The Student Room Group

Can I strictly only apply for one type of course with my personal statement?

For instance, if I talk about wanting to do mechanical engineering in my personal statement, it would be unwise to apply for a aeronautical course. And similarly, if I were to talk a bit about both of the topics, I shouldn't apply for a pure mechanical engineering course.
Your PS will most likely be geared towards one subject, unless you can pull off making it general enough to encompass two subjects.
Reply 2
Thanks for your reply :smile:
Reply 3
If applying for engineering don't mention which type (and also other subjects). Mechanical and aeronautical engineering overlap so you could talk about a specific topic that overlaps e.g. fluid mechanics that interests you.

I manage to make a PS for both math and engineering.
Some courses are far easier to work around than others - find commonalities as suggested above. However, admissions tutors may be alerted to the fact that you are not mentioning a particular type of engineering by name, even if the topics you are talking about are relevant to that area of engineering
Reply 5
Is it a bad thing if I don't specify which engineering I want to do? Would it show that I'm not as interested in this course as other candidates since I've split my interest?
It kind of depends on how you word it really

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending