The Student Room Group

The Official Scottish Primary Teaching (PGDE) Thread - 2015 Applicants

Hi everyone! I'm applying to do the PGDE at a Scottish university to start in 2015 so I thought we could start a thread to support each other through the application process :smile:

Who else is applying and where to? Does anyone know which Scottish uni is considered the best one to go to for the PGDE or are they all equally regarded by employers?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SaphireBlue
Hi everyone! I'm applying to do the PGDE at a Scottish university to start in 2015 so I thought we could start a thread to support each other through the application process :smile:

Who else is applying and where to? Does anyone know which Scottish uni is considered the best one to go to for the PGDE or are they all equally regarded by employers?

Hi! I'm looking to apply to Edinburgh Uni for the 2015 cohort! I'm currently going into my third year at University of Birmingham and am on track for a 2:1 BA (Hons).

Have you managed to get any experience under your belt yet? I think I'm the only one who hasn't managed that yet, although I have some lined up from October onwards.
Reply 2
Hi! I'm applying for Edinburgh too! (As well as Glasgow and Strathclyde). I'm trying to figure out which one is considered the 'best' - if any.

I have some work experience but it's from about 6 years ago (a week in a school and helping out once a week with a play group) so I'm organising another week in a school so that I have something more up to date. What do you have planned to get more experience?
Reply 3
Hi,

Im applying too for the PGDE primary at strathclyde, edinburgh and the university of the west of scotland.

Have u guys started the application process yet? as I can see the choices arent available yet and UCAS says it wont be until OCT/NOV

However strathclyde admissions department say it opened on the 1st of sept??

Confused.com
Reply 4
Hi,
I'm also struggling to find any information about application to the 2015/16 intake. Taguey I had noticed that on Strathclyde too.
It had previously said on the ucas website that information would be available in September, which now states that application will be open 'at the end of October'. It's annoyingly vague as that's possibly only 5-6 weeks away, but the application process for this years 2014/15 course is still officially open until mid October.

Does anyone else have any more positive information?
Reply 5
Hey,

So its open as of today. You have to apply through UCAS undergraduate button and pick the PGDE courses in the course selection. Seems like they have simplified it from the old gttr system woopee!

If u need any help let me know
Reply 6
Yeah cheers I'm onto it now. It's a bit different from previous years using the same application as the undergraduate. 5 choices and only a single reference. It's a more sensible process of application than last years seemed to be anyway!
Hi! I'm applying for Edinburgh too! (As well as Glasgow and Strathclyde). I'm trying to figure out which one is considered the 'best' - if any.

I have some work experience but it's from about 6 years ago (a week in a school and helping out once a week with a play group) so I'm organising another week in a school so that I have something more up to date. What do you have planned to get more experience?

Hiya, thats great! I do have some from previous years, which also includes a two week project at an SEN school where I got 94%, but as for now I only have the October experience lined up. Unfortunately I only have one day off in the week, so I will be submitting my application late, just to get at 14 days of experience in. :frown:

Just wondering, do you personally think that you have enough experience? I mean 14 days worth is a lot less compared to what others have. Although I do think that its what you make of those 14 days and how much you elaborate on that experience in your interview. This is what I keep convincing myself. Hope I'm right. :smile:
Reply 8
Hi I'm looking to apply for 2015 and have been confused until now on the application dates and process. Have now seen we can apply under the undergraduate option so does this mean we too can make 5 choices?

As far as references are concerned how many do we need to get now and who should you ask to be your referee?
Reply 9
Original post by Jill3000
Hi I'm looking to apply for 2015 and have been confused until now on the application dates and process. Have now seen we can apply under the undergraduate option so does this mean we too can make 5 choices?

As far as references are concerned how many do we need to get now and who should you ask to be your referee?

Hi,
I got my application sent off today after having phoned UCAS to confirm both of the things you've mentioned as well as a few others.
With this years application being processed as UCAS undergraduate, we do now have five choices and only require a single reference. It's up to you who it is... old teacher/ tutor/ manager or colleague etc.
The downside, however, is that whereas in previous years applying specifically through GTTR, there is now nothing in addition to the 4000 character personal statement. (There had previously been space for an additional 1600 characters to talk about relevant experience.)

I hope this helps and good luck with your application.
Reply 10
Original post by CraigHpd
Hi,
I got my application sent off today after having phoned UCAS to confirm both of the things you've mentioned as well as a few others.
With this years application being processed as UCAS undergraduate, we do now have five choices and only require a single reference. It's up to you who it is... old teacher/ tutor/ manager or colleague etc.
The downside, however, is that whereas in previous years applying specifically through GTTR, there is now nothing in addition to the 4000 character personal statement. (There had previously been space for an additional 1600 characters to talk about relevant experience.)

I hope this helps and good luck with your application.

Thanks Craig, that's really helpful. I wonder why they put it in undergrad? It seems a weird way to do things... What unis did you apply to? Anyone got tips for the personal statement?
Reply 11
Thanks Craig, that's really helpful. I wonder why they put it in undergrad? It seems a weird way to do things... What unis did you apply to? Anyone got tips for the personal statement?

Be concise.
You're going to have to leave out an awful lot that you have to say. 4000 characters isn't a lot of writing whatsoever. It's only about an A4 page in 12pt type.
Reply 12
Hiya guys! I am applying to do primary PGDE at Glasgow, Strath Clyde, Dundee and West Scotland, ( currently at Durham). Does anyone know what we are supposed to do if we want to apply to English PGCE as well, I wanted Newcastle as a fifth option. Also do you know when the deadline closes, it is all very confusing!
Reply 13
Original post by Emmsy92
Hiya guys! I am applying to do primary PGDE at Glasgow, Strath Clyde, Dundee and West Scotland, ( currently at Durham). Does anyone know what we are supposed to do if we want to apply to English PGCE as well, I wanted Newcastle as a fifth option. Also do you know when the deadline closes, it is all very confusing!

Application to English PGCE courses is done seperately through UCAS Teacher Training and is open from late October I was told. The deadline for Scottish applicants is the 15th of January, up until which point each person will be under equal consideration. So I'm assuming interviews will still be being held after that date.
Reply 14
Hi all,

I'm applying for PGDE Primary at Glasgow, UWS and Strathclyde. Nice to meet some other people who are applying too! I'm planning on gaining some experience by working 1 day per week in a school and hopefully volunteering at some kind of group such as Brownies/Rainbows etc. How are you gaining your experience? Has anyone been through the process before?

Thanks! :smile:
Reply 15
Hey I'm applying to Strathclyde, Glasgow, UWS Ed and Dundee. I hope I get in to Strathclyde as I've heard that is the best institution for primary? I've just done day 4 of some primary school experience and loved it! Does anyone know if it is 10 days experience or is it 14 ? Any tips on writing the personal statement? struggling!
Reply 16
Original post by vclark10
Hey I'm applying to Strathclyde, Glasgow, UWS Ed and Dundee. I hope I get in to Strathclyde as I've heard that is the best institution for primary? I've just done day 4 of some primary school experience and loved it! Does anyone know if it is 10 days experience or is it 14 ? Any tips on writing the personal statement? struggling!

I think it is at least 14 days experience! I'm not sure how up to date that has to be though. I did some work in a school when I was in sixth year (now 6 years ago) so I don't think that would be relevant! Hoping to do two block weeks of work experience then one day a week in a school after that. Hope this helps!
Reply 17
Original post by vclark10

I assumed it was 2 academic weeks of classroom experience (so 10 days) because it just made more sense to me that they would ask for 2 school weeks instead of that plus an extra couple of days. I couldn't do 14 days anyway as I'm working full time and using up my last bit of annual leave to do this. Hopefully it will be enough!
Reply 18
Thanks guys! I think ten will have to do as I want to get my application sent off asap. Does anyone know if the earlier you send in your application, the more chance you have of getting in to a course?
Reply 19
Does anyone know the deadline for applications?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending