The Student Room Group

Birmingham Medicine applicants 2015

For all those applying/thinking of applying to Bham med school for 2015 entry. I´m a current bham med student, and there will be others lurking around, so please feel free to ask questions! :smile:

Having said that, this is not the place for questions like "what are the entry requirements" or "am I good enough". The answer to the first question can be found here http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/med/medicine.aspx#CourseDetailsTab. The second by clicking on the above link, then looking at the entry requirements, and then using your common sense. If in doubt - email the admissions team.

Good luck!

Here's the medicine connect/stalking page - you'll be able to see other applicants' grades and offers. If you enter your details it will be really helpful for other people applying. :h:
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

What is the course like overall? very intensive/manageable?

Is there enough emphasis on clinical skills and patient contact? any details would be appreciated e.g. placements or clinical sessions.

How much PBL is there?

Do you feel that as a student, you get enough support in studies and have a structured course?

What exactly does EBL consist of (could you give an example of EBL task/assignment) and do you think its effective?

Thanks in advance :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by TheProblematique
What is the course like overall? very intensive/manageable?

Is there enough emphasis on clinical skills and patient contact? any details would be appreciated e.g. placements or clinical sessions.

How much PBL is there?

Do you feel that as a student, you get enough support in studies and have a structured course?

What exactly does EBL consist of (could you give an example of EBL task/assignment) and do you think its effective?

Thanks in advance :smile:

Hey, the course has been really good so far! I´ve had a fantastic time and it is well-structured. Obviously it is intense - that´s just the nature of the course, but it´s certainly manageable!

I think Bham are really good in terms of early clinical contact - you´ll be out at GP placements starting the first or second week at uni once fortnightly, and there you start learning how to take basic histories and examinations. It means that once you get to clinical years and start having hospital placements, you have at least the basics to build upon and you´re not thrown in the deep end! Its very well organised and for most people in pre-clinicals its their favourite days.

PBL is once fortnightly. It has its uses, but you certainly don´t need more of it than there is.

Pastoral support is great and we have Personal Mentors that are always there when you need them. There are also medic Mums/Dads that are volunteer to help the new freshers settle in, and they´re really helpful too! All in all the course is quite well organised.

Sorry, but what does EBL even stand for?

Hope that helps! :smile:
Original post by cmkable
Hey, the course has been really good so far! I´ve had a fantastic time and it is well-structured. Obviously it is intense - that´s just the nature of the course, but it´s certainly manageable!

I think Bham are really good in terms of early clinical contact - you´ll be out at GP placements starting the first or second week at uni once fortnightly, and there you start learning how to take basic histories and examinations. It means that once you get to clinical years and start having hospital placements, you have at least the basics to build upon and you´re not thrown in the deep end! Its very well organised and for most people in pre-clinicals its their favourite days.

PBL is once fortnightly. It has its uses, but you certainly don´t need more of it than there is.

Pastoral support is great and we have Personal Mentors that are always there when you need them. There are also medic Mums/Dads that are volunteer to help the new freshers settle in, and they´re really helpful too! All in all the course is quite well organised.

Sorry, but what does EBL even stand for?

Hope that helps! :smile:

Thank you so much! That was very helpful :smile:

Are there are disadvantages of Birmingham or anything I should be careful of?

EBL is enquiry-based learning, this is what is said on their website:

Much of the student selected component uses enquiry based learning , a form of active, student led, learning which asks students to find answers to problems through their own research rather than simply being given information and memorising facts. This learning style is supported by a personal mentoring system and is beneficial because it develops team work and also provides vital skills required to practice as a doctor in a lifelong learning environment.

Enquiry Based Learning (EBL)
is a group activity which requires you to work in a team, with a variety of assessment methods; in either a group or individually, by written reports and sometimes as a presentation. Based on techniques used in research-led organisations like the University of Birmingham, EBL gives you a research-orientated approach to a problem and helps you to gain essential skills that are highly valued by employers.
Reply 4
Original post by TheProblematique
Thank you so much! That was very helpful :smile:

Are there are disadvantages of Birmingham or anything I should be careful of?

EBL is enquiry-based learning, this is what is said on their website:

Much of the student selected component uses enquiry based learning , a form of active, student led, learning which asks students to find answers to problems through their own research rather than simply being given information and memorising facts. This learning style is supported by a personal mentoring system and is beneficial because it develops team work and also provides vital skills required to practice as a doctor in a lifelong learning environment.

Enquiry Based Learning (EBL)
is a group activity which requires you to work in a team, with a variety of assessment methods; in either a group or individually, by written reports and sometimes as a presentation. Based on techniques used in research-led organisations like the University of Birmingham, EBL gives you a research-orientated approach to a problem and helps you to gain essential skills that are highly valued by employers.

Not many really. We are a pretty large cohort, so it can be a bit impersonal but tbh I quite enjoy being a bit anonymous, it makes a bit of a change from school! Other than that, perhaps if you're a diehard wannabe surgeon you might prefer somewhere where they do dissection instead of prosection, but overall anatomy teaching is decent and improving year on year.

Oooooh ok. I think theyre possibly referring to IP, Integrated Problems, which is our version of PBL? Yeah, to be completely honest I didnt find it that useful. You get given a case in the morning, and then you're meant to decide on learning outcomes, go and investigate it in a team, and come back in the afternoon and present your findings to the rest of your tutorial group. Everything core is in the lectures, so it is useful in terms of getting a lot of practice for presentations, but not much else. Though everybody learns differently, so it might suit other people!
Hi!

In terms of academic scores I have predicted 45 in IB, and in IGCSEs I have 9 A*s 1 A (Including A*s in additional math, extended math, physics, chemistry, biology, english language) however the 1 A is in english literature, so would this put me at a disadvantage or mean i wouldn't get considered?
Original post by ishysmile
Hi!

In terms of academic scores I have predicted 45 in IB, and in IGCSEs I have 9 A*s 1 A (Including A*s in additional math, extended math, physics, chemistry, biology, english language) however the 1 A is in english literature, so would this put me at a disadvantage or mean i wouldn't get considered?

You'll be considered, they want an A* in Lang OR Lit
Reply 7
I have achieved A level results A*AA, AS results of AAAA and 9A*s and 2As in GCSE. I also volunteer at three places, have attained work experience at a hospital and a GPs surgery. Do I stand in good stead for being invited for an interview? I am a gap year applicant, and therefore I have to be extra careful as to where I apply. Any advice will be much appreciated :smile:
Original post by flower868
I have achieved A level results A*AA, AS results of AAAA and 9A*s and 2As in GCSE. I also volunteer at three places, have attained work experience at a hospital and a GPs surgery. Do I stand in good stead for being invited for an interview? I am a gap year applicant, and therefore I have to be extra careful as to where I apply. Any advice will be much appreciated :smile:

Of course you stand a chance...
Can anybody confirm that Bham require A* in eng lang OR lit. I am pretty sure that is correct but their website just says in English?
Original post by BrokenS0ulz
Can anybody confirm that Bham require A* in eng lang OR lit. I am pretty sure that is correct but their website just says in English?

Yes, an A* in either Lang or Lit. I've queried this :smile:

Original post by h3isenberg
Yes, an A* in either Lang or Lit. I've queried this :smile:

Thank you! I questioned my application for a second since I only have the A* in lit haha :tongue:
Reply 12
When they say 'Preference will be given to those applicants offering A* grades in English', does it imply that it is a must to get an A*?
Original post by Sacico
When they say 'Preference will be given to those applicants offering A* grades in English', does it imply that it is a must to get an A*?

Well they say it is a preference but in reality you don't stand a chance unless you get A* in English, Maths, Sciences and AAAA at AS-level. I know someone who was told at an open day that he had no chance of an interview with AAAB at AS. It's all due to competition and there is always so much competition at universities with no aptitude test.
Reply 14
Hey I have a quick question about the admissions at BHAM. Do you know the weighting put on both ps and academic score they have on deciding which applicants to invite for interview? and if you have already achieved grades is their preferable?

Thanks

Original post by cmkable
For all those applying/thinking of applying to Bham med school for 2015 entry. I´m a current bham med student, and there will be others lurking around, so please feel free to ask questions! :smile:

Having said that, this is not the place for questions like "what are the entry requirements" or "am I good enough". The answer to the first question can be found here http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/med/medicine.aspx#CourseDetailsTab. The second by clicking on the above link, then looking at the entry requirements, and then using your common sense. If in doubt - email the admissions team.

Good luck!
Reply 15
Original post by hbanana3
Hey I have a quick question about the admissions at BHAM. Do you know the weighting put on both ps and academic score they have on deciding which applicants to invite for interview? and if you have already achieved grades is their preferable?

Thanks

I´m sorry but I´m not an admissions tutor and therefore have no idea. Have a look at the entry requirements and if not drop them an email. :smile:
Reply 16
with AAAB at AS level will my application not be considered?
Reply 17
Love to go to Birmingham however I appear to be a poor candidate

9A* gcse plus 2 A both of which are English

A2 maths grade A taken early

aaa A/s , prd A*A*A* physics, Chem, bio

UKCAT 753 SJT 1

Loads of W/e , community engagement, sports, music g8 etc

Should I contemplate risking a place simply because I missed an A* in English GCSE?

Thanks
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Irob
Love to go to Birmingham however I appear to be a poor candidate

9A* gcse plus 2 A both of which are English

A2 maths grade A taken early

aaa A/s , prd A*A*A* physics, Chem, bio

UKCAT 753 SJT 1

Loads of W/e , community engagement, sports, music g8 etc

Should I contemplate risking a place simply because I missed an A* in English GCSE?

Thanks

Don't think they'll consider you without the 'preferred' A* in English Lang or Lit. It's really harsh, but they have said on open days that they won't consider you if you don't have all A's at AS and A*s in English, Maths and Sciences at GCSEs.

I don't feel too bad saying this because with your profile you can apply practically everywhere else :tongue:. Birmingham is just picky over grades.
Reply 19
Original post by h3isenberg
Don't think they'll consider you without the 'preferred' A* in English Lang or Lit. It's really harsh, but they have said on open days that they won't consider you if you don't have all A's at AS and A*s in English, Maths and Sciences at GCSEs.

I don't feel too bad saying this because with your profile you can apply practically everywhere else :tongue:. Birmingham is just picky over grades.

Thought so, many thanks

Quick Reply