The Student Room Group

What do you think of the C grade?

Obviously a C is regarded as good by most schools, and anything less is (whilst not technically being a fail) inadequate. However, I think getting a C in any subject is way, way too easy for it to be deemed as good. I failed to sympathise for anyone at my school when they got lower than a C and were upset by it, because you don't need to have brains, you just need to do a bit of revision to acquire one. I managed to get a C in PE, despite doing no revision, absolutely hating it and having my practical coursework for it marked down by over 10 marks. This isn't meant to make me look smart, this is merely meant to highlight how easy it is, in any subject (even the ones you hate), for anyone, to get a C. So what do you think? Should the grade boundaries be moved up to make a C grade more respectable, or do you think they are fine where they are and I'm being too harsh?

Joel

Scroll to see replies

They've already made them more difficult in the last couple of years haven't they? Or they're supposed to be doing so
Yet another silly child who does not understsnd that GCSE is unique in spanning 2 NQF levels.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by zippyRN
Yet another silly child who does not understsnd that GCSE is unique in spanning 2 NQF levels.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It just so happens I do understand, and that's precisely the reason this aggravates me. I'm saying (although I'll admit I didn't mention NQF levels in my post) that a C doesn't deserve to be in level 2, unless the grade boundaries are moved up. Surely the fact that you draw the line between foundation papers and higher papers with the C grade illustrates that level 2 should start at a B grade rather than a C.
Yep silly child who doesn't understand why C is level 2.

Go and do a little research on the values of historic terminal qualifications England Wales.

Big tip = CSE gr.1

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't understand how people claim to have studied so hard in subjects like maths and fail to get a C.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by dinglebells
I don't understand how people claim to have studied so hard in subjects like maths and fail to get a C.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, neither do I.
Original post by zippyRN
Yep silly child who doesn't understand why C is level 2.

Go and do a little research on the values of historic terminal qualifications England Wales.

Big tip = CSE gr.1

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, I know, a CSE grade 1 can be interpreted to be equivalent to a modern GCSE C grade and CSE grades 2-5 can be interpreted to be equivalent to modern GCSE grades D-G, but that's completely irrelevant to this discussion - I don't care why a C was made a level 2 qualification. I do, however, believe it should be changed. You seem to be missing my point.
Original post by JoelTheJaffaCake
Yeah, neither do I.

Your username is awesome.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
C grade is considered a pass for most circumstances.
Getting a C is not 'good'. It's a positive in that you passed, but you've done the bare minimum to get the pass grade and that's nothing to celebrate tbh.
Original post by dinglebells

Posted from TSR Mobile

Because they find it difficult and struggle with the subject? No need to be ignorant.
Original post by JoelTheJaffaCake
Obviously a C is regarded as good by most schools, and anything less is (whilst not technically being a fail) inadequate. However, I think getting a C in any subject is way, way too easy for it to be deemed as good. I failed to sympathise for anyone at my school when they got lower than a C and were upset by it, because you don't need to have brains, you just need to do a bit of revision to acquire one. I managed to get a C in PE, despite doing no revision, absolutely hating it and having my practical coursework for it marked down by over 10 marks. This isn't meant to make me look smart, this is merely meant to highlight how easy it is, in any subject (even the ones you hate), for anyone, to get a C. So what do you think? Should the grade boundaries be moved up to make a C grade more respectable, or do you think they are fine where they are and I'm being too harsh?

Joel

"I failed to sympathise for anyone...who got lower than a C"

For crying out loud, that annoyed me a bit.

Not everyone needs, or even wants to get above a C in their subjects. A lot of vocational and University courses require people to have grades around the CCC mark - or even lower!

Some people may have to try extremely hard to get a C for example, so the fact that you didn't put in any effort the get a C, doesn't mean it'll be that simple for everybody.

You may be disappointed if you get a C grade, but somebody else may be over the moon and celebrating with it. It's not nice to look down on people.

The world wouldn't function properly if everyone got A*s in everything and became top surgeons, lawyers etc etc...

The world needs variety.
(edited 9 years ago)
Now look, not everyone is perfect on knowing how to revise perfect so they don't get A*s/As some people have bad memory in general so most forgets and just gets a C, SO WHAT some schools are actually bad in my school only 1 person got 1A* and only 36% of the school got 5 A*-C including English and Maths so why don't you stop complaining about it, the reason why people only get Cs is because the classes only TEACH us C grade things and I was 2nd TOP of the year science class. This year I'm doing IGCSE Triple Science at home and look at me now getting A*/As on subjects so it just shows what the school teaches you if what you get.
Original post by Alisa59
C grade is considered a pass for most circumstances.

Please return when you actually understand the issue, rather than regurgitating the incorrect information put out by the immature proto-sociopaths who make up a very vocal minority of TSR.

grades A*- G at GCSE are pass grades

A* to C are NQF Level 2

D to G are NQF level 1

therefore for progression to NQF levle 3 study you need A*-C .
Don't eat me alive but.... Personally, if I got a C in any of my subjects I would be very unhappy. It'd probably mean that I didn't work as hard as I should have. Even in Textiles which is a creative, creatives aren't my strong point but I would have done something 'wrong' to get C. I don't want to just 'pass'. :erm:

I know what I'm capable of and I want to fulfil that. I understand that if you've worked very hard for what you want, you should be VERY happy regardless. Set yourself targets in which you want to achieve. :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by infairverona
Getting a C is not 'good'. It's a positive in that you passed, but you've done the bare minimum to get the pass grade and that's nothing to celebrate tbh.

again another TSRian trotting out the incorrect lies put about by the vocal minority of proto-sociopaths.

the moment you actually have a degree or a job your GCSE grades become an irrelevance.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by zippyRN
again another TSRian trotting out the incorrect lies put about by the vocal minority of proto-sociopaths.

the monent you actually have a degree or a job your GCSE grades become an irrelevance.

Funny that, or are you just one of these average people who goes through life getting Cs being bitter that other people get higher grades? :rolleyes: I have a degree and a job, getting good GCSEs helps you get into a better uni for a start which is important for getting a good job. So yeah, as the foundation of your education, GCSEs are pretty important and I don't see why anyone would be proud or happy with getting the bottom pass grade. Why celebrate your mediocrity?
Original post by karmacrunch
Don't eat me alive but.... Personally, if I got a C in any of my subjects I would be very unhappy. It'd probably mean that I didn't work as hard as I should have. Even in Textiles which is a creative, creatives aren't my strong point but I would have done something 'wrong' to get C. I don't want to just 'pass'. :erm:

I know what I'm capable of and I want to fulfil that. I understand that if you've worked very hard for what you want, you should be VERY happy regardless. Set yourself targets in which you want to achieve. :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, I think what you're saying is completely fine and I actually agree with it myself. :smile:

I got a C on results day, I was disappointed I'm going to resist it!

But, it's just not right when other people look down on people for getting a certain grade that they class as ''bad''...

especially when a C grade is good enough to be classed as a good pass!
Original post by infairverona
Funny that, or are you just one of these average people who goes through life getting Cs being bitter that other people get higher grades? :rolleyes: I have a degree and a job, getting good GCSEs helps you get into a better uni for a start which is important for getting a good job. So yeah, as the foundation of your education, GCSEs are pretty important and I don't see why anyone would be proud or happy with getting the bottom pass grade. Why celebrate your mediocrity?

Thank you for confirming my suspicions about you and your need to pretend to be so superior .

As someone with a slew of GCSES 90% of which are A*-C , a selection of level 3 qualifications, a bachelors, degree, professional registration and a further level 6 qualification in education / training and assessing I don;t need to celebrate mediocrity but equally I don't see the need to write people off at 16 because they either struggle with concepts or were still a bit immature with regard to learning .

Quick Reply

Latest