The Student Room Group

Is Geology a science?

Is it?

Scroll to see replies

I'd say so. It has elements of the three main sciences in it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Edminzodo

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know.

Is it rated?
In terms of content, yes. In terms of what it's classed as by the universities, probably not- if they say you need two 'sciences' they usually seem to mean out of physics, chemistry, biology and maths :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by furryface12
In terms of content, yes. In terms of what it's classed as by the universities, probably not- if they say you need two 'sciences' they usually seem to mean out of physics, chemistry, biology and maths :smile:

Degrees in Geology accept Geology as a science
Petroleum engineering (Manchester) accept it as a science and loads of Uni degrees...
Original post by Les Les
Petroleum engineering (Manchester) accept it as a science and loads of Uni degrees...

Maybe they do then! I've just never seen it for the courses I've looked at, but then geology has been much less relevant to them- mainly things like physics, pharmacy, general engineering etc.
Reply 6
Original post by furryface12
Maybe they do then! I've just never seen it for the courses I've looked at, but then geology has been much less relevant to them- mainly things like physics, pharmacy, general engineering etc.

It's because geology is a very specific subject but it's quite hard. Take a look at some of the past papers :/
Topics like Biostratigraphic and Lithostratigraphi correlation which you'd never come across
Original post by Les Les
It's because geology is a very specific subject but it's quite hard. Take a look at some of the past papers :/
Topics like Biostratigraphic and Lithostratigraphi correlation which you'd never come across

I will at some point! I've never really looked at it that much, it wasn't something offered by my school or any others I looked at and I had enough I wanted to take as it was! :redface:
Wikipedia, the best friend of an internet user, say so: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geology

it is a trustful internet portal, so it must be true.
Original post by Les Les

You, again, Jaikyo or however you spell it. I've answered this question for you countless times. Geology is not a science because it is made up of bits of the pure sciences of maths, physics, chemistry and biology, and not a pure science it its own right. It is not a science subject; some universities like Manchester for very specific degrees like geology will accept it in place of a science, but it is not an actual science subject at A-level.

It is not 'rated' as science subject by Cambridge's acceptable list: https://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/index.php?pageid=604 and it is not classed as a faciliating subject on the Russell Group list like the actual sciences are: http://www.russellgroup.org/InformedChoices-latest.pdf
(edited 9 years ago)
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Les Les
who lol?, and ok boi

See my edited post about the subject lists. Of course it's you; you come on here from time to time with different usernames banging on about petroleum engineering at Manchester and whether other universities think geology is a science, because your college won't let you take any actual science A-levels.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by Pectorac
You, again, Jaikyo or however you spell it. I've answered this question for you countless times. Geology is not a science because it is made up of bits of the pure sciences of maths, physics, chemistry and biology, and not a pure science it its own right. It is not a science subject; some universities like Manchester for very specific degrees like geology will accept it in place of a science, but it is not an actual science subject at A-level.

It is not 'rated' as science subject by Cambridge's acceptable list: https://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/index.php?pageid=604 and it is not classed as a faciliating subject on the Russell Group list like the actual sciences are: http://www.russellgroup.org/InformedChoices-latest.pdf

Lol every science comprises of other sciences, chemistry and physics, physics and maths, biology and chemistry. Your definition is appalling.
Original post by Les Les
Lol every science comprises of other sciences, chemistry and physics, physics and maths, biology and chemistry. Your definition is appalling.

So why isn't geology listed here? This is Cambridge's definition of a science subject.

LIST A1
Generally Suitable Science A-levels

Biology
Chemistry
Mathematics
Further Mathematics
Physics

https://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/index.php?pageid=604
Reply 14
So why isn't geology listed here?

LIST A1
Generally Suitable Science A-levels

Biology
Chemistry
Mathematics
Further Mathematics
Physics

https://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/index.php?pageid=604

My question isn't regarding Universities. I get the impression you lack basic comprehension skills.
Original post by Les Les
My question isn't regarding Universities. I get the impression you lack basic comprehension skills.

Your question is about universities; you've posted this in the A-level forum and earlier in the thread you were taking about the University of Manchester accepting it for an engineering degree. It's always the same with you; you didn't take additional science GCSE, nowhere will let you take A-level physics, you come on here to try to get reassurance that A-level geology is classed as a science subject (which it is not), and you tell yourself that you're going to get rich by studying petroleum engineering and it doesn't matter you haven't studied physics to A-level because geology wipes that problem away (which it doesn't).
Original post by Edminzodo

Plus it is handled as a science. Investigation and analysis are two things which are used in other sciences too.
Reply 17
Your question is about universities; you've posted this in the A-level forum and earlier in the thread you were taking about the University of Manchester accepting it for an engineering degree. It's always the same with you; you didn't take additional science GCSE, nowhere will let you take A-level physics, you come on here to try to get reassurance that A-level geology is classed as a science subject (which it is not), and you tell yourself that you're going to get rich by studying petroleum engineering and it doesn't matter you haven't studied physics to A-level because geology wipes that problem away (which it doesn't).

I'm doing maths, further maths, geology and physics. All 4 of my subjects are scientifically based and I posted it in the A-Level forum as there wasn't any other specific subforum to put it in. Note I also didn't put it in a university thread
Reply 18

Also reassuring as I'll have to drop one at A2.
Original post by Les Les
I'm doing maths, further maths, geology and physics. All 4 of my subjects are scientifically based and I posted it in the A-Level forum as there wasn't any other specific subforum to put it in. Note I also didn't put it in a university thread

No you're not doing physics; you're tryng to kid yourself and that it will all be okay in the end, which it won't:

RE: Are my AS subjects sufficient for a Petroleum Engineering Degree?

Maths
Further Maths
Geology
French

Implying I get 4 As at AS

www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2735528

Quick Reply

Latest