The Student Room Group

A Level maths in one year?

Has anybody done the entire A level in your AS year, or is currently doing so? How did you find it? Is it stressful etc. Please tell me about your experiences :smile:

I'm doing normal AS maths at the moment because I thought my school would be doing actual Further maths modules rather than the A-level in one year. However, now I know what exactly they'll be doing I have one week to decide whether I want to do it. I did get an A* in normal maths and did an extra GCSE of statistics which I also got an A* for (however, I didn't do further maths).

I realise it's a lot of work, but it is very tempting to do it in one year so I can do English to A2 (my eye is on UCL for medicine who prefer a very different A2..so I would have done A2 maths in one year as well as bio and chem).
Bump.
Original post by ToLiveInADream
Has anybody done the entire A level in your AS year, or is currently doing so? How did you find it? Is it stressful etc. Please tell me about your experiences :smile:

I'm doing normal AS maths at the moment because I thought my school would be doing actual Further maths modules rather than the A-level in one year. However, now I know what exactly they'll be doing I have one week to decide whether I want to do it. I did get an A* in normal maths and did an extra GCSE of statistics which I also got an A* for (however, I didn't do further maths).

I realise it's a lot of work, but it is very tempting to do it in one year so I can do English to A2 (my eye is on UCL for medicine who prefer a very different A2..so I would have done A2 maths in one year as well as bio and chem).

I did the entire A Level Maths in my AS year and did not find it stressful. I did the four core modules (C1-4), M1 and S1. I found that to get an A overall it is not too difficult as the AS and applied modules are fairly easy with some revision. However, there is definitely a big jump from AS to A2; C3 and C4 are a lot more challenging. I found that after doing past papers it became a lot easier but for some people the exam was too difficult to sit in the AS year.

If you plan on doing Further Maths then C3 and C4 will become a lot easier after doing some Further Maths modules. So if you do get an A overall in the first year then you can always resit C3 and/or C4 in your A2 year to get the A*.

I would say make sure you are confident of getting an A/A*. If you don't plan on doing Further Maths then I would not advise doing the entire A Level in one year as even if you are good enough for an A*, it can be easily missed as getting a 90% average in C3 and C4 is not that easy.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by ToLiveInADream

Most schools do FM by doing Maths in Y12 and FM in Y13

It is not "easy" but students who are capable of FM will find C1 and C2 very easy so, they are really only working hard on 4 units rather than the normal 3 units

Quick Reply

Latest