The Student Room Group

Need "Maths For IT Practitioners" - Help!

I went to see the University of Birmingham for details about their Computer Science MSci course, but I found out there that I would only be considered for an offer if I'd completed a course called Maths For IT Practitioners. (I'm a BTEC student)

Does anybody know where I can do this maths course? Preferably for 2014 but at the moment I just need to find a place I can do it at all!
Lol i was there myself yesterday and am concerned about the same thing. I did some research last night and if i cant do it at the college im studying at now im tempted to pay for a private tutor to do AS level maths on top of my games programming course at college. If i cant do that then im just going to do my course and apply anyway. They said that they prefer people that have done Object orientated programming as well as event driven and my course has both of those so i think if i get tipple D* as well as having done those modules and with a good personal statement perhaps they will overlook it. If not then i guess ill just have to look at another uni. I cant afford to wait a year and do the foundation course they offer.
Yeah I thought about private tuition too. Might not be the same as doing the Practitioners course, but if I still cover the same stuff then, hey, it's better than nothing

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
I've actually got a similar situation. I just started the extended diploma in IT and my college has decided to drop the unit this year, so I have had to come up with a report on why they should do it in our second year, I have sent it off to the lecturer and he is going to bring it up to the staff. The lecturer reckons there is a chance because the web design unit that's usually in second year has also been dropped so there is an available timeslot. I am also doing GCSE English and GCSE Maths. I am deciding on whether I should do a fast track A level in Maths in my second year as my college has recently began offering it, this could possibly be an option for yourselves. I want to go to Birmingham too, there is an open day coming up in October I may attend, what was it like there Trias?
Could somebody shed some light as to what this maths thing actually is? I can't find any details at all. Is it a course unit? Is it an entirely different course in its own right?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by cnova
what was it like there Trias?

I utterly loved it. I thought it was a fantastic campus. Totally self contained i fell in love with the place just a bit upset now about this maths thing, thinking i cant go. But yeah its still going to be my first choice. Really loved the place. The campus has everything, 3 banks, opticians, barbers, restaurants, bars, nice accommodation at mason. You can find the open day dates on their websites.

As for doing an AS level along side my current studies its a lot of work to do in one year. They do accept a maths AS level at grade B in place of maths for IT practitioners but yeah. That and triple D* is a lot of work for one year but not impossible.
Original post by Lanky MikStanky
Could somebody shed some light as to what this maths thing actually is? I can't find any details at all. Is it a course unit? Is it an entirely different course in its own right?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Its a module that should be in a BTEC computing course but its down to each college as to what modules they deliver in their BTEC and it would seem that ours don't deliver it. :/
Reply 7

It's a unit.

Original post by trias1995
I utterly loved it. I thought it was a fantastic campus. Totally self contained i fell in love with the place just a bit upset now about this maths thing, thinking i cant go. But yeah its still going to be my first choice. Really loved the place. The campus has everything, 3 banks, opticians, barbers, restaurants, bars, nice accommodation at mason. You can find the open day dates on their websites.

As for doing an AS level along side my current studies its a lot of work to do in one year. They do accept a maths AS level at grade B in place of maths for IT practitioners but yeah. That and triple D* is a lot of work for one year but not impossible.

I can't wait to go check out an open day. There have been a few people who got in with a D*DD and D*D*D not just D*D*D* on here.
(edited 9 years ago)
Well if it's just a unit I'll ask at my College tomorrow if there's any chance I can do it this year. If not, I'll find somewhere else. If I can't do that, I'll just go to Nottingham ^_^

Posted from TSR Mobile
Did you get to speak to your college today Lanky MikStanky? Do they offer it or have they offered any alternatives?
Yeah I spoke to my personal Tutor today and he said he'd look into it. He'll get back to me when he knows if someone could teach the unit to me which, "unfortunately", won't be until about just after Christmas. Doesn't bother me though so long as I get to do it at some point in the year

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah I spoke to my personal Tutor today and he said he'd look into it. He'll get back to me when he knows if someone could teach the unit to me which, "unfortunately", won't be until about just after Christmas. Doesn't bother me though so long as I get to do it at some point in the year

Posted from TSR Mobile

Awesome man well thats great news. Im in tomorrow so ill be asking mine then but the best of luck to you not just with getting that module but with the rest of your course and uni application :smile:
Reply 12
I just thought I would update, my class is now doing the Maths in second year, they all liked my report.
That's excellent too! If you guys are applying for September 2015, I guess I'll see you around :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending