great time at freshers even if I'm on crutches with a broken foot?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes it can!

If anyone asks, you broke it doing something hilarious whilst drunk.
Reply 2
I'm imagining I'll constantly be in the way and would a club not refuse me entry? And I was drunk, but I'm afraid I was walking that's all haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
bump. anyone help?

update - been hospital, I have broke my foot, cast & crutches for Freshers!
Go for it. People will talk to you and ask you what happened. Use this as an opportunity to get laid bro
Sorry, but going to a club on crutches is utterly stupid. Everywhere has loads of stairs and you'll inevitably get people trying to take the crutches off you. Plus as clubs are so cramped, you're bound to get someone knocking into/stepping on your cast and risk doing further damage. Would you even be able to use them properly if you're drunk?

I broke my leg and was in a cast for an entire term, I was so tempted to go out. My closest friend from uni was really encouraging it and offered to keep an eye on me, but at the time she was the sort of person who'd go off and get with people. So I knew that i'd just be ruining her night, and I doubt i'd have enjoyed myself either.

You can still go to the pub, go out for meals, go round peoples houses or even just sit in the kitchen and talk to people. Obviously you can still go to your lectures as well. It's not like you'll be a social outcast!
Reply 6
Stairs are a big problem I know that but I'm sure I'll work it out, I'll obviously watch my drinking and also won't be in the crowd will find a seat or somewhere less busy to stand, I'm 6,2 and would like to think people won't be that immature to steal my crutches I know I won't be an outcast but I will of missed out on maybe one of the best weeks of my life, I know my flat mates already so I'm sure they will look out for me and if it gets to much I'll leave, will never really forgive myself if I don't at least try it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
I've seen and known people to do it in our uni clubs. So it can be done.
I don't think it's a smart idea - when I was on crutches I didn't, and even after I stopped using them and went, I ended up hurting myself more or having to sit on a sofa most of the night because I couldn't handle it. Just think it's a recipe for disaster. As above, lots of steps, wet floors and alcohol will not be good - unless you'd like to hurt yourself more potentially. Your health is a lot more important in the long run, and hurting yourself when you're already injured can lead to much worse things.
But I'm sure only you can tell. Also, other people are stupid. I had some idiot girl knock my crutch when she was drunk, causing em to fall over & pain. There's only so much you can do yourself.
Reply 8
Original post by Inazuma
But I'm sure only you can tell. Also, other people are stupid. I had some idiot girl knock my crutch when she was drunk, causing em to fall over & pain. There's only so much you can do yourself.

One of my mate's went to a club on crutches during RAG week and got suitably drunk (using the bombproof logic that the crutches actually made him more stable and hence less likely to further injure himself).

He ended up swiping one of the crutches at some guy to try to get him to move out of the way. The guy promptly turned around, socked him, and broke his nose.

In short, not something I would recommend doing myself.
Reply 9
It's hard enough to stay on your feet after knocking back a few, let alone on bloody crutches! I have seen people do it though, I've even see people in wheelchairs in clubs before.
Hey - i've had the exact same thoughts since breaking my ankle 2 weeks ago!

But as others have said - it really isn't the best idea... the logistics of getting there / back are a pain, the slippy floors, the stairs.. oh and remember that you can't use crutches over long periods / distances!

I've decided to keep my SU tickets, and may go to a couple of events there, but will be very sensible about it... oh and i've joined a facebook group dedicated to other freshers who won't be getting wasted day in / day out - so we'll arrange some "quieter" socials.. in pubs, flat gatherings, and i think someone's suggested Games Against Humanity?!

Good luck - and just remember, chances are that there will be a LOT more drunken socials to enjoy once you're fixed! the majority of clubs will hold at least one themed night / student night a week... so you really won't be missing out much!
Reply 11
I've gone and broken my fibula on wednesday and also facing the prospect of freshers on crutches :frown:
that will be great bants man, you can pretend your crutch is a machine gun and gun down all your mates for a showstopping dance move :biggrin:
Once went out in cast and crutches and pulled a guy with an almost identical injury. Just take it slow and be one of the first to go home!

Posted from TSR Mobile
The clubs will still be there when your cast comes off and it may take longer to come off if you do more damage in a club, There will be quite a lot of students who won't be in clubs every night and they still have a good time meeting new people.
You should be ok to do what you want, even going to clubs. One of my friends is an amputee and his prosthetic leg broke earlier this year leaving him completely on crutches for three weeks. He still did everything the same and didn’t cancel on any plans of going out. Just be careful and never take your crutches off so they don’t get stolen.
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending