The Student Room Group

Computer Science at Leicester University

Hi I'm an A2 student thinking of applying for computer science at Leicester, thing is i'm not really sure if they'll accept me. These are my GCSE and AS results, do you think I have a shot at getting a conditional offer? Don't really wanna waste my time if it's a pipe dream.
GCSE's: Economics, English Lit, English Language = B grade
Geography, French, Core Science, Additional Science, Maths = C grade

AS results: English Lit - A
Media - C
History - C

I know the universities site says you don't need an A level in Maths but I feel like I'd be at a massive disadvantage seeing as I don't have it, am I right in assuming this?
Original post by big_ghost
Hi I'm an A2 student thinking of applying for computer science at Leicester, thing is i'm not really sure if they'll accept me. These are my GCSE and AS results, do you think I have a shot at getting a conditional offer? Don't really wanna waste my time if it's a pipe dream.
GCSE's: Economics, English Lit, English Language = B grade
Geography, French, Core Science, Additional Science, Maths = C grade

AS results: English Lit - A
Media - C
History - C

I know the universities site says you don't need an A level in Maths but I feel like I'd be at a massive disadvantage seeing as I don't have it, am I right in assuming this?

Hey!

I went to the Leicester open day yesterday and spoke with a few members of the Computer Science department about my own aspirations to study there and also the application process. (Applying for 2015 entry)

The entry requirements for Computer Science at Leicester are ABB and your school or institution will likely predict you to achieve ABB at A-level considering you were only one grade lower and it's expected that people go up a grade. (Do you study any of the baccalaureate subjects?)

The entry requirements don't state that you need maths, which means that you won't be expected to have an A-level knowledge of mathematics. The first year of the degree will be primarily focused on bringing everyone up to the same level in the subject (Hence why many don't have previous programming knowledge).

Other than the grades, we're in the same boat about the maths.

If you feel like you can reach the conditions of their offer, which is likely the entry requirement of ABB then you shouldn't be disadvantaged and it would be worth applying if Computer Science is your interest. :smile:

Hope it helped!
Josh
(edited 9 years ago)
You need GCSE maths B grade

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending