The Student Room Group

Decided to Defer and go do Access Course next year (2015)

I went to a progression day this last week and learned that the Access Course (Health and Health Care Science) I attempted to apply for was full - way oversubscribed. They were confident that all those that had already gone through each stage and enrolled, would turn up, so there were many more than me that were left disappointed.

I was offered a conditional place, but I decided to defer to next year and get a full year of healthcare experience behind me so that it will look much better on my UCAS application.

Has anyone else deferred their year for any particular reason, or did anyone defer last year and find that they benefitted from that decision?

I am a mature (very lol) student wishing to do midwifery which will now be 2016
Reply 1
I'm thinking of holding back for a year as I've chosen the wrong course. I'm on science access. Want to be on nursing. I'll find out tomorrow if I can change. Only done a week. If I can't change hopefully they will let me defer a year for nursing access. Do you have children ?
Reply 2
I'm thinking of deferring. Mainly because of stressing over childcare (two children aged 4 & 1). But I'll find out soon if the college will fund a nursery place. I'm not hopeful but we'll see. I also want to do midwifery and am currently enrolled on the access to health and social care course.
Original post by Mrs E
I'm thinking of deferring. Mainly because of stressing over childcare (two children aged 4 & 1). But I'll find out soon if the college will fund a nursery place. I'm not hopeful but we'll see. I also want to do midwifery and am currently enrolled on the access to health and social care course.

Have you started the course yet? Which Uni are you hoping to attend. I really do feel for you with your child care issues - that's the reason I didn't go for it when mine were younger. I ended up having a career in Project Management and Governance, Social Housing Sector/Local Government. When I was working, I couldn't afford to give up my job as I became the main salary earner. I've decided to do it now following an illness that saw me leaving my former job. I was devastated, but there has to be a reason for everything - right?

I decided this has all happened for a reason, and only started to make a move on doing it in July. I now can concentrate on some really relevant and useful volunteering experience so that I can put all of this on my personal statement. I also have to do the GCSE Maths and English because I cannot produce any evidence of my school qualifications - which were 27 years ago (OMG!), besides which, GCSE's were brought in the year after - i.e. we were the last year to do GCE's and CSE's... I have a level 5 and level 3 qualification already - but in Management/Business Management... as they are not relevant to the midwifery degree - they aren't counted, so have to do the Access course - so will now be doing it next year.

I'm happy with my decision. I had the interview this afternoon for the volunteering job and start training on Friday with the other successful volunteers. I'm really looking forward to it because it's in Perinatal Mental Health.

What is your experience - is it volunteering work or paid work? What did you do?
Reply 4
Original post by Princesstiggy
Have you started the course yet? Which Uni are you hoping to attend. I really do feel for you with your child care issues - that's the reason I didn't go for it when mine were younger. I ended up having a career in Project Management and Governance, Social Housing Sector/Local Government. When I was working, I couldn't afford to give up my job as I became the main salary earner. I've decided to do it now following an illness that saw me leaving my former job. I was devastated, but there has to be a reason for everything - right?

I decided this has all happened for a reason, and only started to make a move on doing it in July. I now can concentrate on some really relevant and useful volunteering experience so that I can put all of this on my personal statement. I also have to do the GCSE Maths and English because I cannot produce any evidence of my school qualifications - which were 27 years ago (OMG!), besides which, GCSE's were brought in the year after - i.e. we were the last year to do GCE's and CSE's... I have a level 5 and level 3 qualification already - but in Management/Business Management... as they are not relevant to the midwifery degree - they aren't counted, so have to do the Access course - so will now be doing it next year.

I'm happy with my decision. I had the interview this afternoon for the volunteering job and start training on Friday with the other successful volunteers. I'm really looking forward to it because it's in Perinatal Mental Health.

What is your experience - is it volunteering work or paid work? What did you do?

I have a degree in sociology but like u it's unrelated so I need to do the access course. I have my gcse's so I don't need to do those again thankfully. I worked with young people as a personal adviser for 6.5 years but was made redundant while pregnant with my daughter. I took a year off for maternity and then started working part time through an agency which I still do.

My course induction is today! I sent off my application for the 24+ advanced learning loan yesterday so I should hear back within 2 weeks and hopefully I'll know about child care by then too. So we'll see... I'm going to apply to BCU, Coventry and Wolverhampton- my most local universities. My UCAS personal statement is my next task!

Experience wise i have an interview with a local doula project for working with pregnant asylum seekers in October. I've also applied to my local trust for a placement within maternity/hospital. I currently work in a gp practice as a receptionist so I'm thinking to ask the midwife who runs her clinic there if I can observe her if I don't quit the job anytime soon!
Original post by Mrs E

Experience wise i have an interview with a local doula project for working with pregnant asylum seekers in October. I've also applied to my local trust for a placement within maternity/hospital. I currently work in a gp practice as a receptionist so I'm thinking to ask the midwife who runs her clinic there if I can observe her if I don't quit the job anytime soon!

Wow - that's great experience - and getting a placement in a maternity ward would be fabulous experience. I contacted my local hospital who informed me that I'd have to have at least 6 months experience of working on a ward before I could even volunteer to go on one. I did think about doing bank nursing but they have outsourced this service (bank hours) to an agency who is set up to specifically deal with NHS Bank hours - it's called NHS Professional. As far as I can make out, you register, put your qualifications in and opt for hours you are able to do - you must have to work for the hospital on the ward in question though - how else could it properly work otherwise?

Working with the pregnant AS will be good experience too - and having contacts in the surgery with the midwife will be a great way to get experience. Good luck with everything. Are you not enjoying the job - just from what you said about if you don't quit the job!!!???

Good luck with the Personal Statement too - I think this is what makes the difference between candidates isn't it. I'm dreading that part because I usually have loads to say lol... You have to avoid mentioning the course don't you (If I haven't misunderstood the concept), and avoid mentioning the Uni because your ONE statement has to cover everything you apply for. Well, you're gonna have some great experience to put in it, if everything comes off for you. GOOD LUCK with your interview... let us know how you get on... ps is working in a doctors surgery as a receptionist not an ideal job then?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending