The Student Room Group

Is Maths a good A-Level to have? Is it really important to have?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Thinking_Aloud
I think it'll be fine, if your just taking maths as an alongside then you can always just ignore it if it gets too hard and focus on your other three. I don't think the A levels will be harder, they are just changing the layout and it might even benefit you if your the type of learner that hates coursework.
Not having maths won't look bad, but it might make it harder to find employment or get on your chosen course as universities as maths is a really valued subject.
It is a tricky dilemma. :smile:

Yeah maybe I could just drop it if I hate it..

It's just that my mum did the Three straight a-levels when she was at college( back then it was three a levels no as/a2 and GCSE's only JUST came out) and she said they were hard & only really clever people did 4 straight a levels:frown:

Hopefully i'll be able to do the Maths alongside and then drop it

Thankyou for your help x
Original post by elmosandy
Yeah maybe I could just drop it if I hate it..

It's just that my mum did the Three straight a-levels when she was at college( back then it was three a levels no as/a2 and GCSE's only JUST came out) and she said they were hard & only really clever people did 4 straight a levels:frown:

Hopefully i'll be able to do the Maths alongside and then drop it

Thankyou for your help x

That's okay.
Glad to have been of some assistance. :smile: x
The A levels won't be like when your mum did them, at least for the first year, because there hasn't been the same standard of learning at secondary- if that makes sense.
Reply 22
Original post by Thinking_Aloud
That's okay.
Glad to have been of some assistance. :smile: x
The A levels won't be like when your mum did them, at least for the first year, because there hasn't been the same standard of learning at secondary- if that makes sense.

I see:smile:

Thanks again x
Is it a good a level? Yes, but that doesn't mean you should do it! You should pick subjects that you're good at and you enjoy; there's no point spending 2 years of your life studying a subject that's not required and you don't enjoy just to get a bad grade at the end of it :tongue:
Reply 24
Original post by smile:D
Is it a good a level? Yes, but that doesn't mean you should do it! You should pick subjects that you're good at and you enjoy; there's no point spending 2 years of your life studying a subject that's not required and you don't enjoy just to get a bad grade at the end of it :tongue:

I'm just worried that i'm going to be at disavantage? especially since i'm year12 age and still on (i)gcses (long story) so i'm taking my exams, everything a year later
I'm just worried that i'm going to be at disavantage? especially since i'm year12 age and still on (i)gcses (long story) so i'm taking my exams, everything a year later

You won't be at a disadvantage; if maths was important it would be an entry requirement. Your teachers can also mention your circumstances in your reference. I know plenty of people who are 16/17 taking their GCSEs, especially international people (don't know if that applies or not), but it's really nothing to worry about.

What would put you at more of a disadvantage and restrict your uni choices would be a lower grade in maths - say a C compared to As.

Honestly, I think you should just go with what you enjoy. You've already got 2 sciences, so there's really no need to do maths for the sake of it :tongue:
Reply 26
You won't be at a disadvantage; if maths was important it would be an entry requirement. Your teachers can also mention your circumstances in your reference. I know plenty of people who are 16/17 taking their GCSEs, especially international people (don't know if that applies or not), but it's really nothing to worry about.

What would put you at more of a disadvantage and restrict your uni choices would be a lower grade in maths - say a C compared to As.

Honestly, I think you should just go with what you enjoy. You've already got 2 sciences, so there's really no need to do maths for the sake of it :tongue:

That's makes me feel better, really but i'm part-time Homeschooled (BTEC lv2 sport at college only 3 days a week) and i'm not an international student

And I see, thanks x
You're welcome. It's your lucky day :smile:

What should I do I hate Maths? x

This is your limiting belief. And What I mean with that is don't get used to say you hate a subject.

I like Tony Robbins and he came up with sth that shows the relationship between beliefs and getting results you want.
It's made up of 4 things:

1) Potential
2) Action
3) Result
4) Belief

You mentioned you hate maths so we can assume your potential in a maths subject to be low. (hey i'm sorry, but there's big hope for you. I'm just explaining why you should not say you hate subject XYZ). Knowing that, you would take only a little action (doing as much as necessary, little homework, etc).
What kind of results will you expect if you don't take much action? Of course, modest results :wink:
And because you get modest results you tell yourself, your friends and relatives (also in this forum) you hate maths.

It's the same with sports, attending a job interview or anything else in life.
"Your thoughts create your future". :smile:

If you tell yourself "well, I'll give maths a chance because I'm able to learn." then automatically you have more potential, take more action and because practice makes perfect you get better maths results. With that you tell yourself "that's funny. I already knew I was good at maths".

It's like a self-fulfilling prophecy. I have many more examples but keep myself short. Hope that helped :smile:
Reply 28
Original post by GetFastMemory
You're welcome. It's your lucky day :smile:

This is your limiting belief. And What I mean with that is don't get used to say you hate a subject.

I like Tony Robbins and he came up with sth that shows the relationship between beliefs and getting results you want.
It's made up of 4 things:

1) Potential
2) Action
3) Result
4) Belief

You mentioned you hate maths so we can assume your potential in a maths subject to be low. (hey i'm sorry, but there's big hope for you. I'm just explaining why you should not say you hate subject XYZ). Knowing that, you would take only a little action (doing as much as necessary, little homework, etc).
What kind of results will you expect if you don't take much action? Of course, modest results :wink:
And because you get modest results you tell yourself, your friends and relatives (also in this forum) you hate maths.

It's the same with sports, attending a job interview or anything else in life.
"Your thoughts create your future". :smile:

If you tell yourself "well, I'll give maths a chance because I'm able to learn." then automatically you have more potential, take more action and because practice makes perfect you get better maths results. With that you tell yourself "that's funny. I already knew I was good at maths".

It's like a self-fulfilling prophecy. I have many more examples but keep myself short. Hope that helped :smile:

Wow.. Thanks! :biggrin:
That's makes me feel better, really but i'm part-time Homeschooled (BTEC lv2 sport at college only 3 days a week) and i'm not an international student

And I see, thanks x

I seriously wouldn't worry- the admissions people will see such a variety of applications, and you'll be the same age as people on gap years anyway.
Reply 30
I seriously wouldn't worry- the admissions people will see such a variety of applications, and you'll be the same age as people on gap years anyway.

I guess, thankyou btw x
The majority of uni's ask for Biology A-level only. Some ask for a second science, and some specifically prefer Chemistry.

I've looked at a lot of universities, and never seen one require Maths, outside of classing it as a second science.

As long as you have two facilitating subjects (Bio and Chem in your case), it doesn't matter all that much about your third.
Reply 32
Original post by loperdoper
The majority of uni's ask for Biology A-level only. Some ask for a second science, and some specifically prefer Chemistry.

I've looked at a lot of universities, and never seen one require Maths, outside of classing it as a second science.

As long as you have two facilitating subjects (Bio and Chem in your case), it doesn't matter all that much about your third.

Thanks
I want to read Biology at Uni but people tell me I need Maths A-Level for Biology? and its a good a-level to have and you can make lots of money out of it? I want to do Biology,Chemistry and Psychology but people tell me I need Maths A-Level instead of Psychology?

What should I do I hate Maths? x

I think you will earn a good salary if you study/have maths unlike those who dont. Plus there is some maths in biology.
just check the requirements....

Quick Reply

Latest