The Student Room Group

The Cytoskeleton

So I know that it's made up of microfilaments, intermediate filaments and microtubules, I know their diameters and what they're made of etc, but my question is how does the cytoskeleton help the cell and organelles within it to move? Do the microtubules go on to form cilia and undulipodia? And if so id this how they allow the cell to move? But in that case, how does it help organelles to move? I'm doing OCR A AS if that makes any difference, thanks! :smile:
Original post by Qaiys
So I know that it's made up of microfilaments, intermediate filaments and microtubules, I know their diameters and what they're made of etc, but my question is how does the cytoskeleton help the cell and organelles within it to move? Do the microtubules go on to form cilia and undulipodia? And if so id this how they allow the cell to move? But in that case, how does it help organelles to move? I'm doing OCR A AS if that makes any difference, thanks! :smile:

There is an extent of physical attachment and "contraction" that goes on with the cytoskeleton (kind of like what spindles do during mitosis), but your body also has clever ways of moving things like endosomes about using the cytoskeleton - look up a concept called the "kinetochore". :smile:

Cell movement definitely can be produced by the cytoskeleton outside of things like cilia and flagellae - think of processes like chemotaxis (cells "sniffing out" a scent): the deformations in the plasma membrane (a sort of "crawling") that result in cell movement are brought about by changes in the cytoskeleton!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
There is an extent of physical attachment and "contraction" that goes on with the cytoskeleton (kind of like what spindles do during mitosis), but your body also has clever ways of moving things like endosomes about using the cytoskeleton - look up a concept called the "kinetochore". :smile:

Cell movement definitely can be produced by the cytoskeleton outside of things like cilia and flagellae - think of processes like chemotaxis (cells "sniffing out" a scent): the deformations in the plasma membrane (a sort of "crawling") that result in cell movement are brought about by changes in the cytoskeleton!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thankyou! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending