The Student Room Group

Helping a mature student (23 yrs old) get into Dentistry for 2015

So we have applied for him to do a course at the university of Birkbeck. The course starts in October and its runs for a year. Its a HE program called Life Sciences for Subjects Allied to Medicine (Certificate in Higher Education): 1-year, part-time .

Can any mature student who is currently studying Dentistry tell me about their journey from beginning to where they are now.

Also i would love to know which Universities accept this qualification .

He is really passionate on doing dentistry and it's just really stressful at the moment because not many universities accept this qualification.

I did my research and found five universities that accept the course
- Cardiff
- Manchester
- Newcastle
- Liverpool
- Kings College

but i would love someone to tell me if they know anymore :smile:

Thank you very much if you contribute and help me .
Hi,

I am also 23 doing an access course to apply for dentistry 2015, be aware that most applicants will be required to sit the ukcat exam for applications for 2015. The closing date for this exam is very soon i think. Although there are some universities that don't require UKCAT, but with our choices limited to universities that accept access courses there aren't too many. Good luck
Reply 2
Ukcat testing has closed for this cycle. So you will have to choose universities that don't need the ukcat. king's definitely need it.

I'm 24 and applying for 2015 entry :smile:
Well I applied for dentistry back when I was 17 but due to the competitive nature of the applications and my general lack of understanding of how things worked back then I didn't get any offers.

I then went to to do Medical Biochemistry at Uni of Leicester from 2008-2011. After that I took a year out to build up experience and have things to write in my personal statement. Graduated with a 2:1 with honours.

Applied to Barts for 2012 entry and got accepted where I am now currently studying as a 3rd year student.
Reply 4
I'm 35 and currently a 2nd year BDS (via Access) student at Newcastle. Any questions, feel free to message me on here or via PM and I'll help if I can :smile:
Reply 5
Hi Tom

My husband is 34 and he has a strong fascination with studying dentistry. We both live in South Wales. He was not sure if he needed to do any A levels or HE course to get onto the course as he has no A levels. Is there anything you could suggest which may help him as he does not know where to start.
Thank you
Reply 6
Hi, I have a question... I'm currently a final year BA Hons Social Work student.. Due to personal things that have occured throughout my degree I am only due to obtain a 2.2.. If I get a 2.1 I will be amazed and this question will not be quite as revelent.

Basically, I'm looking at studying medicine, however I am looking at many options!
- Studying abroad
- Foundation courses//BSc Bioscience afterwards..
- Medipathways foundation course onto BCs Biomedical science then onto UK or Abroad.

I just do not know what universities in the UK will accept my social work degree alongside a foundation year regardless of if my foundation year is a distinction. Or if I go abroad, what financial help is there to me - I am a 23year year old.

Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest