The Student Room Group

What courses can I apply for?

Is there a website where I can just input my chosen A level subjects and then a list of related university courses will pop up? Or do I literally have to go to each university and manually find one that interests me?
ucas have a search tool where you put a keyword in (ie "english") and courses relating to it come up

If you're looking more generally, unistats has a good system that's somewhat vague where you click all the areas you're interested in.

As for putting your a-levels in and getting results, no not really. You'll need to know roughly what you want to study.
Original post by mizuvoid
Is there a website where I can just input my chosen A level subjects and then a list of related university courses will pop up? Or do I literally have to go to each university and manually find one that interests me?

Do you really have no idea at all what you want to study? Which of your current subjects do you enjoy the most?

Do you know what you want to do? If so, you could work backwards, from the career to the appropriate degree.

However, you are signing up to study one subject (or two in joint honours) and only that/those subjects for 3 years, and you do need to have more than a passing interest in the subject in order to cope with that and do well. Think about your interests- what do you enjoy reading about/learning about/doing in your spare time?
Reply 3
Original post by loperdoper
ucas have a search tool where you put a keyword in (ie "english") and courses relating to it come up

If you're looking more generally, unistats has a good system that's somewhat vague where you click all the areas you're interested in.

As for putting your a-levels in and getting results, no not really. You'll need to know roughly what you want to study.
Thanks for the website, naval architecture has caught my eye.

Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
Do you really have no idea at all what you want to study? Which of your current subjects do you enjoy the most?

Do you know what you want to do? If so, you could work backwards, from the career to the appropriate degree.

However, you are signing up to study one subject (or two in joint honours) and only that/those subjects for 3 years, and you do need to have more than a passing interest in the subject in order to cope with that and do well. Think about your interests- what do you enjoy reading about/learning about/doing in your spare time?
I honestly don't care what I study, as long as it's not something that I know I really don't like, such as Chemistry. I do Maths, Physics and Chemistry if you're wondering. I'm okay with maths, so I guess I'll try and find some courses that are related.
Thanks for the website, naval architecture has caught my eye.

I honestly don't care what I study, as long as it's not something that I know I really don't like, such as Chemistry. I do Maths, Physics and Chemistry if you're wondering. I'm okay with maths, so I guess I'll try and find some courses that are related.

I think it's easy to underestimate how intensive the study at uni can be. You do really need to enjoy your course.

If you enjoy maths and physics, have you considered something engineering related? Mechanical or civil engineering perhaps?
Reply 5
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
I think it's easy to underestimate how intensive the study at uni can be. You do really need to enjoy your course.

If you enjoy maths and physics, have you considered something engineering related? Mechanical or civil engineering perhaps?
Yeah, I've looked at the entry requirements for Mechanical Engineering quite a lot. The course seems okay, I won't hate or dislike it, but I probably won't like it either. As for civil engineering, I haven't looked at that yet, but I'll check it out now. Thanks.
Yeah, I've looked at the entry requirements for Mechanical Engineering quite a lot. The course seems okay, I won't hate or dislike it, but I probably won't like it either. As for civil engineering, I haven't looked at that yet, but I'll check it out now. Thanks.

If you're unsure, remember that you do not have to go to uni next year or even at all. Why waste £27,000 on a degree that you're not interested in?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by Coffeetime
If you're unsure, remember that you do not have to go to uni next year or even at all. Why waste £27,000 on a degree that you're not interested in?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks, but I can't really see a future for myself if I don't go to university. I've never heard about stories or anything about people who didn't go to university. Maybe apprenticeships? But I literally have no clue how those work and my guts tell me that I'd just hate it. All my friends are talking about the universities they're looking at and I guess I want to go into further education like them.

P.S. Wow, I never knew there was TSR app, definitely got to get it :tongue:
Thanks, but I can't really see a future for myself if I don't go to university. I've never heard about stories or anything about people who didn't go to university. Maybe apprenticeships? But I literally have no clue how those work and my guts tell me that I'd just hate it. All my friends are talking about the universities they're looking at and I guess I want to go into further education like them.

P.S. Wow, I never knew there was TSR app, definitely got to get it :tongue:

I'm sure there's something amazing out there for you! You could always take a gap year? And the app is awesome. I'm so glad I have it!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending