The Student Room Group

Bought a car Monday, engine malfunction light is on :(

I bought a 55 plate Nissan Micra on Monday, had a mechanic friend of the family check it beforehand who approved of it. Seems in great condition, full service history but today the engine malfunction light came on, and now I'm really worried- all my savings has gone into that car :frown:

I just don't know what to think, I've looked into Micras, and the only major problem I've came across is stretched timing chains, but that was apparently fixed in the late 2004 models onwards. Can anyone offer any similar experiences/ insight? I feel horrible about this :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TolerantBeing
I bought a 55 plate Nissan Micra on Monday, had a mechanic friend of the family check it beforehand who approved of it. Seems in great condition, full service history but today the engine malfunction light came on, and now I'm really worried- all my savings has gone into that car :frown:

I just don't know what to think, I've looked into Micras, and the only major problem I've came across is stretched timing chains, but that was apparently fixed in the late 2004 models onwards. Can anyone offer any similar experiences/ insight? I feel horrible about this :frown:

Take it back to the garage straight away. The garage should sort it for you as you have only had it a few days. Most used car garages offer 2 or 3 months warranty when you buy a car.
I know all cars have problems, but it shouldnt have problems this soon after buying it.

Could be anything..........or even a faulty lamba sensor

The engine management light could mean anything. It might be a small job or a big job, but you will not know until you give it to someone to plug in and check the error message on their computer. You could try second guessing, but it does not help. However, as long as you know the steps that you took before the light came on, that will help with diagnosis. It happened to me recently on a Renault Scenic and I did not have a clue. Had diagnostics done (£32) and the mechanic was saying all sorts (another £70+ to check things out). However, I knew that my car was due a LPG service (separate from a standard engine service - £65) and after this the light cleared and the car works fine now.

So it might be a good idea to ask this mechanic friend and see if he can do the diagnostics for you or a mechanic that you trust.

Take it back to the garage you bought it from and tell them about the problem.

Also ask your mechanic friend to plug it into a diagnostic tool and check what is the reason that light is coming on. On most cars from that era it should leave a code as to the problem.
Original post by hessajee
The engine management light could mean anything. It might be a small job or a big job, but you will not know until you give it to someone to plug in and check the error message on their computer. You could try second guessing, but it does not help. However, as long as you know the steps that you took before the light came on, that will help with diagnosis. It happened to me recently on a Renault Scenic and I did not have a clue. Had diagnostics done (£32) and the mechanic was saying all sorts (another £70+ to check things out). However, I knew that my car was due a LPG service (separate from a standard engine service - £65) and after this the light cleared and the car works fine now.

So it might be a good idea to ask this mechanic friend and see if he can do the diagnostics for you or a mechanic that you trust.

Okay I will definitely get a diagnostic test done, hopefully on Monday. From what I can see, it's driving normally, I know it's hard to tell when you're in an unfamiliar car, but my mother has a micra and she thought it drove really well for her.

I know it's due for it's standard service now, but surely that wouldn't have anything to do with it?
Original post by Alfissti
Take it back to the garage you bought it from and tell them about the problem.

Also ask your mechanic friend to plug it into a diagnostic tool and check what is the reason that light is coming on. On most cars from that era it should leave a code as to the problem.

I didn't buy it from a garage, bought it from a private trade dealer :/
Original post by Iqbal007
Could be anything..........or even a faulty lamba sensor

Is that bad? :frown:
Is that bad? :frown:

Thats just one of the sensors, Polo's tend to have that problem, its just a faulty sensor which is common on a polo, just using it as an example that it could be just a dodgy sensor. You checked the engine oil, etc? Could be something basic.
Okay I will definitely get a diagnostic test done, hopefully on Monday. From what I can see, it's driving normally, I know it's hard to tell when you're in an unfamiliar car, but my mother has a micra and she thought it drove really well for her.

I know it's due for it's standard service now, but surely that wouldn't have anything to do with it?

That could be the issue but even if it's not, it's a good idea to get the service done if it's due. If you can get a free diagnostic test, then take it and make a note of the error code. Either the mechanic can explain it to you and/or you can do some research online and come to your own conclusions.
I didn't buy it from a garage, bought it from a private trade dealer :/

You can still bring it back to him as he isn't a private seller if he is a dealer.
Original post by Alfissti
You can still bring it back to him as he isn't a private seller if he is a dealer.

Do you think so? Even if it comes with no warranty? :frown:
Do you think so? Even if it comes with no warranty? :frown:

If he is selling cars for a living then he isn't a private seller.
Reply 13
wtf is a "private trade dealer"

It's either a private sale or it's a trade sale it can't be both!
Take a black marker pen and colour over the light xD
If the car has a warranty, take it back to dealer immediately.
Engine management light can come on for the smallest of things like a dirty sensor. I wouldn't worry too much about it. I'd take it to a garage to get the code checked out or buy a code reader for like £15.

If however it's a flashing EML then that's very bad. You'd notice if it's bad though.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by iEatMuFFiNS
Take a black marker pen and colour over the light xD

err no. just remove the bulb
Original post by Cool As Ice
err no. just remove the bulb

That sounds like a lot more work to me... my way takes like 5seconds
x

Did you manage to get the car sorted? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest