The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough

Will I fit in at Loughborough?

Hi guys, I'm applying to unis this year and I really like the sound of one of the courses at Loughborough, however, I've heard that Loughborough is a very sport-dominated uni and is full of 'lad' types. I'm a guy, but I'm not really into sport at all and I'm definitely not a lad type of guy haha, I'm worried that I won't fit in if I do apply there and manage to get in. Is what I've heard true about it mostly being sporty lad types of guys that go there?
I've never visited it but Loughborough is mainly known for 2 things - sport and engineering.

If you're not massively in to those, I'd consider somewhere else because few ever say that Loughborough is a particularly interesting place to live and, with it being just a campus university, I'd personally want the town/city itself to be interesting.

I suppose for many it's what they make of it but I often prefer places to make me.
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough
Original post by R-Team
Hi guys, I'm applying to unis this year and I really like the sound of one of the courses at Loughborough, however, I've heard that Loughborough is a very sport-dominated uni and is full of 'lad' types. I'm a guy, but I'm not really into sport at all and I'm definitely not a lad type of guy haha, I'm worried that I won't fit in if I do apply there and manage to get in. Is what I've heard true about it mostly being sporty lad types of guys that go there?

Hey there. I'm not a sporty lad type (I absolutely cannot stand football or rugby, I do love archery though), except I'm moving in next week :biggrin: I don't consider it a problem, as there are others who aren't sports lovers. My friend is the same as me and he's also going to Loughborough. I wouldn't worry about it at all, don't let it put you off. If you get in, come find me next year and we can chill sometime :biggrin:
Reply 3
Original post by Nogoodsorgods
I've never visited it but Loughborough is mainly known for 2 things - sport and engineering.

If you're not massively in to those, I'd consider somewhere else because few ever say that Loughborough is a particularly interesting place to live and, with it being just a campus university, I'd personally want the town/city itself to be interesting.

I suppose for many it's what they make of it but I often prefer places to make me.

Well I'm hoping to do Engineering so maybe I'll be okay haha, thanks anyway
Reply 4
Original post by Typhoon235
Hey there. I'm not a sporty lad type (I absolutely cannot stand football or rugby, I do love archery though), except I'm moving in next week :biggrin: I don't consider it a problem, as there are others who aren't sports lovers. My friend is the same as me and he's also going to Loughborough. I wouldn't worry about it at all, don't let it put you off. If you get in, come find me next year and we can chill sometime :biggrin:

Ahh okay, so glad there's others like me going to Loughborough haha! Thought it would mostly attract the sport lovers. And if I don't find anyone I will most definitely come and chill with you if I get in. What course/halls are you in out of curiosity? My cousin is going there this year and he's pretty similar to me so maybe he can join the club haha :wink:
Original post by R-Team
Ahh okay, so glad there's others like me going to Loughborough haha! Thought it would mostly attract the sport lovers. And if I don't find anyone I will most definitely come and chill with you if I get in. What course/halls are you in out of curiosity? My cousin is going there this year and he's pretty similar to me so maybe he can join the club haha :wink:

Whilst there will certainly be the sport lovers, there will be ones who aren't. I really wouldn't worry :wink:
I'm in Rutherford by the way and will be doing Air Transport Management :smile:
I'm not into sport in the slightest, nor do I do a sports degree or engineering, and I have had a great two years here. Met plenty (and I mean plenty) of people who aren't into sports either, as well as some who enjoy recreational sport but don't take it seriously. It's a university that does a lot of different degrees, for anyone to say that it's mostly sporty lad types clearly hasn't really spent a great deal of time at the uni (there are those types but it's not like everyone is like that or that you'll feel left out because you're not).

Only advice is you might want to avoid the union's Wednesday nights as it is predominantly aimed at the AU (athletic union) so it is pretty rowdy, laddy and testosterone filled. 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Hi, also moving to Loughborough University soon. Although I'm quite into sport, I'm not exactly fantastic at any of them and I'm most certainly not in the 'lad' culture. I'm kinda worried about it being a generally 'lad', sportsman kind of place, because I imagine I'd be extremely out of place, but it doesn't seem to be the case completely so far. :biggrin:
Reply 8
Just my two cents:

If you have not been to the University then can you please not scare off our new students with unsubstantiated rumours.

If you are coming: congrats on getting a place :smile: yes, sports and engineering may be things that Loughborough is best at, but that doesn't mean they are the only things that happen here. A lot of universities gain an image which revolves around their best areas, but in reality can have a much more varied lifestyle than the image suggests.

If you like sport but don't feel particularly competitive, there are other options such as recreational sport (called MyLifestyle) with the Athletics Union or IMS for sports competitions between Halls of Residence, among others. There are also societies covering a range of interests which we are currently discussing on the thread at: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2801123

SU Societies and AU clubs are just the tip of the iceberg, though - there are other ways to get involved with the Students' Union or the University which you'll find out more about in your first week.
Original post by LSUFever
Just my two cents:

If you have not been to the University then can you please not scare off our new students with unsubstantiated rumours.

If you are coming: congrats on getting a place :smile: yes, sports and engineering may be things that Loughborough is best at, but that doesn't mean they are the only things that happen here. A lot of universities gain an image which revolves around their best areas, but in reality can have a much more varied lifestyle than the image suggests.

If you like sport but don't feel particularly competitive, there are other options such as recreational sport (called MyLifestyle) with the Athletics Union or IMS for sports competitions between Halls of Residence, among others. There are also societies covering a range of interests which we are currently discussing on the thread at: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2801123

SU Societies and AU clubs are just the tip of the iceberg, though - there are other ways to get involved with the Students' Union or the University which you'll find out more about in your first week.

Hey, does this inter hall sport stuff also include archery? That'd be a right laugh :smile:
Hey, does this inter hall sport stuff also include archery? That'd be a right laugh :smile:

It certainly did when I was a fresher! (shot for falk-egg IMS) I see no reason why it wouldn't still be a thing now =]
Original post by R-Team

Certain universities have this kind of posh lad reputation (Loughborough, Newcastle, etc.) but you'll find a variety of people at any university so you don't need to worry about "fitting in" really.
Original post by LivingHistory
It certainly did when I was a fresher! (shot for falk-egg IMS) I see no reason why it wouldn't still be a thing now =]

Awesome, I wonder if I could use my own compound bow? I've done archery a lot and I'm thinking about trying to join the team. :smile:
Awesome, I wonder if I could use my own compound bow? I've done archery a lot and I'm thinking about trying to join the team. :smile:

Try out for the AU club would be my advice. And get in there quick - archery is popular! Possibly even email the current committee if you're very interested.
Original post by LSUFever
Try out for the AU club would be my advice. And get in there quick - archery is popular! Possibly even email the current committee if you're very interested.

Wow, really? I'll do that, but what do I say? Just that I'm interested in shooting and have all my own equipment?
yup! if previous years are anything to go by, all three 'trial' sessions will be very full and there will be a waiting list of people as long as my arm wanting still to get on.

first off, have a check on their website: http://www.lboroarchery.co.uk/

and yeah, just explain whats going on, you've heard on TSR how busy it always is and how much you want to join to carry on the sport [youve, by the sounds of it, done for a while], and that you wanna see if you can put your name on forward for it.
Wow, really? I'll do that, but what do I say? Just that I'm interested in shooting and have all my own equipment?

Original post by LivingHistory
yup! if previous years are anything to go by, all three 'trial' sessions will be very full and there will be a waiting list of people as long as my arm wanting still to get on.

first off, have a check on their website: http://www.lboroarchery.co.uk/

and yeah, just explain whats going on, you've heard on TSR how busy it always is and how much you want to join to carry on the sport [youve, by the sounds of it, done for a while], and that you wanna see if you can put your name on forward for it.

What he said ;p

In my experience, Society Committees love it when a prospective student already knows about them and wants to join. So yeah, don't worry too much :smile:
Awesome, thanks guys! :biggrin:
Hopefully this has been sorted now, thanks LivingHistory and LSUFever for your help!

We run the taster sessions in place of trials as many people will never have tried it before. For any experienced archers looking to join I would advise contacting the club and the committee will then tell you how to join the club.
If there's any other questions you have then please don't hesitate to get in touch.
Woohoo AU presence! That's a good 5 official accounts now :biggrin: thanks for joining the party, LboroArchery!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending