The Student Room Group

Did the High Fliers Report 2014 influence your uni choices?

Here it is:
http://www.highfliers.co.uk/download/GMReport14.pdf

If you scroll down to the bottom it shows you the unis most target by employers for 2014. After seeing this, I've changed some of my uni choices...anyone done the same?
Reply 1
The list doesn't entirely surprise me - and stats are going to be largely skewed by the particular sector (i.e. which companies) are counted there. Some universities have actually very good departments in certain subjects, but their overall reputation wouldn't cause you to reel them off on a list of the best. For that reason, i'd approach changing choices based entirely on this with caution.

Edit: another very interesting thing to consider would be the size of the institution - it looks like Manchester and Notthingham are near double in size (quick google on enrollment figure from wikipedia) compared to the handful below at least. Reaching more graduates by going there...
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Nymthae
The list doesn't entirely surprise me - and stats are going to be largely skewed by the particular sector (i.e. which companies) are counted there. Some universities have actually very good departments in certain subjects, but their overall reputation wouldn't cause you to reel them off on a list of the best. For that reason, i'd approach changing choices based entirely on this with caution.

That's true! I'm not changing entirely based on this, it's partly due to the fact I don't have the entry requirements for the top unis like Oxbridge, but also because it must be somewhat reliable (?) idk...
Reply 3
Original post by lightningdoritos
That's true! I'm not changing entirely based on this, it's partly due to the fact I don't have the entry requirements for the top unis like Oxbridge, but also because it must be somewhat reliable (?) idk...

Well, see my edit for a start. Definitely will be other factors at play like relative size, and probably location-ish does still have an impact. I've done a placement this year, but my company actually only sent out the advertisement to a handful of universities - all in within X distance of the company, so there's always going to be a bit of luck you can't account for (being in the right place at the right time).

Primarily, you need to go somewhere you'll thrive as much as possible. If you're happy, you're engaged more, and you'll do better. More likely to involve yourself in other things and expand your horizons. The figures here mainly correspond to employers going out to universities and targeting their advertisements at them, but as an individual: don't rely on that, go find companies you like yourself, go and find out. If you've got a decent degree and come across well, they won't rule you out just based on the fact you're not listed within that list of 25. As a lot of large companies use online systems now anyway you can see the jobs for yourself, and apply regardless. Getting a job is a very proactive thing.
Original post by Nymthae
Well, see my edit for a start. Definitely will be other factors at play like relative size, and probably location-ish does still have an impact. I've done a placement this year, but my company actually only sent out the advertisement to a handful of universities - all in within X distance of the company, so there's always going to be a bit of luck you can't account for (being in the right place at the right time).

Primarily, you need to go somewhere you'll thrive as much as possible. If you're happy, you're engaged more, and you'll do better. More likely to involve yourself in other things and expand your horizons. The figures here mainly correspond to employers going out to universities and targeting their advertisements at them, but as an individual: don't rely on that, go find companies you like yourself, go and find out. If you've got a decent degree and come across well, they won't rule you out just based on the fact you're not listed within that list of 25. As a lot of large companies use online systems now anyway you can see the jobs for yourself, and apply regardless. Getting a job is a very proactive thing.

I'll definitely keep that in mind, thanks. I'll have another look at my choices then! (so stressful aaah)
Reply 5
Nottingham seems to have secured the top position for graduate recruitment again (so well done!)

The data provided is in no doubt a good general indication, however I think it should be taken with a pinch of salt. As an example Nottingham might attract many retail or ICT companies and few investment banks whereas Oxbridge might attract more IBs and no retailers/ICT companies which although means Nottingham attracts a better range of employment the actual quality might be better at other universities based on what an individual person specifically wants.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest