The Student Room Group

The Official Scottish Primary Teaching (PGDE) Thread - 2015 Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MossJasmine
Hiya! I have an interview at Glasgow on the 28th Jan! I see quite a few people have had interviews at Glasgow and some even got offers! Congratulations!! This is going to be my first interview so I'm quite nervous! How was your experience on the written task and the group discussion? Any help would be much appreciated!! Thank you :smile:

Hey I had my interview at Glasgow in December, I was soo nervous about it but they made you feel so relaxed once you arrived. The course leader told us what questions we would be getting in our interviews during his course presentation, however I got asked completely different ones when it came to my interview which threw me a little. From what I can remember they were : how does your degree relate to teaching? From your experience in school tell me about an organised and effective lesson you observed? she also asked me about my views on religion in education. I can't remember my other questions but they were specific to my experience with children. In the written task there were options on the paper, but we were told to answer the question about what school we would like to teach in. The group discussion went better than expected too, very relaxed as long as you contribute a few answers, listen to others and don't come across as too over bearing you will be fine!
I received an offer and have accepted, good luck to you!!
Original post by vclark10
Hey I had my interview at Glasgow in December, I was soo nervous about it but they made you feel so relaxed once you arrived. The course leader told us what questions we would be getting in our interviews during his course presentation, however I got asked completely different ones when it came to my interview which threw me a little. From what I can remember they were : how does your degree relate to teaching? From your experience in school tell me about an organised and effective lesson you observed? she also asked me about my views on religion in education. I can't remember my other questions but they were specific to my experience with children. In the written task there were options on the paper, but we were told to answer the question about what school we would like to teach in. The group discussion went better than expected too, very relaxed as long as you contribute a few answers, listen to others and don't come across as too over bearing you will be fine!
I received an offer and have accepted, good luck to you!!

That is so helpful! thank you and congrats on getting in!! :smile: one more day to go for me... :eek:
I got an unsuccessful from Strathclyde yesterday:frown: Am gutted as desperately wanted a place. Still not heard from UWS or Glasgow either.
Hi all
In submitted my PGDE application on the 13th of December to 5 Scottish universities, and I still haven't heard anything back yet. I know its a bit soon considering my submission date, but are Scottish PGDE applicants already having their interviews, and potentially offers, made by this date? I'm becoming rather worried now
Bordercollies - yes interviews happened in December, this month, next month too. Try not to worry too much as hopefully we will still hear back. They have until March I think to consider. I know many who have not heard back from Edinburgh, UWS (me), Glasgow (me), Strathclyde and Dundee. When I was at Strathclyde last week they mentioned that they were interviewing 700 but I think the may have sent out interview appointments already. The waiting is torture I know.
So sorry to hear that Rumpel :frown: I had my Strathclyde interview yesterday and not feeling very optimistic about it :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Budgieboo - makes you wonder what they are looking for? I am thinking maybe I didn't sell myself enough IYKWIM? If they had taken the time to read my application they would have seen that I have years of experience and didn't feel the need to gush or blow my own trumpet! Oh well oneards and upwards. Why don't you think it went well? I read on the TES website that loads of people get rejected on 1st apps to Strathclyde. I do hope you get good news. Am praying that I hear good news from Glasgow and UWS this week.
Reply 247
Rumpel24- I also got an unsuccessful from strathclyde yesterday after friday's interview :frown: Don't worry about hearing back, they mentioned at UWS yesterday that they are interviewing into March, and there were a good few no-shows at my interview so hopefully this means they will be giving more people a chance. I also haven't heard back from Edinburgh yet but know someone said they were giving out interview dates this week and they should be on the 6th and 25th of Feb!
Got an interview for Glasgow on 18th! So relieved to have heard something at last. I'm looking forward to it!
Reply 249
Hi Lucy,

It was fine! There was a presentation at the start and you were split into groups, the woman was really nice. It was groups of about 6 or 7 and you each did your presentation which went ok. The individual interview lasted about 10/15 mins, questions were:

Why do you want to be a primary teacher?
What skills do you think you'd bring to teaching?
Describe an inspirational learning experience you've had.
What subjects do you think you'd be good at teacher and less confident with, and how would you overcome this?

That is all I can remember haha! I had a lady called Carol McEachan she was really nice although doesn't smile much so don't worry if she doesn't seem super cheery haha good luck!
Rhona - it is a bit random at Strathclyde no? Thanks for the positive advice everyone - feel much better knowing that people are still being contacted regarding interviews. Really desperate for a place this year as I am getting long in the tooth LOL. Will keep checking my emails like an person suffering from OCD then!
I received an interview offer for Glasgow yesterday too! So relieved :smile: Not heard back from my other 4 choices yet though.. all this waiting about is stressful haha!
Reply 252
Hi All,
I didn't know about this website - or this helpful thread of advice and tips till now. Had found the UCAS sight not too straight forward. Which i am now clearer on since reading through some of your comments.
I wonder if any of you know if they do any late applications? Thanks for any help.
Reply 253
Congratulations to everyone who's received interviews for Glasgow and good luck!!!

Has anyyyyone heard anything back from Edinburgh??? The wait is killing me!!
Anisa a lady on the PGDE facebook group just phoned up Edinburgh and they said that they have received more than double the amount of applicants of last year- 1500! Apparently they are going to be offering interviews in the next week or so, fingers crossed we get one! X

Original post by anisa.anwar
Congratulations to everyone who's received interviews for Glasgow and good luck!!!

Has anyyyyone heard anything back from Edinburgh??? The wait is killing me!!
Anyone interviewed at Strathclyde yesterday heard anything yet? Restless already but they did say some people could find out today!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BudgieBoo
Anyone interviewed at Strathclyde yesterday heard anything yet? Restless already but they did say some people could find out today!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I had an interview at Strathclyde on Friday and am feeling more and more anxious about the wait! I just want to know now. How did your interview go? I was surprised at how quick mine was, or maybe I just spoke too fast :smile:
It was very strange, I felt like I gave some good answers but the man interviewing seemed a bit bored from the start! I'd be crazily excited if I got a place, but I'm not sure whether it went well enough. Like you, I felt like I spoke really really quickly and it was over before I knew it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi everyone. Thanks so much for the info on this it's been really helpful! I applied on the 7th January and haven't heard anything back yet from any of the 5 unis. Slightly anxious hearing that they received more than twice the number of applications as last year! I was just wondering whether anyone who applied this late has heard back yet? Worried strathclyde have organised all their interview dates already! Good luck to everyone who has interviews and congrats to those offered places already!
Reply 259
Rebecca - I applied just before New Year and I haven't heard anything. I've only applied for Edinburgh, though... Hopefully we start hearing soon! I'd rather just know either way now...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending