The Student Room Group

If a stranger came up to you in the street & wanted a chat?

Poll

Would you stop for a chat?

Would you talk to them, they seem friendly, don't look scruffy & it's at daytime in a fairly safe area, you're not really busy either. Would you stop for a chat or not?

Scroll to see replies

No, I wouldn't.
They could be the kindest person on earth, but, unfortunately, I wouldn't know that. Sometimes you can't even trust a person who asks for directions because there's an accomplice who, in the meantime, tries to steal something from you (it may be rare, but not impossible).
It would be an awkward situation and I'd just feel uncomfortable, especially if I were on my own.
That's my view :smile:
Depends. If I had just bought a book and the person was like oh cool, I love that! And started a conversation about it, yeah I would.

If they came up to me with nothing interesting to say no
Reply 3
No.
It depends on what they want to talk about or how busy I would be at that time. I usually just try to seem friendly :smile:
Yeah I would if they didn't seem dodgy
How old are they? If they're around my age I'd be inclined to talk to them, yes. :tongue:
Yes. This happens to me on a fairly regular basis and I'll always chat, even to homeless people. Quite why anyone wouldn't is beyond me but most British people are pretty xenophobic. The UK has got to be the least friendly country in the Anglosphere.
It depends, but if I'm out walking the dog then absolutely everyone stops and speaks to me...

Posted from TSR Mobile
I probably wouldn't tbh. I'm always very wary of peoples intentions.
It depends if I'm going somewhere I wouldn't stop but if I was waiting for a bus, or for my mother/father to pick me up then I would chat for a while :smile:

if they were around the same age as me mind
Hell yeah I love a chat, as long as it's not 3am down a dark alley and I wasn't busy I'd stop
I wouldn't usually but I've found where I live, people tend to do this all the time. Sometimes I literally can't get away from them so I have to stand there and talk to them. It has happened a few times to me and I just give them basic responses until they leave :tongue: I wouldn't say I'm a person that likes to talk to strangers...
Original post by CaptainDudeson
Yes. This happens to me on a fairly regular basis and I'll always chat, even to homeless people. Quite why anyone wouldn't is beyond me but most British people are pretty xenophobic. The UK has got to be the least friendly country in the Anglosphere.

What does this thread have anything to do with xenophobia?

Xenophobia is the fear/dislike of foreigners and no where did OP say foreign people starting the chat?
Original post by AdamCee
What does this thread have anything to do with xenophobia?

Xenophobia is the fear/dislike of foreigners and no where did OP say foreign people starting the chat?

And strangers. Educate yourself.
And strangers. Educate yourself.

So because I don't like talking to random people I'm xenophobic? I'm not afraid of them I just cba with it.
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
So because I don't like talking to random people I'm xenophobic? I'm not afraid of them I just cba with it.

No. You're just unfriendly.
I probably would providing I wasn't busy and they seem interesting enough, where I live people often stop for a brief chat or even just say something as they walk past you even if they've never seen you before. But I'd probably be a bit guarded, it's a shame but you do get some real nasty people about so you always have to be cautious around strangers.
Yeah! Yesterday my sister and I were shopping and we saw some people who looked like they were Amish or something. I got so excited so I ran over to where they were just so I could be near them. :ahee: My sister came over and we were talking about hair clips or something stupid and then one of the women joined in on the conversation and started speaking to me! :gah:

I love strangers. They always start conversations with me on the most random things so I'm used to talking to them. :h:
No. You're just unfriendly.

I wouldn't necessarily disagree.

I'm friendly if someone's interesting but if I'm busy I don't want random people talking to me

Quick Reply

Latest