The Student Room Group

Help needed!

Okay long story super short; I was doing my A levels from abroad, got sick and came to England to stay with my family to receive treatment. <---SHORT!

I've decided to give my exams privately here, can't enrol at a college since I'm 21 :s-smilie: and its a bit late to do an access course. So yh, A levels it is.

The thing is I'm confused between the boards, there's AQA, Edexcel and OCR. I was doing A levels from the CIE board and my subjects are Physics, Chem and maths. Which one of these boards does not require any course work for the above mentioned subjects? I'm okay with practicals as they are pretty much mandatory hehe...And does anyone know which of the board is similar to CIE syllabus? What would be the best? One of my friend was saying AQA is would be the best option for me, but their practicals are assessed at schools, something about internal assessment? I still dont know what that means....

I'm going to contact these boards as well, but ANY HELP is appreciated. Thanks :smile:
Reply 1
I think they all have internal practical assessments for physics and chemistry. I'd steer clear of OCR Salters - as that contains a large project element for chemistry, which is good but not particularly doable in your situation.

Basically, for the practicals, normal students do them in a class and sit a paper that accompanies it (where you put your results, and answer some questions) under exam conditions. It may be that you can do the exam at a nearby college/school when their students are doing it (and hence, you'd want to be under the same exam board they teach to), but i'm not entirely sure about the way these things come about.

Maths I suspect you can do with whatever - I did it on AQA, 100% exam-based.
Reply 2
I think they all have internal practical assessments for physics and chemistry.

Basically, for the practicals, normal students do them in a class and sit a paper that accompanies it (where you put your results, and answer some questions) under exam conditions.

^This is how the internal practical assessment is held? Cause from where I'm from the practical exam is conducted in the same examination room where you have to give theory papers, on another date of course but the same exam centre. Also we only have one practical for AS instead of two like with the AQA board. So does that mean that I would have to arrange both these practical assessments at a college who allows private students to do them?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Seh...E
So does that mean that I would have to arrange both these practical assessments at a college who allows private students to do them?

You will need to conduct practical assessments at a registered centre. They may charge a couple of hundred pounds for this. Generally, you'll carry out your practical assessment at the same place you're registered to take your final exams.
Reply 4
Original post by loperdoper
You will need to conduct practical assessments at a registered centre. They may charge a couple of hundred pounds for this. Generally, you'll carry out your practical assessment at the same place you're registered to take your final exams.

Okay, Thanks for the info. About the maths exam, how did you find AQA? Did you have a look at the Edexcel course as well? And what about the books, which ones did you buy? Thanks for the help :smile:
Original post by Seh...E
Okay, Thanks for the info. About the maths exam, how did you find AQA? Did you have a look at the Edexcel course as well? And what about the books, which ones did you buy? Thanks for the help :smile:

I did OCR MEI, unfortunately (OCR MEI is known for being quite different to other exam boards too!)

For books, I only used the official textbook, but then I am in school.

Quick Reply

Latest