The Student Room Group

Help choosing a course at university

I am really finding it difficult to choose a degree to study, I am interested in loads of courses but cannot pick a final one. I was going to apply for politics but I am still not 100% sure that it is the right choice for me. I am currently studying my A2's in Psychology, Government and Politics and ICT and have already got an A-Level in English Literature which is a grade B. At AS I got an A for Psychology, A for Government and Politics and a B in ICT. I would really appreciate any course suggestions as I am really stuck now and need to start my uni application.
Thanks in advance
Christina :smile:
Reply 1
There are hundreds of courses for you to choose from at so many different unis, and each uni offers different modules that suggesting one particular course isn't likely to be very helpful.

Do you have any idea what uni you want to go to? The way I decided was to look at their website, and use the course finder. You can see all the courses they offer that are similar to what you might be considering. Often you will find joint honours or variations on degrees you've considered that really catch your attention, but you hadn't thought of previously.
Original post by christinamfd
I am really finding it difficult to choose a degree to study, I am interested in loads of courses but cannot pick a final one. I was going to apply for politics but I am still not 100% sure that it is the right choice for me. I am currently studying my A2's in Psychology, Government and Politics and ICT and have already got an A-Level in English Literature which is a grade B. At AS I got an A for Psychology, A for Government and Politics and a B in ICT. I would really appreciate any course suggestions as I am really stuck now and need to start my uni application.
Thanks in advance
Christina :smile:

This isn't going to answer your question, but how did you find AS ICT? Did you spend a lot of time on the subject?
how did you find it overall?
What about your results from GCSE and AS?
Reply 3
Original post by STUDYREVISE
This isn't going to answer your question, but how did you find AS ICT? Did you spend a lot of time on the subject?
how did you find it overall?
What about your results from GCSE and AS?

I really enjoyed AS ICT I spend a lot of time on the coursework as it was quite difficult, I was supposed to get an A overall but everyones marks were brought down on the coursework based on the sample that got sent off. I spent the least time out of all my subjects revising for the ICT exam which I got an A for and found the exam quite easy but the coursework was quite challenging in some areas. Overall I really enjoyed it. I mentioned my AS results in the first post and my GCSES are :

ICT= A*
English Literature and English Language = A
Maths = A
Core Science = A
History = A
Media = A
Additional Science = B
Catering = B
Reply 4
Original post by josh_v
There are hundreds of courses for you to choose from at so many different unis, and each uni offers different modules that suggesting one particular course isn't likely to be very helpful.

Do you have any idea what uni you want to go to? The way I decided was to look at their website, and use the course finder. You can see all the courses they offer that are similar to what you might be considering. Often you will find joint honours or variations on degrees you've considered that really catch your attention, but you hadn't thought of previously.

I am really unsure of what uni to go to I was thinking ones closer to home but apart from that no idea :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by christinamfd
I am really unsure of what uni to go to I was thinking ones closer to home but apart from that no idea :smile:

So no clue about which course or which uni? Maybe you might be better taking a year out until you decide? A year at uni is expensive, especially if you then decide after that its the wrong place or the wrong course.

Or maybe check out the Liberal Arts and Science course at Birmingham (I'm sure other unis do similar courses but I dont know where)
Reply 6
Original post by josh_v
So no clue about which course or which uni? Maybe you might be better taking a year out until you decide? A year at uni is expensive, especially if you then decide after that its the wrong place or the wrong course.

Or maybe check out the Liberal Arts and Science course at Birmingham (I'm sure other unis do similar courses but I dont know where)

Taking a year out to get some work experience to see what I enjoy and use that as a way of choosing a course is something I am considering more and more but I would like to go to university this year
Reply 7
Take Myers Briggs personality test and see the career section of your result.
I'm not saying this is accurate or anything, but for me what the test told me was surprisingly accurate and the career it suggested was something I was thinking of or something I had considered long time ago.

Worth a shot, I think it will be a good starting point.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest