The Student Room Group

re-taking GCSEs

Hey guys

ive decided to retake my GCSE's so i can continue onto A-LEVELS

my college is doing re-takes but the courses are full

ive found ligitmate online site which will let me -retake my gcses at £299 a gcse that includes materials and a personal tutor etc...but not exam fee's

i was talking to my friend and he told me this was a waste of money and id be better off contacting the exam ppl..booking the exam and learn myself

does any1 recommend doing this? or am i better off paying for the courses?

thank you :suith:
Reply 1
I would just self-study. Those online courses are more for people learning from scratch. You know what you need to know, and you have all your old work probably, so just book the exams through an independent centre and sit them yourself.
Reply 2
but arent they diffrent subjects every year?
Check on the exam board's website, but unless the specification has changed from this year, the material should be pretty much the same. The specifications are a good resource so you know exactly what you need to cover, then you can use your notes from school, textbooks and revision guides to learn it and sit for the exams as a private candidate. £300 per GCSE plus exam fees will work out very expensive.
The syllabus for GCSE maths in changing for next year's sitting, I think, or it could be the year after, you'll need to check. There won't be an intermediate tier anymore, so it's just higher or foundation now. So the content may vary a bit...
^I know that the maths is changing from this year. The last exams for the old maths were in June 2006. I think this is right, I don't think however that they have changed the course for the November re-sits so if you are doing maths then it may be worth your while re-sitting in november.
Reply 6
the last time i did my GCSEs in 2005 not 2006
Reply 7
Personally, I would self-study as what happens if in August when you get your GCSE re-sit marks back, and you have got D's & E's in them? Thats going to be a waste of a hell of a lot of money.
Also, are there no other colleges around where you live?
Here in Newcastle, there are like 4 I think. Also, this may sound a silly question - but have you considered actually going back to school and doing them?
Reply 8
i'm thinking about retaking chemistry and physics GCSES and i was wondering how i would go about doing tht? so u just call the college and book the exam for the summer?do u know if it's possible to do the exam in january?when do u think the deadline would be?thanxs
Reply 9
twinkle.twinkle
^I know that the maths is changing from this year. The last exams for the old maths were in June 2006. I think this is right, I don't think however that they have changed the course for the November re-sits so if you are doing maths then it may be worth your while re-sitting in november.

Foundation, Intermediate and Higher tiers will still be available for the March/June sittings afaik.
Reply 10
Is it possible to self study and take an exam for A level maths?

Because i got a math teacher who is my friend. He can help me if i take the same exam he is teaching the AS students.
Reply 11
Tibia
Is it possible to self study and take an exam for A level maths?

Because i got a math teacher who is my friend. He can help me if i take the same exam he is teaching the AS students.

You can enter AQA A-level Maths as a private canditate, however you will be limited as to the modules you can take. Unfortunately you cannot take any coursework modules as a private candiate, which in my opinion would make it a tad harder.

It will then only be a matter of finding a centre to take the exam at, which may incur a fee. I'm sure your Maths friend should be able to help you with that though :wink:.
Reply 12
leenick
You can enter AQA A-level Maths as a private canditate, however you will be limited as to the modules you can take. Unfortunately you cannot take any coursework modules as a private candiate, which in my opinion would make it a tad harder.

It will then only be a matter of finding a centre to take the exam at, which may incur a fee. I'm sure your Maths friend should be able to help you with that though :wink:.

He is teaching Edexcel. Do they do the same thing?
Reply 13
Edexcels really not my thing :frown:. I couldn't find any mention of private canditates within the Edexcel AS/A Maths specification. I guess its just something you'll have to ask him.

I would think it was unusual not to allow it though.

Latest

Trending

Trending