The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Commuting from London?

As term approaches I'm considering this option more and more. I live in London so have free accommodation here. I'm going into my final year now, coming back from a year abroad and all of my friends have graduated now. I'm certainly not that bothered about uni night life or societies as I did all that 1st and 2nd year. I also do a humanities course so I have about 8-9 contact hours a week.

It could potentially save me a whole 3k which I could save towards something else post graduation (masters fees perhaps or travelling). Has anybody ever done this?
Reply 1
I didn't commute to Warwick, but my last uni was about 3-3.5 hours commute via tube and train. I did history and was writing my dissertation (and also had just come back from Erasmus) so I had the same thoughts.

It becomes very hard to motivate yourself to go to all your lectures. Especially if they're 9am - the trains were much slower at this time and I'd be leaving my place around 5am. There was one module I didn't attend any of my lectures for, just did my own studying. Turned out that module was the only one I got a 2:1 for so I suppose I didn't make up for the missed lectures.

It turned out okay overall though, I saved a lot of money which helped me pay off my overdraft and will help me get by this year with my MA at Warwick. Got a first which I was aiming for. It also proved quite useful to have the LSE library 45m away since its got a pretty impressive selection. Living with parents and writing a dissertation can be a bit stressful though.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 2
Original post by bulbokov
I didn't commute to Warwick, but my last uni was about 3-3.5 hours commute via tube and train. I did history and was writing my dissertation (and also had just come back from Erasmus) so I had the same thoughts.

It becomes very hard to motivate yourself to go to all your lectures. Especially if they're 9am - the trains were much slower at this time and I'd be leaving my place around 5am. There was one module I didn't attend any of my lectures for, just did my own studying. Turned out that module was the only one I got a 2:1 for so I suppose I didn't make up for the missed lectures.

It turned out okay overall though, I saved a lot of money which helped me pay off my overdraft and will help me get by this year with my MA at Warwick. Got a first which I was aiming for. It also proved quite useful to have the LSE library 45m away since its got a pretty impressive selection. Living with parents and writing a dissertation can be a bit stressful though.

You live in London I'm guessing? Where was your last uni? Was it 3 hours one way?

I'm going to have to wait til I know my timetable to make an informed decision, hopefully my classes won't be too spread out throughout the week.

I didn't go to all my lectures even in 1st and 2nd year so I can happily miss some. You seem quite motivated, which is how I am when I'm in a happy environment - another motivation to not live in Coventry is my lack of social links due to my friends not being there, so I think I'll be happier (and will work harder) spending as much time away from uni as possible and more time in my home town.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by yabbayabba
You live in London I'm guessing? Where was your last uni? Was it 3 hours one way?

I'm going to have to wait til I know my timetable to make an informed decision, hopefully my classes won't be too spread out throughout the week.

I didn't go to all my lectures even in 1st and 2nd year so I can happily miss some. You seem quite motivated, which is how I am when I'm in a happy environment - another motivation to not live in Coventry is my lack of social links due to my friends not being there, so I think I'll be happier (and will work harder) spending as much time away from uni as possible and more time in my home town.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep, West London zone 3. My uni was Chichester - a pretty small one down south, closeish to Portsmouth and Southampton. Walking to the tube station was 10 minutes, tube to Victoria about 30 minutes, train to Chichester about 1h30/45, and 2h10 if I had to be in for 9am. Was about 20 mins to walk to the uni from the station and if I tried to make the 9am lecture I'd take a taxi for £5. So yeah, roughly 3 hours each way - the train going through the South Downs made it a bit more bearable.

If all your lectures are scheduled for late morning or afternoon, I'd say go for it. Another issue I should point out is that it made attending advice/workshop sessions difficult (hard to justify hours commuting for a 15 min talk) - was particularly annoying when I wanted interview practice or detailed advice about selection processes.
Reply 4
Yep, West London zone 3. My uni was Chichester - a pretty small one down south, closeish to Portsmouth and Southampton. Walking to the tube station was 10 minutes, tube to Victoria about 30 minutes, train to Chichester about 1h30/45, and 2h10 if I had to be in for 9am. Was about 20 mins to walk to the uni from the station and if I tried to make the 9am lecture I'd take a taxi for £5. So yeah, roughly 3 hours each way - the train going through the South Downs made it a bit more bearable.

If all your lectures are scheduled for late morning or afternoon, I'd say go for it. Another issue I should point out is that it made attending advice/workshop sessions difficult (hard to justify hours commuting for a 15 min talk) - was particularly annoying when I wanted interview practice or detailed advice about selection processes.

Ah ok, thanks for your response. I'm in zone 2 so possibly easier for me. Not too bothered about any extra curricular career stuff, it's rarely useful I've found. Were you not very tired with all that travelling?

So yeah if I do get a good timetable I'll definitely give this a go. Spending money on accommodation this year seems fruitless as I'm really only at Warwick to finish my degree, not for any of the social aspects.

Also how much was transport over the year?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5
Ah ok, thanks for your response. I'm in zone 2 so possibly easier for me. Not too bothered about any extra curricular career stuff, it's rarely useful I've found. Were you not very tired with all that travelling?

So yeah if I do get a good timetable I'll definitely give this a go. Spending money on accommodation this year seems fruitless as I'm really only at Warwick to finish my degree, not for any of the social aspects.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Only after 9am lectures I felt particularly exhausted. Just make sure you have a lot of reading material for the train journeys - its also a good time to proof read essays/diss chapters.

I had the same thoughts about the careers services before but I was impressed how much they helped. I was stuck on writing my Warwick Taught Masters scholarship app so I sought advice, and my advisor really helped me understand what they looked for and how to structure it.

But yeah, with the money saved I took a few holidays during the academic year to see my Erasmus friends. It was a great way to just forget about everything if you feel like you're burning out.
Reply 6
Only after 9am lectures I felt particularly exhausted. Just make sure you have a lot of reading material for the train journeys - its also a good time to proof read essays/diss chapters.

I had the same thoughts about the careers services before but I was impressed how much they helped. I was stuck on writing my Warwick Taught Masters scholarship app so I sought advice, and my advisor really helped me understand what they looked for and how to structure it.

But yeah, with the money saved I took a few holidays during the academic year to see my Erasmus friends. It was a great way to just forget about everything if you feel like you're burning out.

Ok thanks. How much do you think you saved? Also was your main motivation financial or were there any other reasons you lived at home?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Ok thanks. How much do you think you saved? Also was your main motivation financial or were there any other reasons you lived at home?

Posted from TSR Mobile

My friends already had living arrangements (I did 6 months Erasmus so didn't have to do 4 years). Chichester's a small town and far too dull for me so I didn't really enjoy living there so much. A lot of the resources for my dissertation were also in London so in the end I figured it was just best to be in London. Financial side was a plus, but I didn't prioritise it - I just did what I thought would be best for me academically.
Reply 8
My friends already had living arrangements (I did 6 months Erasmus so didn't have to do 4 years). Chichester's a small town and far too dull for me so I didn't really enjoy living there so much. A lot of the resources for my dissertation were also in London so in the end I figured it was just best to be in London. Financial side was a plus, but I didn't prioritise it - I just did what I thought would be best for me academically.

Fair enough, thanks. I'll judge in October. Academically I will be better in London yes. Hope you enjoy your MA

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
So this isn;t necessarily from london its to but....

I’m soon to be starting uni London based and will be living at home in Hersham (Surrey) and will be heading to New Cross station from here at least 3-5 days a week. Obviously I’ll be travelling peak time from about 8-8.30AM aiming to arrive about 10am. I do have an oyster card and a 16-25, but I’m trying to work out the cheapest way for me to go as well as the quickest, as season ticket travelcards are so expensive.

One way I have thought is to go from Hersham to Surbiton via paper return ticket which is £5, and then use my oyster from Surbiton to New Cross. I know the zone fares between Waterloo and New Cross yet don’t fully understand the time caps. But also I don’t know how to find out how much it charges between Surb and Waterloo.
What is the easiest way to explain this baring in mind I have only used my oyster by short bus journeys in Surbiton? Or are there any other suggestions you have in taking that whole journey?
Basically I’m hoping to get something for about under 15 a day if possible
Thanks
Original post by LPerfcee
So this isn;t necessarily from london its to but....

I’m soon to be starting uni London based and will be living at home in Hersham (Surrey) and will be heading to New Cross station from here at least 3-5 days a week. Obviously I’ll be travelling peak time from about 8-8.30AM aiming to arrive about 10am. I do have an oyster card and a 16-25, but I’m trying to work out the cheapest way for me to go as well as the quickest, as season ticket travelcards are so expensive.

One way I have thought is to go from Hersham to Surbiton via paper return ticket which is £5, and then use my oyster from Surbiton to New Cross. I know the zone fares between Waterloo and New Cross yet don’t fully understand the time caps. But also I don’t know how to find out how much it charges between Surb and Waterloo.
What is the easiest way to explain this baring in mind I have only used my oyster by short bus journeys in Surbiton? Or are there any other suggestions you have in taking that whole journey?
Basically I’m hoping to get something for about under 15 a day if possible
Thanks

I'm no expert really. Tfl fares are complex. If I were you I'd compare a pay as you go journey over an average week to how much one week would cost with a season travelcard.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi again, thanks for your help before. How many days did you have to go in for during your final year? I've got my timetable and only have a 3 day week this year with Mondays and Fridays completely off, so this could be do-able potentially.
Work out how much travelling will cost. Living in Coventry is really cheap

I live in Coventry and commute to London. My rent is significantly less than the amount I spend on trains!
Original post by goodtogallop
Work out how much travelling will cost. Living in Coventry is really cheap

I live in Coventry and commute to London. My rent is significantly less than the amount I spend on trains!

Thanks I know but I'll be in halls spending 3.5k for the year, when I could be commuting and only spend 1.5k over the year. Could do with an extra 2 grand post graduation :smile:

And you commute to London from Coventry every day? Wow how long is your commute one way door to door?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks I know but I'll be in halls spending 3.5k for the year, when I could be commuting and only spend 1.5k over the year. Could do with an extra 2 grand post graduation :smile:

And you commute to London from Coventry every day? Wow how long is your commute one way door to door?

I've only just started commuting, but its an hour train and then 5/10 min walk either side. Not sure yet if I'll be doing it every day or how much I can do from home.

How many days a week do you have to be at uni?
Original post by goodtogallop
I've only just started commuting, but its an hour train and then 5/10 min walk either side. Not sure yet if I'll be doing it every day or how much I can do from home.

How many days a week do you have to be at uni?

That's not too bad of a commute. You must work close to Euston station?

I'm only in 3 days (not even 3 full days!) I have Mondays and Fridays off, so most of the week wouldn't be commuting. I'm considering staying in a hotel/hostel for 2 nights a week as another option, as that would cost about the same as transport just less tiring.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest