The Student Room Group

Polymer Reaction

Okay so if I was given Salicylic Acid and 3-hydropropanoic Acid and Salicylic Acid, is this how the polymer formed would look, see attachment. Oh and both acids react in equal quantities.

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1410695409.949964.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
The OH on one salicylic will esterify with the COOH on a 3-hydropropanoic acid, the OH on the other end of the 3-hydropropanoic acid would esterify with another COOH on a salicylic and so on, alternating between the two.

Its a form of copolymer.
Original post by Pigster
The OH on one salicylic will esterify with the COOH on a 3-hydropropanoic acid, the OH on the other end of the 3-hydropropanoic acid would esterify with another COOH on a salicylic and so on, alternating between the two.

Its a form of copolymer.

So is my answer correct or not?

Posted from TSR Mobile
No, what you've drawn is not actually a polymer, you've put brackets as if it is a repeat unit but not shown where the repeat units would join on.
You are right about the carboxylic acid and hydroxyl ends joining. Try doing it again but think about whwere another repeat unit could join if you did it slightly differently
Reply 7
Do a little research on copolymers.
Reply 8
Original post by Jimmy20002012
So is my answer correct or not?

Not correct.

Polymer needs to have bonds on both sides of the bracketed part, so that mers can connect - something like [-A-]n.

Quick Reply

Latest