The Student Room Group

Investment Banking Screening Stage

Hi TSR community,

I have a question regarding the minimum A level requirements to apply for IBD (FO). Would it be possible to take a new A level, having already graduated from University (with a first class honours), in order to make up the points? Secondly, if so, will HR just check the dates you took your exam and hence, deem it irrelevant? Thirdly, any advice on how to write this on your CV, should it be deemed acceptable?

Please only answer if you have knowledge in this area. Also, I do realise that there are other "ways to break into IBD" such as networking like a ninja however, I would really like a valid answer to my question.

Many thanks in advance,

f1
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
A lot of them ask for your "A-Levels on first sitting" purposely to get around applicants doing this.
Reply 2
Original post by Noble.
A lot of them ask for your "A-Levels on first sitting" purposely to get around applicants doing this.

Thanks for the reply. I guess what I'm attempting to understand is, what does it mean A-levels on first sitting? I've heard that this means you're not allowed to resit a particular A level however, if you take a NEW A level then that would count as a first sitting (in that subject). As you can see, I'm clearly confused and perhaps misinformed so any clarity would be appreciated.
No IB takes this topic that seriously tbh, and I can confirm that. HR relies on the auto filters and for interviews, the analyst, associate or VP is given your CV seconds before the interview. The "tell me about yourself" question is often asked because they haven't gone through your cv yet.
As long as you have the correct grade requirements they won't go in to check dates. No one's got time for that

Posted from TSR Mobile
What is the minimum A level requirements generally? Do they matter after you go to one of the 'desired Unis'?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by PrincePauper
No IB takes this topic that seriously tbh, and I can confirm that. HR relies on the auto filters and for interviews, the analyst, associate or VP is given your CV seconds before the interview. The "tell me about yourself" question is often asked because they haven't gone through your cv yet.
As long as you have the correct grade requirements they won't go in to check dates. No one's got time for that

Posted from TSR Mobile

That may all be very true; especially regarding the filters. Also, you're right, I can confirm that "they" are only given your CV a couple of seconds/minutes prior to an interview. Although you still need to be selected by "them" for an interview and by not having your A level grades listed on your CV could be flagged? However, I would like to know whether, if one is given an offer, they (background checks) will check the dates and depending on their policy, they may rescind the offer? If anyone has any additional insight, please feel free to share.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by f1 boss
That may all be very true; especially regarding the filters. Also, you're right, I can confirm that "they" are only given your CV a couple of seconds/minutes prior to an interview. Although you still need to be selected by "them" for an interview and by not having your A level grades listed on your CV could be flagged? However, I would like to know whether, if one is given an offer, they (background checks) will check the dates and depending on their policy, they may rescind the offer? If anyone has any additional insight, please feel free to share.

Background check companies haven't got the right to check and confirm your a levels as that is not public information (even though you sign the form) . Only your degree is. That's why they ask for certificates to confirm your a levels as they can't do any better than that. Different story for your degree as they call up your uni to confirm degree and dates.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by PrincePauper
Background check companies haven't got the right to check and confirm your a levels as that is not public information (even though you sign the form) . Only your degree is. That's why they ask for certificates to confirm your a levels as they can't do any better than that. Different story for your degree as they call up your uni to confirm degree and dates.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've heard otherwise. I believe they are allowed to and they do (they hire a company to do this) call the examining board or your school (can't remember which one it is) to confirm. This is on top of you showing them your certificates.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending