The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Sick of seeing cyclists on pavements

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JC.
I actually don't get road rage. It's not worth it. When you drive round in something big and comfy these little inconveniences actually stop mattering. Driving round in a tiny little box is certainly much more stressful, though.

Why would they? Cars don't use pavements????

I'll take a few exhaust emissions over stinky cyclists, thanks! :wink:

Strawman.

Horses? I live in a rural area they are everywhere. I think it's pretty irresponsible to take a creature like that out on the road when it's got it's own free will. They are totally unpredictable and I've seen them do all sorts of strange things.
The law says you can take them out on the road, but you take a gamble with your life.

I'm also a biker - I accept when I go out on a bike I take a gamble with my life. That's the risk you take, though.

Buses - peasant trucks. Buy a car.

Pedestrians on roads without pavements... depends on the road. Motorway / Duel carriageway etc - don't be there.
Country roads... no problem. Walk against traffic as per highway code to protect yourself.

I think for the most part people do cooperate. You don't have to love something to cooperate or even tolerate it do you?

High insurance? Really? £189 fully comp pal. That's for the year not per month! :biggrin:

You sound like a lovely fella.

Or not...
Reply 81
Original post by SarcasticMel
You sound like a lovely fella.

Or not...

What exactly do you object to?
The amount of damage I can do to myself or a pedestrian on a pavement is negligible compared to what a car can do to me while on the road. My bike is a lot narrower than say, a pram or pushchair so I'm not going to get in the way of people anywhere near as much as other people on the pavements. Doesn't really matter to me if it's illegal - I slow to a crawl when pedestrians are nearby when I'm on my bike. I've found car drivers never show that courtesy to me because hitting a cyclist when you're in a car doesn't pose a risk to life to them. It's not much fun being overtaken by cars 2-3 feet away going at 30mph more than I am!

Having said that, I try to plan my routes to avoid busy roads so I don't feel the need to ride on the pavement much.
Original post by JC.

High insurance? Really? £189 fully comp pal. That's for the year not per month! :biggrin:

Lowest quote I can get is £6000, third party only pal. Not everyone can afford a car, hence why they cycle.
Original post by JC.
What exactly do you object to?

Peasant.
Reply 85
Until we get Dutch style cyclist routes, I don't think cyclist can truly be safe on our roads.
Reply 86
Original post by JC.
Why would they? Cars don't use pavements????

When emerging from driveways. They only expect pedestrians which will be moving slowly and will hear cars more easily. A bike can easily do 15mph, whereas people will tend to walk at less than 5mph.

Regards the low insurance premium, aren't you a little old for TSR??
Reply 87
Original post by goldenfish
Lowest quote I can get is £6000, third party only pal. Not everyone can afford a car, hence why they cycle.

You're not looking in the right places then.
The last Porsche 911 I had cost me a tenth of your "best" quote to insure and I thought that was pretty steep!
Reply 88
Original post by 60065
When emerging from driveways. They only expect pedestrians which will be moving slowly and will hear cars more easily. A bike can easily do 15mph, whereas people will tend to walk at less than 5mph.

Regards the low insurance premium, aren't you a little old for TSR??

Perhaps thick people don't look... How fast are you actually going to be moving at when you back out of a driveway? 3 or 4 mph?

I wasn't aware there was an age limit on this forum? :rolleyes:
Reply 89
I reckon the old chestnut problem of bikes on pavements (which is actually mainly annoying rather than dangerous) will continue until we make reasonable provision for cyclists. For reasonable provision...include Dutch style engineering (way ahead of even our best facilities), proper speed enforcement on the roads, a Dutch style law to protect cyclists on the road...and simply a new, Dutch-style respect for our fellow human beings. Yes..essentially contract out our local transport infrastructure to Holland and all will be well! In Holland it's obvious...sail before steam!

I think the UK is becoming gradually more bike friendly anyway but it's soooo slow! Meantime we're all getting bad tempered and unfit!
Original post by WNB
Until we get Dutch style cyclist routes, I don't think cyclist can truly be safe on our roads.

Original post by togrooly
I reckon the old chestnut problem of bikes on pavements (which is actually mainly annoying rather than dangerous) will continue until we make reasonable provision for cyclists. For reasonable provision...include Dutch style engineering (way ahead of even our best facilities), proper speed enforcement on the roads, a Dutch style law to protect cyclists on the road...and simply a new, Dutch-style respect for our fellow human beings. Yes..essentially contract out our local transport infrastructure to Holland and all will be well! In Holland it's obvious...sail before steam!

I think the UK is becoming gradually more bike friendly anyway but it's soooo slow! Meantime we're all getting bad tempered and unfit!

You guys seen this video on the Dutch cycle lanes?

http://www.wimp.com/cyclepaths/

I really miss Amsterdam and the constant cycling. I just don't feel as safe on English roads.
Original post by SirMasterKey

I really miss Amsterdam and the constant cycling. I just don't feel as safe on English roads.

Hup Holland.
Cyclists should be banned from roads. They are a danger to themselves and other road users.
Original post by SirMasterKey

Would love to cycle in Holland! I was in Germany for a wee while and everyone cycled everywhere... It was a completely different culture and the attitudes were so different - it was so fun and so relaxing to cycle there!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Manitude
The amount of damage I can do to myself or a pedestrian on a pavement is negligible compared to what a car can do to me while on the road.

I don't cycle but this is what I was going to say. It is just too dangerous on the roads (in a big city anyway which is where I live) to cycle, I've got no problem with cyclists using the pavement. It's just common sense, there are too many idiots about. There is no way I'd use the roads if I cycled.
Reply 95
Original post by queensboy
Cyclists should be banned from roads. They are a danger to themselves and other road users.

So are motorists.
In my opinion, the issue is with the fact that cyclists will always seem to win legal battles against car drivers. No matter how in the wrong the cyclist is, the car driver has to swallow the responsibility.

Cyclists on pavements and in precincts are extremely frustrating. It's like they haven't got the balls to cycle on the roads like they're meant to.
I've only just taken up cycling and I don't want to be put off it. I guess the only thing I can do is look for these signs:
1291813227101-1dp3f3ep3akt6-280-75.jpg11949851321226482470cycles.svg.med.pngsign_cycles shared with pedestrians.jpg
Original post by Butterfly9595
Would love to cycle in Holland! I was in Germany for a wee while and everyone cycled everywhere... It was a completely different culture and the attitudes were so different - it was so fun and so relaxing to cycle there!

Posted from TSR Mobile

exactly! There are a lot more cycle paths in big cities and cars take better care as well.
It's so much cheaper to take the bike instead of the car/tube/bus, it's good for the environment and excellent for your health. what is not to love?
It's really not that big a deal to just overtake a bike and continue driving. In most cases that will take you like a minute...?
Getting stuck in traffic is way worse and that'll never happen to you with a bike!

And ofc. bikes shouldn't drive on the pavement, that can lead to accidents and annoys nice old grandmas and sweet little kids :P
Original post by 60065
So are motorists.

Roads were designed for cars.

If you have ever driven a manual car, you will realise how much of a pain cyclists are.

Latest

Trending

Trending