The Student Room Group

University of Liverpool 2015 Medicine Applicants!! :)

Hi didn't see a 2015 entry post, so thought to make one!

So here is some general information about the entry requirements for the course hope you find it useful!

EDIT!!!: FACEBOOK PAGE https://www.facebook.com/groups/1419432968350036/

Academic Qualifications:

GCSEs in nine subjects attained by the end of Year 11 and
at least a score of 15 points (where A*/A = 2; B = 1) from the nine and including: Core & Additional Science (or Biology,
Chemistry, and Physics), English Language, and Mathematics (all at least grade B). Two points is the maximum score awarded
in each subject area. (e.g. Only one of Maths and Further Maths will be considered and 2 points at most will be available for
Dual Award GCSEs except for Dual Science for which up to 4 points may be awarded).
Short course GCSEs will at most receive half the points of a full GCSE but two short courses can be offered in place of a full
GCSE.

Preference will be given to applicants with a higher GCSE score.

Some qualifications which are not GCSEs may be awarded points as follows:

Level 2 DiDa: Dist/Merit = 2 points; Credit = 1 point
Level 2 CiDa: Dist/Merit = 1 point; Credit = 0.5 points
BTEC first Diplomas: Dist/Dist*= 2 points; Merit (or equivalent) = 1 point
OCR awards/BTEC First certificates: Dist/Dist* = 1 point; Merit (or equivalent) = 0.5

BTEC qualifications and OCR awards are not acceptable replacements for English, Maths and Science subjects.

Alevel requirements:

AAA(b) to include Biology and Chemistry. General studies can be used as an AS grade.

NO UKCAT Required!

Non-Academic requirement:

No formal work experience required

Personal Statement:

Candidates must demonstrate suitable evidence of:
health care career awareness/insight and
a caring contribution to the local community and
a critical, coherent, and informative approach to written communication

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSmaSQfy-bI (video)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_7b90mpCgs (video)
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Apparently this is one of the most competitive medical schools?! UKCAT went well for me fortunately but I still really like the idea of Liverpool as a city and the uni too. Their course also seems to have a good teaching style for me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Thanks for doing the thread btw, surprised it has t been put up sooner

Posted from TSR Mobile
How much weighting is the ps

Posted from TSR Mobile
Applying here but a bit worried about having 17 points seen as the majority of candidates have 18
Reply 5
I only have 15 points but I have my achieved A Levels of A*A*AA. Really not sure whether its worth applying :/
Reply 6
Original post by Jimbob995
Applying here but a bit worried about having 17 points seen as the majority of candidates have 18

Apparently this is a bit of a myth, I'm also applying with 17/18, and I've also been thinking that if the majority of candidates are 18/18, why don't they just ask for all As and A* at GCSE for applicants? Their cut off point is 15 so they must still feel they get good candidates who have gotten 5A/A* and 3Bs in the past

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
The majority of candidates interviewed WILL unfortunately have 18/18. Like mentioned it is an extremely competitve medical school as it does not require the UKCAT. This means that they receive an awful lot of applications and have to be very strict about which candidates will progress to the next stage.
Original post by ja1
Apparently this is a bit of a myth, I'm also applying with 17/18, and I've also been thinking that if the majority of candidates are 18/18, why don't they just ask for all As and A* at GCSE for applicants? Their cut off point is 15 so they must still feel they get good candidates who have gotten 5A/A* and 3Bs in the past

Posted from TSR Mobile

if your ukcat wasnt terrible then dont apply, you really need 18/18 to be competitive. i got 17/18 and im avoiding lancaster and liverpool.
What about having A*AAb at Alevel already and 17/18 surely that would make you as competitive as an 18/18 with predicted grades?
Reply 10
"Absolute BS. Historically, statistics suggest 16+ (but mainly 17+ for comfortability) will get you an interview if other factors are right i.e. PS.'"

This is what someone said on the L'pool 2014 entry thread.. Having conflicting thoughts again.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ja1
"Absolute BS. Historically, statistics suggest 16+ (but mainly 17+ for comfortability) will get you an interview if other factors are right i.e. PS.'"

This is what someone said on the L'pool 2014 entry thread.. Having conflicting thoughts again.

Posted from TSR Mobile

what was your ukcat? cause why risk it?
Reply 12
Original post by Jaska
what was your ukcat? cause why risk it?

760..the reason I'm applying is more a 'heart over head' decision, I simply like the city and university as well as the medicine course teaching style. My GCSEs aren't good enough for Cardiff and Nottingham(Nottingham want 6A*?), while Birmingham want A* at Eng Lang.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by ja1
760..the reason I'm applying is more a 'heart over head' decision, I simply like the city and university as well as the medicine course teaching style. My GCSEs aren't good enough for Cardiff and Nottingham(Nottingham want 6A*?), while Birmingham want A* at Eng Lang.

Posted from TSR Mobile

With a UKCAT like that you should be looking at applying to your strengths. You'd stand a good chance at Newcastle, Durham, Hull-York, Southampton, Exeter, Edinburgh
Reply 14
Original post by 2018
With a UKCAT like that you should be looking at applying to your strengths. You'd stand a good chance at Newcastle, Durham, Hull-York, Southampton, Exeter, Edinburgh

I am applying for Newcastle and have visited Edinburgh. I'm not going to lie the only reason I haven't considered Southampton and Exeter is distance. I was maybe thinking that my other 3 choices (Manc, Leicester and Newcastle) would be slightly 'safer' bets and Liverpool would be a more 'risky' option?

I may just ring their admissions office in the next few days and see what they say.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by ja1
I am applying for Newcastle and have visited Edinburgh. I'm not going to lie the only reason I haven't considered Southampton and Exeter is distance. I was maybe thinking that my other 3 choices (Manc, Leicester and Newcastle) would be slightly 'safer' bets and Liverpool would be a more 'risky' option?

I may just ring their admissions office in the next few days and see what they say.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes just give then a ring to check. You should check out HYMS though as you would score highly on their scoring system. Don't worry about distance-if your going to be a doctor who cares :wink: Southampton would love your Ukcat. Are you sure Nottingham isn't an option? Also Sheffield?
Reply 16
Does anyone know if Liverpool look at your AS results when selecting for interview?
Reply 17
Original post by 2018
Yes just give then a ring to check. You should check out HYMS though as you would score highly on their scoring system. Don't worry about distance-if your going to be a doctor who cares :wink: Southampton would love your Ukcat. Are you sure Nottingham isn't an option? Also Sheffield?

Yeah Nottingham give preference to 6A*s at GCSE(I have 5) while Sheffield don't care about UKCAT that much so that was when I dismissed as it doesn't suit my applicant strengths (I think they have a cut off of around 650 but once you go over that UKCAT is only used again in borderline cases after interview.

I haven't really thought about HYMS (just forgot about tbh) while Southampton seems like a nice place but like I said the distance thing..still I'll research both along with Liverpool.

Thanks for the advice!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi my stats are

GCSEs: 10A*s 2As
AS: AAABB (biology, chemistry, german, maths, further maths)
A2: predicted A*AA

I'm retaking 2 maths modules to get my Bs in maths and further maths up to As (need 90ums+ to do so)

ukcat 650 + decent personal statement

do you think its worth applying?
What is the earliest date they send out offers?

Quick Reply

Latest