The Student Room Group

Harder to get into MATHS than MEDICINE?

Hey,
So recently I've been looking at different universities and just browsing the minimum requirements to get into specific courses.
At Imperial, I've noticed that you need A*A*A to do maths (A* in maths and FM) whereas to get into medicine you only need AAA at A-Level and at GCSE, AAABB in any of the following, 3 sciences, maths and English which isn't too difficult.
Why is it that maths is harder to get into and is a maths degree better than a medicine degree? Finally, can you get a "decent" job with a maths degree that has a good salary if you were to come out with a minimum 2:1?
I really want to study maths at imperial but the requirements are fairly high so if better start studying now!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Original post by ThatPerson
The grade requirements are misleading. Medical applicants are restricted to 4 choices, have to do interviews, need related medical work experience, and must sit either the UKCAT or BMAT. Some medical schools also have high GCSE requirements.

Maths applicants generally just need to have a passion for maths, and at the top universities must sit tests such as the MAT in November, or STEP in June as part of an offer.

They're both difficult in their own way. It's hard to get a medicine offer, but I'd say it is much harder to meet a Maths offer that requires STEP. I don't think it really matters.

For your last question, I'd redirect it at you: Do you think you'll be able to get a decent job with a 2:1? Why do you think that you couldn't?

Lastly, how old are you? Are you going into Year 12?

Hahaa, thanks for the reply.
I'm 16, turning 17 in about month or so and studying, maths, FM, physics and economics at A-Levels. And I think you should be able to get a really good job if you were to come out with a 2:1.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Maths is also one of the easiest A-levels to get an A* in - just by the nature of it. It's very right or wrong, very easy to practice and revise and relatively straight forward for competent mathematicians (i.e. those wanting to do a maths degree). It's a requirement for Maths courses, whereas it's not a required subject for medicine. Medical applicants have it harder with the other hoops they have to jump - it's not about the grades at all.

With a 2.1 in maths you stand a perfectly good chance with decent graduate schemes which can lead to very good positions.
Original post by Nymthae
Maths is also one of the easiest A-levels to get an A* in - just by the nature of it. It's very right or wrong, very easy to practice and revise and relatively straight forward for competent mathematicians (i.e. those wanting to do a maths degree). It's a requirement for Maths courses, whereas it's not a required subject for medicine. Medical applicants have it harder with the other hoops they have to jump - it's not about the grades at all.

With a 2.1 in maths you stand a perfectly good chance with decent graduate schemes which can lead to very good positions.

Sorry your first point is utter rubbish maths is one of the hardest and most respected a levels

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Well unlike maths, medicine isn't JUST about grades, there's a lot more to a medical application than how many A*s you get at A level.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by Cameron.M
Sorry your first point is utter rubbish maths is one of the hardest and most respected a levels

Posted from TSR Mobile

Never said it wasn't hard or respected, but in terms of getting an A* it's one of the highest rates. With a smart working plan and inclination to maths it's sure easier than a subjective one like English etc.

Infact, further maths is apparently the most common A*, with maths behind that.
(edited 9 years ago)
If you're intelligent, do maths.

If you want to impress gran, do medicine.
Reply 7
Original post by Glider Gun

Lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Nymthae
Never said it wasn't hard or respected, but in terms of getting an A* it's one of the highest rates. With a smart working plan and inclination to maths it's sure easier than a subjective one like English etc.

Infact, further maths is apparently the most common A*, with maths behind that.

Yes because only the really good people at maths do further maths. No other subject has a further a level!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by Cameron.M
Yes because only the really good people at maths do further maths. No other subject has a further a level!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Exactly. Further maths is not easy. It's just that people who get B's or A's for maths don't do it. So you only have GCSE A* students taking further maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Are English and Scottish maths degrees very different? The entry requirements seem incredibly low up here in comparison!
Reply 11

Try to do UKCAT or BMAT, pass interviews and get good grades at sciences (which aren't as easy as they seem to be!) and then say medical applicants aren't intelligent
Original post by Nottie
Try to do UKCAT or BMAT, pass interviews and get good grades at sciences (which aren't as easy as they seem to be!) and then say medical applicants aren't intelligent

Try to get a 1 or S in STEP II or III.
Reply 13
Try to get a 1 or S in STEP II or III.

No idea what those 2 are. But still it doesn't change the fact that med applicants are intelligent
Reply 14
A maths degree is one of the best degrees to do if you're just interested in earning a lot of money after graduation. However, it's also one of the worst degrees to do if you're not genuinely interested (and very good) at the subject. A*A*A with A*s in Maths/FM may seem like a high requirement but it shouldn't even be much of a challenge if you're the kind of calibre of applicant Oxbridge/Warwick/Imperial wants for maths.
Original post by Noble.
A maths degree is one of the best degrees to do if you're just interested in earning a lot of money after graduation. However, it's also one of the worst degrees to do if you're not genuinely interested (and very good) at the subject. A*A*A with A*s in Maths/FM may seem like a high requirement but it shouldn't even be much of a challenge if you're the kind of calibre of applicant Oxbridge/Warwick/Imperial wants for maths.

You did maths at Oxford didn't you? What kind of starting salaries can oxbridge maths graduates be realistically looking at assuming they only care about making a lot of money?
Reply 16
You did maths at Oxford didn't you? What kind of starting salaries can oxbridge maths graduates be realistically looking at assuming they only care about making a lot of money?

I'm doing maths at Oxford still (third year).

If you only care about money you could go into an investment banking division at a big bank where you'd earn an average of about £65k in the first year
Original post by Jelly150
Exactly. Further maths is not easy. It's just that people who get B's or A's for maths don't do it. So you only have GCSE A* students taking further maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile

i got an A at maths gcse and i'm doing further maths :/ should i be worried?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by aldanyh
There are lots more people with innate talents in Maths/FM than there are in other subjects.
The higher you move up the educational system for Maths, the greater the number of people you'll encounter with prodigy or savant-type abilities in it. For example I knew someone who could 'see' quadratic equations visually. That is why there is a higher proportion of A* achievers. If you aren't talented in it then don't expect to get one without a lot of hard work, it isn't an easy subject.

A Medicine application involves doing a lot more than meeting grade requirements, and involves a lot of extracurricular activities; successfully completing all of them while studying makes achieving AAA a large feat. You're also required to study Chemistry for Medicine which most people would find tougher than Maths. It isn't easy either. Which one's harder depends on where your talents lie.

The first paragraph is total BS.
There is no such thing as innate talent. The sprouting of this kind of BS is what prevents people enjoying Maths.
What you perceive to be innate talent is simply a greater understanding of mathematics. If you spend 10X the amount of time your classmates spend thinking about Mathematics, I can see why you would be seen as a Genius.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Original post by tanyapotter
i got an A at maths gcse and i'm doing further maths :/ should i be worried?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You shouldn't be worried. But you must fully understand all the GCSE A* topics and should be able to know how to do all algebra related GCSE A* questions.
But I guess, you probably already started learning them if you don't already know them since you are doing FM.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest