The Student Room Group

Computer Science course requirements.

I'm going into my second year of college and im doing maths, physics and chemistry. I dropped computing after getting an AS in it. I've decided to apply for computer science at Bath, I know it sounds crazy since I dropped computing. However at the time of picking what to drop, dropping computing meant I could still apply for most courses and at this time I wasn't sure what I wanted to do at Uni. Now I'm worried that Uni's will see that I dropped computing and won't want me on their course, even if I get the 3 A's that Bath want. Do you think they will mind if I dropped computing, to the point that they won't accept me? Or will they be happy meeting the requirement and just see the AS as a bonus? Thanks in advance.
As long as you do well in your exams, you'll be fine. GCSEs / A-Levels etc are only to show the uni you are capable of learning the subject matter.
Original post by G.Burslem
I'm going into my second year of college and im doing maths, physics and chemistry. I dropped computing after getting an AS in it. I've decided to apply for computer science at Bath, I know it sounds crazy since I dropped computing. However at the time of picking what to drop, dropping computing meant I could still apply for most courses and at this time I wasn't sure what I wanted to do at Uni. Now I'm worried that Uni's will see that I dropped computing and won't want me on their course, even if I get the 3 A's that Bath want. Do you think they will mind if I dropped computing, to the point that they won't accept me? Or will they be happy meeting the requirement and just see the AS as a bonus? Thanks in advance.

Drop it and if asked why just say that you didn't like the course and felt that you could learn more about Computing on your own. (Self teaching using online resources and books).
You certainly don't need A2 computing to get into CompSci. Most people won't have it. It is much more important that you get an A in Maths to get into the top unis.
Reply 4
Original post by G.Burslem

Bath interview for CS, so, on the off-chance that they ask, just say that you didn't want to repeat the content of A2 Computing since it comes up within the first year of CS anyway. They're very informal interviews anyway so I doubt they would ask, as long as you can still demonstrate a good interest in it on your PS.
Original post by Damask-
Bath interview for CS, so, on the off-chance that they ask, just say that you didn't want to repeat the content of A2 Computing since it comes up within the first year of CS anyway. They're very informal interviews anyway so I doubt they would ask, as long as you can still demonstrate a good interest in it on your PS.

Hi, quick question...I got ABB in my AS Levels and have been predicted AAA (I was very close to the boundary in my two Bs, so I'll hopefully bring those up to As). Am I in a decent position to apply to Bath, Edinburgh or St Andrews? I was worried that my AS grades were a little sub-par and were an easy excuse to reject me.

I wasn't able to do a 4th AS as I moved school from one of the worst in my area and was only able to do 7 GCSEs, which made it impossible to meet the requirements to do a 4th AS - despite receiving almost straight A/A*s. This will be mentioned in my reference though, so they hopefully will understand.
Reply 6
Original post by Frank the Tankk
Hi, quick question...I got ABB in my AS Levels and have been predicted AAA (I was very close to the boundary in my two Bs, so I'll hopefully bring those up to As). Am I in a decent position to apply to Bath, Edinburgh or St Andrews? I was worried that my AS grades were a little sub-par and were an easy excuse to reject me.

I wasn't able to do a 4th AS as I moved school from one of the worst in my area and was only able to do 7 GCSEs, which made it impossible to meet the requirements to do a 4th AS - despite receiving almost straight A/A*s. This will be mentioned in my reference though, so they hopefully will understand.

What subjects did you do at AS? I should think you'd be absolutely fine with Bath but I didn't apply to the others or anything so I'm not sure.
Original post by Damask-
What subjects did you do at AS? I should think you'd be absolutely fine with Bath but I didn't apply to the others or anything so I'm not sure.

Maths (the A), physics and chemistry.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending